Kara Zor-El Superwoman

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Hi folks! Long time Supergirl fanatic, Danorian, here!
I just read the Future State comic Kara Zor-El Superwoman issue 1. I was hopeful that this would be a nice mature Supergirl story, unlike the last storyline for the Supergirl comic. Who came up with the punk Supergirl as part of the Batman That Laughs storyline? Yes, I can understand the storyline sold, but to have Kara corrupted like this? Oh, and she wasn't cured in her own comic. You had to go to an entirely different series for that after teasing it in an issue. Thank DC Comics for nothing. Too much crossover crap for this old fart! Why have a character's series if a major(?)storyline ends in another comic? Well, you didn't get my money for that!
Well , as expected her series ended with a whimper. I wonder how many fans were driven away by the punk SG storyline? Again, I had hopes, not high, but hopes with this new comic. Now for spoiler time!
Spoiler
We come into this comic with Kara on the Moon, seeming to run a colony for misfit aliens, lamenting the passing of Krypto. We get another new alien girl show up with some Parasite like abilities(sucks Kara's powers for a bit), and after getting things sorted out, Kara takes her under her wing to teach her how to use her powers. We see the locals, and they don't seem very approving of Kara. Upon further reading, we find out Kara left Earth because she could never get rid of her anger issues?!
Really DC? You write her like crap in her latest incarnation, and wonder why she has issues? Superman almost treats her like a pariah, her adoptive parents treat her like an intelligence assets, and her adoptive Mother is revealed to be a part of Leviathan! Yup, I'd be pissed off too!
I just hate that DC made this version of Supergirl into a loser IMHO!
As you can guess, I'm not a happy camper. Sigh, I stopped buying Supergirl comics during her Earth Angel crap, so I guess I can stop again!

My 2 cents.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Thanks for the heads up, Danorian. That spoiler of the comic sounds like a messed up SG overburdened with issues it's hard to like in a superheroine. That said, I have to say that I enjoyed the Peter David run of 80 SG comics as the Earth Angel. I own them all.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Damselbinder

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Thanks for the heads up, Danorian. That spoiler of the comic sounds like a messed up SG overburdened with issues it's hard to like in a superheroine. That said, I have to say that I enjoyed the Peter David run of 80 SG comics as the Earth Angel. I own them all.
Uh, yeah, giving superheroines loads of issues, uhh, who would do that, uhh, I say is that the time hahaha I'd better go
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Uh, yeah, giving superheroines loads of issues, uhh, who would do that, uhh, I say is that the time hahaha I'd better go
Oh, well, I mean, your heroines are burdened with realistic and interesting issues, of course. A reason to read, not to avoid. We good?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Damselbinder

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Oh, well, I mean, your heroines are burdened with realistic and interesting issues, of course. A reason to read, not to avoid. We good?
Dr D, I was 100% joking. Of course we're good!
McGheeny
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

The problem has always been DC is so keen to keep Supergirl a goodie two shoes. They also did everything they could to make her cool, incorporating the newest fads. You never saw them doing this to Superman or Batman. They fought bad guys and took their lumps. It took a long time for DC to even let their heroines get into physical confrontations with human male villains. This is a large part of the reason they made Supergirl so weak she couldn't carry her own comic and needed the collaborations. No wonder they relegated Supergirl to fighting bad fashion, j-walkers and social issues.

For awhile there in the 70's and in the 80's there seemed to be promise for her developing into a superheroine character. But thank God DC censors jumped in to save the day, deluding the comic heroine's sex appeal and peril, relegating Kara Zor-El to the "Hall Monitor" of the Justice League.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I'm sorry, guys, but I couldn't even get past Marguerite Sauvage's terrible costume with the "prom dress" that goes down to her ankles even though she is *already wearing tight pants underneath them*. It looks like somebody's fashion drawing from art-school class. Which is weird, because even if Sauvage's Bombshells series was basically a bunch of third-wave nursery-rhyme nonsense, at least a lot of the costumes she drew in that series were beautiful, including her alternate "Kara from Russia". Plus she reasonably doesn't block a whole bunch of comic fans on Twitter like some of her more intolerant peers.

If you're looking for "good art + superheroines" in the Future State series, probably your best bet is the Yara Flor Wonder Woman series with the beautiful artwork by Joelle Jones (someone could make a separate thread on that, if they want to). The story is kind of meh so far, but the writer does make a lot of cool references to Brazilian folklore which comic fans from that continent are picking up on rather quickly and appreciating. Plus Yara Flor really is gorgeous in that hot Latina way - can't wait to see some South American cosplays on that.