Thai and other non-English superheroine tv shows

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Krystala, Super Twins and Super Ging are being posted right now on these channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCayTnP ... ofWkTdXclw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMBGrC ... 4ktKT4oNTw

Hopefully they will post also other storic series
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
Krystala, Super Twins and Super Ging are being posted right now on these channels:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCayTnP ... ofWkTdXclw

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMBGrC ... 4ktKT4oNTw

Hopefully they will post also other storic series
Sadly Krystala has been chopped and edited into mini-episodes, with roughly two original episodes being uploaded as five YouTube episodes. They've also clipped the original 4:3 video into 16:9 widescreen, which is why the framing of some scenes looks bizarre.

A couple of months prior to uploading Krystala, the Jeepney TV channel uploaded a short interview with Judy Ann Santos about her time on the show. A while back they also uploaded an interview with Angel Locsin about Darna 2005, so maybe (fingers crossed) they plan to put Angel's Darna up too.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
3 years ago

A couple of months prior to uploading Krystala, the Jeepney TV channel uploaded a short interview with Judy Ann Santos about her time on the show. A while back they also uploaded an interview with Angel Locsin about Darna 2005, so maybe (fingers crossed) they plan to put Angel's Darna up too.

R5
I really hope that happens, but considering she's already connected with another network and has since been replaced by Marian as GMA's main star, there's a chance that show may never see the light of day again. :(
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
shevek
Producer
Producer

Hey, I found another show that nobody has posted about yet. It's from Indonesia.

The heroine is called "Saras 008", and the show ran from 1998 to 2004 in what was apparently "three seasons". Apparently she acquires her martial arts fighting powers from her dead cat, but she also has laser eye beams, the origin of which aren't really explained. It looks like she has three costumes: 1) starts out with a black-and-white spandex outfit; 2) then the costume adds some red and yellow accessories to it; 3) then finally the whole suit switches to pink and yellow.

This guy "Banaman" has lots of Saras 008 clips on his channel - mostly where she gets defeated and beaten up (lots of peril).
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYlg3Q ... foQ/videos
Not sure why, but at the end of most of this guy's videos, there's some kind of cartoon in Indonesian. Not sure why.
Anyway, here's an example of the action and the peril:

I don't know where you can see full episodes, though. Anyone else heard of this show, or anyone posting from Indonesia?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Hey, I found another show that nobody has posted about yet. It's from Indonesia.
Almost all episodes available from INDOSIAR's Vidio channel.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
Sadly Krystala has been chopped and edited into mini-episodes, with roughly two original episodes being uploaded as five YouTube episodes. They've also clipped the original 4:3 video into 16:9 widescreen, which is why the framing of some scenes looks bizarre.
Not only this, but they are also starting to cut some scenes addressing stupid excuses (''the audio was no good, the video was corrupted", etc.) when the reality is that they are censoring specific scenes (ie. people killed).
It's FICTION, it's NOT REAL, they think people are gonna be shocked ? Almost every single movie in the last 100 years have had at least a (fake) death on screen... and in the last dozen years Marvel/DC tv series/movies have had a death rate over the roof, so what the heck ?! :noexpression:
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

helstar wrote:
3 years ago
Not only this, but they are also starting to cut some scenes addressing stupid excuses (''the audio was no good, the video was corrupted", etc.) when the reality is that they are censoring specific scenes (ie. people killed).
It's FICTION, it's NOT REAL, they think people are gonna be shocked ? Almost every single movie in the last 100 years have had at least a (fake) death on screen... and in the last dozen years Marvel/DC tv series/movies have had a death rate over the roof, so what the heck ?! :noexpression:
The video quality has been getting worse with each new upload -- colour drop-outs galore. Large parts are now almost unwatchable because they flicker so badly. If you look at the picture frame by frame it looks like the kind of faults you'd get from a poor magnetic tape signal, which begs the question is it Jeepney's dub that is bad, or have ABS-CBN's master tapes not been archived properly and started to degrade? (The show is only 15 years old !!)

Given that ABS-CBN was forced off air in May when the hard-line Rodrigo Duterte administration delayed the renewal of its broadcast license, I doubt they'd respond to inquiries. I believe Jeepney TV is part of ABS-CBN, and the whole operation may be running on skeleton staff right now. Who knows, maybe the videos have been so bad is a consequence of thousands of ABS-CBN employees being furlough because of the broadcasting ban (on top of the current pandemic.)

R5

EDIT: gave in to temptation and sent JeepneyTV a DM asking about the edits. Not expecting a reply, but worth a try:
Enjoying the Krystala vids on YouTube, but noticed you've had to edit episodes to cut out corrupt video/audio. Can I ask, does ABS-CBN still own copies of the episodes that are damage free? Are the master copies damaged? It would be nice to know that someday we'd be able to enjoy the show in its original 4:3 format, and without any cuts. Thanks.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^Unfortunately, Philippine producers have never been good at archiving past films or shows. This is the reason why many classic shows from the past have been lost forever which is a shame really. Many TV shows were apparently just over-written with new shows to cut down on costs, apparently. This is the reason why we may never get to see films such as the first Supergirl movie predating the DC version, and a couple of Batwoman films from the 60's.

I really would have loved to see these films:

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
^Unfortunately, Philippine producers have never been good at archiving past films or shows. This is the reason why many classic shows from the past have been lost forever which is a shame really. Many TV shows were apparently just over-written with new shows to cut down on costs, apparently. This is the reason why we may never get to see films such as the first Supergirl movie predating the DC version, and a couple of Batwoman films from the 60's.
You'll be glad to know at least one print of the Pinky Montilla Supergirl still exists, in the hands of a private collector named Andrew Leavold.

One of the films I'd like to see is Wander Woman Si Ako, a 1980 spoof on (we assume), the Lynda Carter Wonder Woman show. It starred former beauty queen and comedy actor, Maria Teresa Carlson, in the title role.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Serpent Girl, from the Indian tv show, एक अनोखी रक्षक नागकन्या (Unique Protector: Serpent Girl.) The show is about a mild mannered reporter who has a snake based superhero identity similar to Wonder Woman. The villains are mostly supernatural: spirits, witches, etc.

R5
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

Good morning i love superhero and superheroine
I especially like the world of Japanese giant superheroines

Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

I love superheroines
in general but in particular japanese superheroines
82811230_p15_master1200.jpg
82811230_p15_master1200.jpg (355.64 KiB) Viewed 13871 times
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

download.png
download.png (15.02 KiB) Viewed 13805 times
I fell in love with her
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
3 years ago

Serpent Girl, from the Indian tv show, एक अनोखी रक्षक नागकन्या (Unique Protector: Serpent Girl.) The show is about a mild mannered reporter who has a snake based superhero identity similar to Wonder Woman. The villains are mostly supernatural: spirits, witches, etc.

R5
Any links to where Serpent Girl can be watched?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Any links to where Serpent Girl can be watched?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkwPaUdDdmU

The whole series has been uploaded to Dangal TV, but it got cancelled after approximately 20 episodes (the last few episodes I think were repackaged and dumped onto the web, just to finish off a running storyline, so they have unusual running times.) All the tv episodes have English subtitles available, if you enable them.

As with all these series, the first few episodes deal with her origin, so no costume. She starts wearing a mask about 10 episodes in, for no apparent reason.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

vlcsnap-2020-11-27-17h09m41s245.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-11-27-17h09m41s245.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 13781 times
Here's the details:

Episode #1: Origin story beings.
Episode #6: Origin ends, first seen in costume.
Episode #11: Starts wearing a mask.
Episode #19: Final tv episode.
Episode #25; Final episode (web.)

R5
Bert

Had a boo at a few of these. The action sequences are so shockingly boring it's almost like that's what they were trying for.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Had a boo at a few of these. The action sequences are so shockingly boring it's almost like that's what they were trying for.
Yes they likely were. It's a family show, broadcast when small kids will still be viewing, so don't expect explosions, fist fights and blood. Plus there's a greater tradition of heroes fighting using supernatural powers in that part of the world, even to the point of combatants being transported into a mythical realm when it's time to square off, rather than fighting in the streets. If you want kicks and punches and buildings being crushed by giant robots, try Japan. :D

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
3 years ago

Here's the details:

R5
Thanks for the handy-dandy guide, five_red! Since they're on Youtube, I'll try to watch as many as I can this weekend.

I assume "Naagkanya" means Serpent Girl since "naag" or "naga" is the snake-god in Hindu myth - it's a pretty common trope there
(e.g. 'Snake Woman' comic on Graphic India) and in many films.
Bert

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
Yes they likely were. It's a family show, broadcast when small kids will still be viewing, so don't expect explosions, fist fights and blood. Plus there's a greater tradition of heroes fighting using supernatural powers in that part of the world, even to the point of combatants being transported into a mythical realm when it's time to square off, rather than fighting in the streets. If you want kicks and punches and buildings being crushed by giant robots, try Japan. :D

R5
Well that's sweet. Now if only they could just get those sheltered, rascally boys to stop raping actual women in horrifying numbers.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well...in Episode 1 there was a significant "male gaze" scene directed at the main character's female rival..but it's really nothing you wouldn't have seen in a 90s Baywatch episode. And there is actually some "blood" (CGI version) - several people get killed and die
in close-ups, not exactly something you would usually see in a "small kids" program in the West.

Anyway..I watched the first five episodes of this. The origin developed rather slowly, as five_red indicated, but he was a little off on the story tracking: the power form and costume are introduced in Episode 5 (which was where I stopped, gotta get some sleep).

Episode 5 is the clincher here. It's really a pretty good superheroine episode. The heroine's male companion gets trapped so he can't help her. The heroine herself is held in writhing peril by the villain for quite a long time. And then there's part I like the most: the transformation from helpless damsel to powerful costumed superheroine..completed with boots, tights, and a Wonder Woman-style tiara, plus a good amount of glowing special effect and light beams, etc. If a little protracted, I thought the climactic scene where she finally becomes Naagkanya was quite effective..she concludes the scene by proclaiming her heroic mission.

Just as effective, as well, is the beauty that Heena Parmar (the lead actress) exudes, starting with the scenes where she takes off her glasses (because her vision has become perfect due to her powers). By the time she becomes Naagkanya in Episode 5, she is a radiant goddess. The only drawback is that they could have used a bit more makeup and lipstick to further emphasize the transformative qualities of the scene. But overall, I thought it was good. This gives me inspiration and some further ideas about how to develop both my Indian and serpent-based characters (Arogya, Kaliyuga & Serpenta). Thanks so much for the great tip, five_red!

If you don't have time to catch it all, just watch Episode 5 (on the Dangal TV channel on Youtube). I'll pick up with EP6 tomorrow.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
3 years ago

Here's the details:

My key sentence ;)
Are there any secret identity issues in this show?
Does she get unmasked by someone?
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Maskripper wrote:
3 years ago
five_red wrote:
3 years ago

Here's the details:

My key sentence ;)
Are there any secret identity issues in this show?
Does she get unmasked by someone?
You see her put the mask on in episode 11. One of her enemies covertly sees her transform into her everyday identity, and then back into costume, in one episode. I don't think there are any actual unmaskings however. Although admittedly I only really skipped through the later episodes.

EDIT: oh yes, and in one of the abbreviated web episodes, she changes at home, and her mother nearly walks in on her while she's still in costume. They also do the Steve Trevor / Lois Lane trope of the love interest being besotted by the heroine, not realising she's really his mild mannered co-worker. It's deliberately pretty tame stuff, very much playing homage to classic comics.

R5
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
3 years ago

Here's the details:

R5

I have already known this superheroine for quite some time
Too bad that the TV series has not continued
shevek
Producer
Producer

I watched Episodes 6-10 of Serpent Girl.

This story arc starts with Naagkanya learning how to transform and testing her powers by saving various people.
Episode 6 is notable for having several transformations. She transforms by putting her right hand over her left breast where
her heart is (because inside her heart is the powerful gem stone from her parents).

The rest of Episodes 7-10 is a saga about fighting her first supervillain - an unnamed Evil Shadow whose motivation is to collect
"five kinds of fear" so that he can attain the true power of darkness and rule the world. So, kind of like a mini-Thanos. But
he doesn't have much of a costume - he's dressed entirely in black and wears a black hat. The only part of him that isn't black
are his glowing eyes which make him look like a very tall Jawa. He can turn into intangible shadows at will.

Two aspects are notable about this story arc:

1) The appearance of the heroine is established: They improve the overall makeup on Heena Parmar when she is in costume as Serpent Girl. And by improve, I mean that she is so gorgeous that she gives Gal Gadot a run for her money in the facial countenance department. Great shades of lipstick, great eye shadow, and very nice snakeskin dappling on the side of her head.

She's already quite beautiful as bumbling rookie reporter Sona, having resolved to always wear glasses to keep herself and the Serpent
Girl from being connected.
Naagkanya EP9 Sona secret identity.jpg
Naagkanya EP9 Sona secret identity.jpg (80.39 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
But then her beauty really shines as Serpent Girl in the full makeup.
naagkanya EP10 front view face.jpg
naagkanya EP10 front view face.jpg (66.21 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
As far as the costume, most of it makes a fairly decent impression. It's not up there with the DC and Marvel movies and TV shows, but it can definitely hold its own against the Xenaverse and the Darna series. She's got a tiara with a diadem on it much like Wonder Woman, Darna and Big Barda. Naagkanya wears a leather snakeskin breastplate which is very textured (so it's not incredibly tight, but it shows her shape) and exposes her navel area for a bit of skin. Her tight leather pants are a plus as well, as are her high boots (which unfortunately don't have much of a heel). The only part of the costume that could be seriously left behind are the skirt-like fabrics which drape over her legs and butt, preventing a great view of her lower body. But then again, this is in line with the costume design of many Asian superheroines including Darna.

2) Peril situations abound in her fight against her first supervillain:

EP9 - In her first battle against the Evil Shadow, she gets knocked out. We see a full knockout shot around 19:01 before her new
bumbling sidekick Raju (he's one of the comic relief elements of the show) finds her splayed out on the ground.
Naagkanya EP9 1901 knocked out.jpg
Naagkanya EP9 1901 knocked out.jpg (239.63 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
EP10 - In the climactic episode against the villain, there's lots of good stuff.
Throat lift stills at 12:24, 12:28 and 12:32
naagkanya ep10 throat lift close up.jpg
naagkanya ep10 throat lift close up.jpg (64.6 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
Knocked out at 12:43 and 12:46
naagkanya ep10 knockout.jpg
naagkanya ep10 knockout.jpg (61.87 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
Held in captivity along with her mother at 13:02 onwards
Power being sucked out of her body at 14:47 or thereabouts
naagkanya ep10 serpent girl and mom energy drain.jpg
naagkanya ep10 serpent girl and mom energy drain.jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 13511 times
After being punched across the screen, she is looking weak and spread out on a rock at 16:59.

For what it is - being a low-budget TV show for India - there is much to recommend for lovers of superheroines in Serpent Girl.

Apparently next up is a story arc where she fights a feline villain who is clad in tight leopard-spots spandex!
(Hmmm...this is quite similar to our Heroineburgh Episode 9 featuring Savanna vs Serpenta from two years ago...except the hero and villain roles are reversed and the cat is the good girl while our snake is the villainess!)

Looking forward to that.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
1) The appearance of the heroine is established: They improve the overall makeup on Heena Parmar when she is in costume as Serpent Girl. And by improve, I mean that she is so gorgeous that she gives Gal Gadot a run for her money in the facial countenance department. Great shades of lipstick, great eye shadow, and very nice snakeskin dappling on the side of her head.

She's already quite beautiful as bumbling rookie reporter Sona, having resolved to always wear glasses to keep herself and the Serpent
There's a long history of snake-related female characters in Indian culture, and on tv. (The term for shape-shifting snake women is apparently Icchadhari Naagins. And Icchadhari Naags for males, btw.) Indeed this isn't even the first time Heena Parmar has played a icchadhari naagin; she was the goddess Mohini and her human counterpart in season two of Main Bhi Ardhangini.

As far as I can tell, Serpent Girl was a follow-on to a highly successful snake-woman tv show which aired in the same time slot, which itself was a sequel to a highly successful snake-woman tv show. I assume the producers figured they needed something interesting for the third iteration, and thought a superheroine twist on snakes might make an interesting formula.

Btw, while searching around for other snake shows, specifically anything else superheroine-like, I stumbled across a kind of fan page for Heena Parmar, documenting her style/makeup for many of her tv appearances. So, for those of you who are fans of hers: https://www.charmboard.com/en/editorial ... 6048309268
Apparently next up is a story arc where she fights a feline villain who is clad in tight leopard-spots spandex!
Looking forward to that.
If memory serves, I think they really didn't spare the budget when it came to the villain's costume on that story. :laugh: :laugh:

Interesting enough, it seems that the recent success with Marvel and DC movie/tv franchises has started to bleed over into countries like India. There's been a trickle of superhero themed tv shows and movies in the region over the last couple of years (for example Maharakshak Devi, based on the heroine Devi -- see pic), and the publicity around these movies/shows suggests that the big American franchises has piqued interest in the superhero genre. Already there's plans to bring more local superheroes to the big screen. Unlike in Western cultures, where the male heroes usually bring in the biggest box office, in India, Indonesia, Thailand, etc., the existing fantasy genres feature prominent women about as equally as men (if not more so), so if superheroes have suddenly become vogue, expect a healthy dose of shows and movies based around female super characters. So even though Serpent Girl failed to rack up many episodes, it probably won't be the last superheroine we see on Indian tv. Worth keeping our eyes open.
vlcsnap-2020-11-30-12h54m29s372.jpg
vlcsnap-2020-11-30-12h54m29s372.jpg (152.3 KiB) Viewed 13500 times
R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
There's a long history of snake-related female characters in Indian culture, and on tv. (The term for shape-shifting snake women is apparently Icchadhari Naagins. And Icchadhari Naags for males, btw.)

Interesting enough, it seems that the recent success with Marvel and DC movie/tv franchises has started to bleed over into countries like India. There's been a trickle of superhero themed tv shows and movies in the region over the last couple of years (for example Maharakshak Devi, based on the heroine Devi -- see pic)... So even though Serpent Girl failed to rack up many episodes, it probably won't be the last superheroine we see on Indian tv. Worth keeping our eyes open.
Yes, thank you, Red_Five, I am actually quite aware of the massive "overuse" of the snake-shifter "naag" trope in Hindu fantasy and horror entertainment (although others on this forums might not be, so it's good to mention!).

As far as Maharakshak ("maharakshak" might actually be a direct Indian translation of the word "superhero" since it means "great protector") Devi, yes I've seen some stuff about that youth-targeted TV show. It's an adaptation of the goddess Devi, but it's not related at all to the excellent Indian comic book superheroine "Devi" which came out ten years ago on Virgin Comics. (I've tracked down all four of the GNs, they are highly recommended). Using the term "Devi" (or any well-known deity from the Hindu pantheon) is pretty equivalent to not being able to get a copyright on a mythological character name like "Thor" or "Hercules" or "Isis" in the West.

So...Episodes 11-15 of Naagkanya Ek Anokhi Rakshak is the story arc about Serpent Girl fighting the Cat Woman ('Bellistri' in Hindi).
The cat lady's goal is to try and 'scratch' six other 19-year-old girls in her village so that when the proper astrological alignment comes
into place, she will get amazing cat powers and be able to (as The Brain is wont to say) 'take over the world', etc.

All five episodes 11-15 are worth watching because you get a fair amount of the villainess in her cat costume which (as Red_Five says)
although being low-budget is still a classic leopard-spot catsuit totally appropriate for a Batman-style campy series. As the girls get captured one by one, they also get dressed in cat costumes (and we do get to see a few shots of them chained up in peril) so there must have been a sale on them at some Indian costume warehouse. The only drawback to the Cat Woman character is that unfortunately they cast her as a middle-aged "mom" actress type, so she doesn't quite exude the level of sexiness that, say, Julie Newmar did. But they're probably just going for feasibility in this series, not super hotness anyway.

Here are some stills from Episode 15 to give you an idea of the campiness level we're dealing with here.
The still aren't necessarily in chronological order as they appear in the episode.
Dig in if it intrigues you!

Naagkanya battling the cat woman. Similiar to Wonder Woman (but unlike Batman) there's no punching in the fight, and very little kicking. Mostly, they struggle against each other, pushing each other into the prerequisite 'boxes' in the background, and throw a couple objects at each other.
naagkanya ep 15 battling the cat woman.jpg
naagkanya ep 15 battling the cat woman.jpg (73.73 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
Here's an almost full-body shot of the Bellistri / Cat Woman costume. It's actually kind of similar to the one we use with feline fury Savanna in Heroineburgh except ours has a cleavage strip in the middle. In fact, now that I think about it, we also have a "Cat vs Snake" battle similar to this one in our Episode 9, except the heroine and villainess roles are reversed!
naagkanya ep 15 bellistri cat woman costume.jpg
naagkanya ep 15 bellistri cat woman costume.jpg (109.59 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
Here's a wide shot of a lot of the cast from that episode. Way too many characters!
naagkanya ep15 better wide shot of a lot of the ep15 cast.jpg
naagkanya ep15 better wide shot of a lot of the ep15 cast.jpg (138.6 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
For some reason, there's a camera which keeps taking bird's eye views of the action from the ceiling, and a lot of the shots are taken
through the visuals of some kind of net. I have no idea why they didn't think of dropping the net on Naagkanya to provide some more
peril in the episode (especially in an earlier episode, Bellistri uses a net to capture the cameraman Krish).
naagkanya ep15 birds eye view of the action and captives.jpg
naagkanya ep15 birds eye view of the action and captives.jpg (84.64 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
As the Cat Woman is being defeated, her cat girl slaves fall unconscious one by one. Here's a example of one of them knocked out.
There are several angles of them out cold like this. They are cuter than the main villainess and I wish we could have seen more of them individually as "henchwomen" (the way Catwoman has henchmen in the Adam West Batman).
naagkanya ep15 another cat girl is knocked out.jpg
naagkanya ep15 another cat girl is knocked out.jpg (132.68 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
After the main battle is done there are some shots of Heena Parmar which show her beautiful body and how she fits snugly in the costume. She was definitely a good choice to play this superheroine part!
naagkanya ep15 nice frontal shot of heena parmar.jpg
naagkanya ep15 nice frontal shot of heena parmar.jpg (96.77 KiB) Viewed 13427 times
I'm going on to watch Episodes 16 through 25 of this series so wish me luck!
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
As far as Maharakshak ("maharakshak" might actually be a direct Indian translation of the word "superhero" since it means "great protector") Devi, yes I've seen some stuff about that youth-targeted TV show. It's an adaptation of the goddess Devi, but it's not related at all to the excellent Indian comic book superheroine "Devi" which came out ten years ago on Virgin Comics. (I've tracked down all four of the GNs, they are highly recommended). Using the term "Devi" (or any well-known deity from the Hindu pantheon) is pretty equivalent to not being able to get a copyright on a mythological character name like "Thor" or "Hercules" or "Isis" in the West.
Shakti.jpg
Shakti.jpg (56.59 KiB) Viewed 13374 times
I think there maybe should be an alternative thread where we exchange information, views, and intelligence about non-English comicbook heroines. :laugh: It is often very difficult to get hold of copies of this stuff, particularly the older comics that date back to the 1950s and 60s. Sometimes, however, you strike gold; a while back I actually managed to get hold of a lot of scanned examples of Shakti comics, the Indian superheroine (see pic.)
I think #20 on is devoid of English subtitles, so good luck with that. (If you managed to find subs, let me know where!)

R5
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

giant japanese heroines is so cool and sexy
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoeTMt ... FDA/videos
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
I think there maybe should be an alternative thread where we exchange information, views, and intelligence about non-English comicbook heroines. :laugh: It is often very difficult to get hold of copies of this stuff, particularly the older comics that date back to the 1950s and 60s. Sometimes, however, you strike gold; a while back I actually managed to get hold of a lot of scanned examples of Shakti comics, the Indian superheroine (see pic.)
I think #20 on is devoid of English subtitles, so good luck with that. (If you managed to find subs, let me know where!)
R5
You're probably right that if we want to continue talking about non-English comic book heroines we should take it to the Comics subforum. I don't know what there is available from India in the 1950s/60s (I'm much more familiar with The Philippines) but yes,
I do also know about the Shakti Comics - she is a beautiful heroine indeed! - but haven't been able to find a way to read them.
If you want to read the Devi comics from Virgin, that's easy, they are right here: https://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Devi
I was able to find all four Devi volumes in physical graphic novel format for $5 each at one of the same local comic shops that sells our title, in the used graphic novel boxes.

Back to Naagkanya: Hey everyone - I would NOT recommend watching Episodes 16 through 25 of this series.
Not only are there no more subtitles..but the two remaining story arc have absolutely terrible villains.

Plus there's an increasing reliance on a really superfluous and annoying effect that they use repeatedly: a three-stage "frame shake"
close-up effect, accompanied by a rattling sound effect. I don't know what it's called, or if it's standard practice on Indian TV, but
I've never seen it used anywhere else, so maybe if someone has more information, they can explain what it is.

The other thing that started to grate on me was the catchphrase that Sona's adopted dad says after almost every one of his lines:
"Masheen Chalangeh" (which I think translates to "I swear by the machine"). It's supposed to represent the dad's reliance on rational science as opposed to his wife's pursuit of superstitious practices..at least I think so. But he says it so often, it loses its charm.

Episodes 16-20 feature a Bald Witch ("Ganja Chudail" in Hindi). She's really ugly to look at, and has a rather stupid mission - to steal
the beautiful hair of a bunch of people to increase her powers so she can...wait for it...take over the world. She makes guys bald (which is kind of funny) but she makes women have short spiky hairstyles. It's too bad they didn't want to actually shave women's heads (maybe there's some kind of taboo against that in India?) so that we could have seen a few Persis Khambatta-type lovelies. Oh well.

Then Episodes 21-25 feature a villain who looks like a Sikh Hippie Guru who plays the guitar. His job is to use a soul-sucking magical mask to steal the souls of enough young men to revitalize the evil Serpent Lord Dakshesh (Sona's original foe from the origin episodes) so that he can defeat Naagkanya and...you guessed it!...take over the world. You could tell they just gave up and kind of petered out when the final episode involves Naagkanya fighting the villain who is now in a clown suit. The 25th episode ends with a final confrontation between Dakshesh and Naagkanya where they are posing in their costumes and starting each other down and..it ends unresolved. Ugh.

Just watch Episodes 1 through 15 to be entertained. The rest is mostly a waste of time.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Darna, a Filipino Wonder Woman had a pretty cool costume, that she filled out very well. I am a little ambivalent about the helmet, but she had some great assets and was put in one solidly Batgirl worthy trap, and interrogated by a female villain.
Last edited by sneakly 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Darna, you mean? They're getting a new actress to portray her in a TV series next year. I hope they don't drop the ball on the costume, though, as I've been hearing that they want to change the costume into "something more practical", which usually doesn't bode well.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Darna, you mean? They're getting a new actress to portray her in a TV series next year. I hope they don't drop the ball on the costume, though, as I've been hearing that they want to change the costume into "something more practical", which usually doesn't bode well.
Jane De Leon, and it is a big budget movie not a TV show.

There's been three Darna TV shows, one in 1978 with Lorna Tolentino which is super super rare, one in 2009 with Marian Rivera (in the previously posted video) which is easy to find, and (many people's favourite) one in 2005 with Angel Locsin which is difficult to find in good quality.

R5
GWalb
Henchman
Henchman

Just do a search for Darna on youtube; lots of stuff.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Jane De Leon, and it is a big budget movie not a TV show.

There's been three Darna TV shows, one in 1978 with Lorna Tolentino which is super super rare, one in 2009 with Marian Rivera (in the previously posted video) which is easy to find, and (many people's favourite) one in 2005 with Angel Locsin which is difficult to find in good quality.

R5

Producers decided to go with a TV series first.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Hmm, it's ABS-CBN though. I don't want to be pesamistic, but what are the odds that the show doesn't make it to screen given their current franchise situation. Last I heard the government was still preventing them from broadcasting their main network channel and they were trying to stay afloat by pushing some of their shows out over smaller satellite and cable distributors. Although I noticed that the deal was with one of ABS-CBN's talent development companies, Magic Star. Their main rival, GMA, are now (since the recent situation) apparently interested in recruiting from that pool. So perhaps the show will be developed by an ABS-CBN company, but broadcast on their rival's tv network if the current problems don't get sorted(?)

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
3 years ago
brdiy wrote:
3 years ago
Hmm, it's ABS-CBN though. I don't want to be pesamistic, but what are the odds that the show doesn't make it to screen given their current franchise situation. Last I heard the government was still preventing them from broadcasting their main network channel and they were trying to stay afloat by pushing some of their shows out over smaller satellite and cable distributors. Although I noticed that the deal was with one of ABS-CBN's talent development companies, Magic Star. Their main rival, GMA, are now (since the recent situation) apparently interested in recruiting from that pool. So perhaps the show will be developed by an ABS-CBN company, but broadcast on their rival's tv network if the current problems don't get sorted(?)

R5
I know they've temporarily entered into a block time agreement with a smaller network, and I hear their top draw teledramas are still doing very well despite the odds. They've also launched/repackaged their streaming service TFC.tv so those are potential avenues as well.

Crossing my fingers...

Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

very good fan made film
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I know this show has been mentioned here before a long time ago, but there's a youtube playlist dedicated to a Spiderwoman TV series from Indonesia called "Supergirl". There are 31 videos as of this writing.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... saEETcZI1X
Image Image
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Nykron wrote:
3 years ago
I know this show has been mentioned here before a long time ago, but there's a youtube playlist dedicated to a Spiderwoman TV series from Indonesia called "Supergirl". There are 31 videos as of this writing.
Many thanks for this. Seems like the trend in dumping old series onto YT continues. I've been after decent quality copies of these episodes for a while (even though the series itself looks a bit cut-price.) Now all we need is for GMA to upload Darna 2005, starring Angel Locsin.

R5
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

here is the second episode fan made Darna
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Nykron wrote:
3 years ago
Nice, I had couple episodes in bad quality so this is an improvement. Gotta love that sweet lady in a Spider Woman costume !
Paolone0971
Henchman
Henchman

ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Nykron wrote:
3 years ago
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... saEETcZI1X
Image Image
Nice find
ricky1989
Henchman
Henchman

Any new show in 2021?
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ricky1989 wrote:
3 years ago
Any new show in 2021?
Not yet, that I know of. A new Darna show is in the works for later this year or next, as you can see above.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Jeepney TV on YouTube has just uploaded the series Kaptain Boom, which is the first installment of the Komiks Presents: Mars Ravelo series. The next installment is Varga (13 episodes), and the fourth installment is Dragonna (8 episodes), both costumed superheroines. Perhaps worth keeping an eye on their channel to see if they post these installments in weeks to come.

R5
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Ah I already have all Varga (a Darna clone by the same author lol) and Dragonna episodes, not bad at all. Hopefully they will publish all Komiks episodes too, I am missing some ! And the quality will surely be better than those i have.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Super Ging was mentioned earlier in this thread. I just found a full episode from that on the GMA Playground channel which was linked to, earlier in this thread. Super Ging final battle vs Chikbalang (which I assume means Porcupine Woman from the villainess' costume).
Including a nice magical-girl transformation! Super Ging's costume is a nice full-body spandex suit. She saves her boyfriend.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I think all five (or seven, was it?) episodes are available if you search that channel.

R5