Wonder Girl TV series

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

https://deadline.com/2020/11/wonder-gir ... 234616503/
EXCLUSIVE: Greg Berlanti and the CW are breaking more ground in superhero representation with their latest DC series project.

The network is developing Wonder Girl, a drama series based on the DC characters created by Joëlle Jones. It hails from Queen of the South executive producer/co-showrunner Dailyn Rodriguez and Berlanti Productions.

Written by Rodriguez, Wonder Girl centers on Yara Flor, a Latina Dreamer who was born of an Amazonian Warrior and a Brazilian River God, learns that she is Wonder Girl. With her newfound power must fight the evil forces that would seek to destroy the world.

This would mark the first Latina superhero title character of a DC TV series. Rodriguez, who is the daughter of Cuban immigrants, is executive producing with Berlanti Prods.’ Greg Berlanti, Sarah Schechter and David Madden. Berlanti Productions produces in association with Warner Bros. Television.

The series tells the backstory/origin story of the DC Comics character of Yara Flor, who was recently revealed as a new Wonder Woman. Yara will make her comic book appearance this January in Future State: Wonder Woman, part of DC’s Future State event written and drawn by Jones.

At the CW, Wonder Girl will be looking to join Berlanti Prods’ existing DC Universe, which includes Batwoman, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, The Flash, the upcoming Superman and Lois, Supergirl — which will be wrapping its run with the upcoming sixth season — and Black Lightning.

Batwoman and Black Lightning, respectively, introduced the first gay lead character — male or female — and the first Black lead of a live-action DC superhero series.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Certainly an interesting addition to the CWverse!
As Supergirl is ending it's some sort of replacement in term of a super-powered heroine in the lead.
Don't know what kind of weakness she will have ...if any.
But I hope she doesn't have to deal with god-like villains all the time.
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I hope the producers learned a lesson from the change of Supergirl's costume in the last season...

BARE LEGS!! If you cover up the lovely legs, no show. If you keep the bare legs, you have a show.

Oh, and tie her up as often as possible. I would be an avid watcher. Seriously.

- 'you can tell I'm a leg man, huh?' :ww1:
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
Certainly an interesting addition to the CWverse!
As Supergirl is ending it's some sort of replacement in term of a super-powered heroine in the lead.
Don't know what kind of weakness she will have ...if any.
But I hope she doesn't have to deal with god-like villains all the time.
I hope it is the traditional “loses powers when in bondage”
heroinehunter
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

I agree. The losing abilities while in bondage would be hot! And did I mention BARE LEGS??!!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Not getting my hopes up. I bet she'll be in pants and a leather jacket instead. 😥
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Or like the Supergirl pilot, there is a really short scene to complain about abbreviated costumes that look like the ones from the comic books.

At least she brings her own rope to be tied up. How considerate.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Not getting my hopes up. I bet she'll be in pants and a leather jacket instead. 😥
Well, when filming gets underway on location in Alaska she'll need all the clothing she can get ...
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
argento
Overlord
Overlord

a225  2.jpg
a225 2.jpg (535.72 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
a225 (1).jpg
a225 (1).jpg (250.87 KiB) Viewed 1842 times
I love the character! In fact, I'm doing it, inspired by the Brazilian model Alessandra Ambrosio. What I need to do: finish the mapping coordinates of the head and weld it to the body. I also have to make the textures of the suit and model the loop and strap that holds the shoulder pad. I have a doubt about the wig.Fringe or middle hairstyle
shevek
Producer
Producer

Not getting my hopes up that this will be any good, but I'd love to be surprised. A lot of it depends on the costume, and the likeability of the actress. Once again, this is a role in which it would be appropriate to give Eiza Gonzalez a shot. She was the most interesting character in the Vin Diesel Bloodshot movie.

I much prefer whatever series Berlanti doesn't directly have his hands in (such as Geoff Johns' Stargirl) but it doesn't look like that happens too often. So you get what you get - it's free.

The question I've gotta ask is: how exactly does hiring a Cuban-American producer help with creating a show about a Brazilian superheroine? They don't even speak the same language!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm surprised this didn't happen sooner however the lack luster success of Teen Titans shows that there doesn't seem to be much market for this. That show also had a pretty good Wonder Girl. As for the ethnic part of this, how many times is that going to be used before the makers of these shows realize people are not racist and don't watch a show cause of the color of their skin or how they have relationships.

The other thing is why use Wonder Girl for the name. Why should some ethnic group get a hand-me-down. Instead just make a new heroine or use one from DC that is already a minority.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The obvious choice is to call her Maravilha in Portuguese. Not "Maravilla" which is Spanish. But incredibly, neither name has ever been used for a comic book character (I just checked ComicVine), even though "Mujer Maravilla" has been the Spanish translation for Wonder Woman published in Latin countries for a very long time. Too bad Poderosa is already taken! :)

Also Brazil already has a very established superheroine in the DC Universe: Beatriz Da Costa, aka Fire or Green Flame. She's been in animated shows, and she was even portrayed in live action, both in the aborted Justice League TV pilot *and* the more recent TV show Powerless.

As for Wonder Girl in the Titans show, yes she was fine. For the few minutes in which they actually showed her in the costume (and not fighting in some kind of street clothes), it was tight and powerful and looked great, as did actress Conor Leslie (whom I first saw in the short-lived Yahoo Network show Other Space, alongside Squirrel-Girl-to-be Milana Vayntrub).

None of this makes much sense, but then you see how much worse it can get over at Marvel with the terrible interior art of some of their recent comics, and you have to wind up thanking DC for small favors.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

:weep:
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hmh, neither sad nor happy about it not being picked up by the CW as the heroine has superpowers and no mask.
I wasn't much interested in it so far...that could have changed of course after seeing a trailer or getting more info on the show.
But hopefully, the CW will pick up another female lead show in the near future.
Supergirl is ending, WonderGirl and the possible Canaries show don't get picked up.
So, when Supergirl is gone....Batwoman would be the only female lead hero show on the CW.
If you don't count LoT which is rather a team show (already in the title) even they are now lead by Caity Lotz.

I need more CW shows with masked women! ;-)
Perhaps a Catwoman show?
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...