Darkly Reimagined shows or movies

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I have noticed a welcomed trend recently, where older pretty innocent or innocuous shows, comics or cartoons are being reimagined with a fresh, darker take. The Archie comics became Riverdale with a murder mystery at it’s core, the recent Nancy Drew series had ghost and, my favorite, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. CAOS took the cutie teen which and had her killing people, running around in her bra and panties while taking over the underworld (as in Hell).

If you were going to reimagine a show from the past and recreate it for modern TV or streaming, which would you choose and how would you change it?

I’ll go first, Both the Archies and Sabrina started our as Hanna-Barbera cartoons and I like the way they amped them up. Continuing with that, I would like Penelope Pitstop to get a similar, hard R treatment. The basic premise of the show starts there pretty much anyway. An older male lawyer who has been embezzling from his clients estate realizes that when his pretty, young ward reaches the age of majority (21) she is going to find out about his crimes. What is his only option? Why to kill her of course! After failing with a few of your typical “accidents”, he decides to to lure onto the open road and takes a more direct, hands on approach.... He pursues her across a Depression era America where people are readily for sale and OSHA standards for industrial equipment are yet to be invented....
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I LOVE those ideas!!!
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

batgirl1969 wrote:
3 years ago
I LOVE those ideas!!!
TV in the 1960s was cool in that they sugar coated everything. When I was a kid, I thought married couples would sleep in twin beds. At the same time they would be incredibly misogynistic and patronizing towards women (James Bond, Matt Helm, Nora Clavicle). Spy shows always had their arm candy females, like the Wild, Wild West or Bat-villains with their molls.

One of my big crushes when I was a kid was Wrangler Jane on F Troop. She was spunky, blond and independent minded girl who was a crack shot and fearless. I was always hoping she would get a chance to investigate crooked gambler, rustlers or claim jumpers. It never happened (except in my imagination).

I would love to see her character rebooted into the the Wild, Wild West universe. Having her traveling the untamed West for the nascent Secret Service. Investigating Dr Lovelace and his evil female arm candy or infiltrating bank robbing carnivals and finding trouble and danger at every turn.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Care Bares - The Quickenning! There can only be ONE!
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Care Bares - The Quickenning! There can only be ONE!
One Care Bare is too many...
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Get Smart revived correctly. KAOS has seized control of the US government by getting a failed businessman and reality TV show star elected president. He then at Siegfried's direction has thrown the world into chaos.

Wait this really happened.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago
Get Smart revived correctly. KAOS has seized control of the US government by getting a failed businessman and reality TV show star elected president. He then at Siegfried's direction has thrown the world into chaos.

Oh please don't play "two wrongs don't make a right as long as I get away with my wrong first". Lets leave out the politics.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I think a prequel to get smart would be cool, “Get 99”. Where a young, hip 99 is out fighting Chaos on her own. She was one of my childhood crushes...
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Visitor wrote:
3 years ago

Heh

I think we've got a netflix!