Miss Marvel and She-Hulk coming to the MCU via Disney+

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I mean... its in the title. Discuss :) I'm pretty excited about both of these.
shevek
Producer
Producer

(And Moon Knight!)

Best news of the year!

This confirms that they are firmly going back to the name 'She-Hulk' (which they already started doing in Avengers) after that Mariko Tamaki misstep.

In the comics, though, she looks terrible right now..an over-roided man-beast. Hopefully in the series they have the sense to make her both muscular *and* sexy, and to use two different actresses so the difference between their forms is highly apparent....because if they do, and they stick her into a reasonably tight costume, they will have a serious hit on their hands which EVERYONE will watch, because this could be written as a very fun romp in which the Hulk is also involved.

Shulkie could quickly become Marvel's most popular superheroine, and then hopefully get into some movies. Let the super-lawyering (and the shrripping) begin!

(One problem, though, is having to wait until 2022 for this. A lot of things could happen in the meantime)
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Pretty sure her appearance in the comic books right now is intentionally different and supposed to be a result of something bad that happened. Once she fixes the 'hulk out loss of intellect' issue and returns to normal Shulk, I'm sure a lot of things will revert to normal.

That said... While I think we may see tighti-ish outfit, I wouldn't hold my breath for her classic swimsuit look. As for actresses? They could do just one if they just say 'she's always green' Hulk himself is now 'the best of both worlds' so if Jen becomes a hulk now, its entirely probable the reason for her above normal hulk intellect from the comic logic is simply a result of knowing how to balance herself as thanks to her cousins revelations on the matter.....

Though I still say not seeing Bruce work it out with the Hulk ON SCREEN is the biggest travesty ever.
shevek
Producer
Producer

She-Hulk recent runs in the comics have *not* been the happy-go-lucky style for quite a while. First, Mariko Tamaki subjected readers to a depressed and angry Jen who suffered from PTSD, watched cooking shows on Youtube and actually turned *gray*, and then this latest man-muscles run in Avengers has been punctuated by comments from the character about how she prefers to look 'ugly'. It's not promising, and there's no indication it will change in the near future unless there's some kind of mandate from the top (and Sana Amanat is at the top of such decision making a lot of the time).

It would be still be fine if she was always green (she was perma-green for quite a while in the Dan Slott run) but one would think that despite the CGI expense, the showrunners would at some point want to show the drama (and for us, the literal orgasmic power) of the transformation. And you would need two actresses for that. Period.

--------------------------------

Meanwhile, I didn't want to say anything about Ms. Marvel so as not to start a shitstorm, but here are the facts:

As of today, the new showrunner for Ms. Marvel (a British political comedienne named Bisha K. Ali with no previous experience helming any TV productions) has deleted over 5000 tweets, and locked down not only all of her social media accounts but even made her *website* private. From what I can glean, Ms. Ali is pretty similar to Rashida Tlaib in her political outlook, and Disney probably didn't want to have to deal with that. They just want her to make the hot dogs so they can sell them.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
4 years ago
She-Hulk recent runs in the comics have *not* been the happy-go-lucky style for quite a while. First, Mariko Tamaki subjected readers to a depressed and angry Jen who suffered
Meanwhile, I didn't want to say anything about Ms. Marvel so as not to start a shitstorm, but here are the facts:

As of today, the new showrunner for Ms. Marvel (a British political comedienne named Bisha K. Ali with no previous experience helming any TV productions) has deleted over 5000 tweets, and locked down not only all of her social media accounts but even made her *website* private. From what I can glean, Ms. Ali is pretty similar to Rashida Tlaib in her political outlook, and Disney probably didn't want to have to deal with that. They just want her to make the hot dogs so they can sell them.
Oh no! Someone isn't available on the Twitter to complain at. We're all gonna die!!!

The world would be better without social media anyway. None of this seems like anything but what every human being on earth should already be doing.

But seriously, after the James Gunn incident, maybe they go through their employee's twitters now for anything from that human beings retarded 'train of random thought recorder' twitter feed for anything that might be even mildly offensive or misconstrued.

Twitter's the f'king devil. It encourages the briefest of employed thoughts, leaving too little room to deep dive into what you mean by whatever it is you said, and encourages you to put as little thought into what you're actually saying as possible. It's easy to write out something you don't mean, it's easy to be occupationally suicidal on total accident. Seriously. Fuck Twitter. Fuck everyone whose ever worked on its creation, fuck everyone whose ever advertised it. If you use it, you should stop. You don't have to, its not your fault you got sucked into the twitting fad, but you should stop using it. Every single one of you. Find a Social Media outlet that encourages putting in more thought to what you're saying than you'd put into wiping your bottom after a shit.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

https://deadline.com/2020/09/iman-vella ... 234587969/
EXCLUSIVE: After a long and hard search, Marvel has found its Ms. Marvel. The studio is tapping newcomer Iman Vellani to star in its Disney+ series based on the comic-book character. Marvel and the streamer recently named Adil El Arbi and Bilall Fallah, Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy and Meera Menon as directors on the project.

Marvel had no comment.

Ms. Marvel hails from writer Bisha K. Ali and centers on Kamala Khan, a Pakistani-American teen based in New Jersey. Ms. Marvel first appeared in 2014 as Marvel’s first Muslim character to star in her own title, and she will become Marvel Studios’ first onscreen Muslim hero. Marvel Studios chief Kevin Feige has said that in addition to appearing on the small screen, Kamala Khan will be included in future Marvel films.

The plan always was to stay true to the character in finding the right actress to play the role, even if it meant offering a person that was not well known to the public.

Marvel and Disney+ have been hard at work setting up their development slate in recent weeks by not only setting Tatiana Maslany to lead its She-Hulk but also giving Samuel L. Jackson’s Nick Fury character his own series. The studio also announced that WandaVision would be the first show to premiere on the streamer later this year.

Although this marks Vellani’s first major Hollywood production, she already has made tries to help diversify the industry. At the 2019 Toronto Film Festival, she was part of the Next Wave Committee, which was tasked with adding a special tag to films — already programmed into other categories — which they believed would resonate with their peers.
Damselbinder

Do you find the taste of Twitter... bitter?
shevek
Producer
Producer

They missed a golden opportunity not reaching out to Malala Yousafzai to play Kamala Khan. Think about it.
Damselbinder

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
They missed a golden opportunity not reaching out to Malala Yousafzai to play Kamala Khan. Think about it.
What the -

But she's not an actress. And she's a Nobel laureate. Why would she want to play a character in some dumb superhero thing? That would be beyond insane.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago
What the -

But she's not an actress. And she's a Nobel laureate. Why would she want to play a character in some dumb superhero thing? That would be beyond insane.
Apologies for not making it clear that I was joking.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Shoulda used the smiley face Shevek. Schoolboy error.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Damselbinder

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago
What the -

Apologies for not making it clear that I was joking.
Well, I don't get why that was supposed to be funny, but at least you're not completely cracked.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I took it as a dig at the politically aware writers who do crazy shit like that because it ticks a box
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

First look at Iman as Ms Marvel:
Gallery: http://www.justjared.com/2021/05/01/ima ... et-photos/
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Suit looks good. wonder what polish they'll throw on it in Post.
Philo Hunter
Overlord
Overlord

cannonfodder wrote:
2 years ago
Suit looks good. wonder what polish they'll throw on it in Post.
Perhaps it wil be... (drum roll) embiggened?
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

shevek
Producer
Producer

Updates on both series. Just the facts, with some analysis:

This is apparently what Jameela Jamil looks like as Titania.
She's got the overly made-up trashy look and red tresses down for the part, which is good, but she is rather slim, so how on Earth are they going to make her look both bulky and busty enough to actually play the part of Mary MacPherran? Also, no mask? (Maskripper will have something to say about that). Guess we'll see how that turns out.

I also find it coincidentally anagrammatical that the actress playing Jen Walters is named "Tatiana", and she is fighting "Titania" :)
an-earth-girl-with-orange-hair-1633090503.jpg
an-earth-girl-with-orange-hair-1633090503.jpg (105.76 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
Meanwhile over in Jersey City, Marvel dropped the new Ms. Marvel trailer.
Notice that the series has retconned Kamala's powers to be essentially Green Lantern-style constructs instead of Mister Fantastic
stretchiness and embiggening. And no mention of her being an Inhuman. What's interesting is that Ya Boi Zack predicted three years ago that they'd have to change her power set if they put her in the MCU, and he was exactly correct.

Old powers:
2022.03.15-07.52-msmarvel-6230ee790ccd4.jpg
2022.03.15-07.52-msmarvel-6230ee790ccd4.jpg (258.75 KiB) Viewed 1143 times
New powers: (in trailer)

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I the previews it looks like Ms. marvel has a different set of powers. Instead of stretch its some kind of energy projections.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
I the previews it looks like Ms. marvel has a different set of powers. Instead of stretch its some kind of energy projections.
I think with Fantastic 4 coming out they are wary of having two stretchy characters? From the trailers it looks like she'll still do the streatchy stuff... just it'll be sort of energy projection streatchy instead of actually streatching.
Damselbinder

I think the change is for the best.

Proof:
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Stretchy powers look dumb. Smart move changing them. Some stuff just works better on a page.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dogfish wrote:
2 years ago
Stretchy powers look dumb. Smart move changing them. Some stuff just works better on a page.
Sure, but the point is that the stretchy powers were fine "on the page" for seven years (and for several years, Zack had predicted that the powers would be changed for live-action). It's just that the stretchy powers are hard to CGI (and they also look physically gross) in live-action, so the decision was almost inevitable.

So, now that we know that Kamala's powers in the live-action show are basically "Blue Lantern constructs", will any new comic starring her now retcon her powers to the same thing? Or will she have different powers in the comics than she does in the show? Nothing unusual about that - the MCU for a number of years has been presenting versions of their heroes that cannot be found in the comics any longer.

In fact, it will be interesting to see what happens overall with Kamala in the comics in the near future. With both "Ms. Marvel" and "Marvels" coming out, they'll want to capitalize on any popularity with some published title. But it doesn't look like Kamala currently stars in any book: the Ms. Marvel run stopped in 2019, and the Champions run (of which she is a member) stopped last year.

We'll have to see what they do with her in print for the future, especially given the big rumor that her co-creator (and the real-life insert she is based upon) Sana Amanat may have been fired from Marvel for certain in-office improprieties (she did not tweet for a 3-month period, since December). And yes, I realize Kamala was co-created by five people, but Amanat was obviously the main driving force in the frequent use of Kamala in all of Marvel's varied media (including that fabled visit to Obama in the White House, and the Seth Myers show interview, etc.) [note: I acknowledge the rumor is unverified, but there have been a lot of people talking about it.]

Think about it: "changing characters 25%" is a thing, and it could well have been that *another* reason for the change in Kamala's powers was to avoid paying Amanat and the co-creators royalties for the character in the future. But that's just speculation!

Zack's take on Amanat's current status as "Schrodinger's Employee". Key quote is "They're doing the press run-up for Ms. Marvel and I'm not seeing her being interviewed anywhere..."

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Think about it: "changing characters 25%" is a thing, and it could well have been that *another* reason for the change in Kamala's powers was to avoid paying Amanat and the co-creators royalties for the character in the future. But that's just speculation!
Yes this. Could be they want to avoid royalties or other issues. But I lean toward the stretchy think is weird, hard to pull off, looks cheesy on screen and, for a woman, could lead to off jokes.

Also yes the power looks "dorky" in the comics and I was surprised they gave her that vs something that more matches Capt Marvel. She should be calling her self Ms. Fantastic given her similarity to Reed Richards or Ms. Elasti after Elasti-Girl from Doom Patrol. They are giving her Capt. Marvel like powers in this on screen adaptation which makes more sense however Capt, Marvel powers are so wonky and ill-defined and all over the map its hard to define what that is. "She does stuff with energy" doesn't really cut it.

I'm sure it'll be OK. Its for kids. Really its more if the show has a good story idea.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

If Disney wants to screw somebody out of money they generally don't bother being devious about it. See the Black Widow stuff with Scarlett Johansen. It's the Mouse. You want to argue or do you want to work again?