Cartoon character cancelled

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
sneakly wrote:
3 years ago

This is just the bourgeoisie ridiculing and character assassinating the lower classes. Disagreement is part of that whole diversity thing. Diversity is not a box of multicolored crayons that all draw the same picture.
When you say “bourgeois ridiculing and character assassinating the lower classes”, I assume you are talking about Tucker Swanson McNear Carlson, who grew up so rich he had four names and thought bow ties were cool.
And John Oliver has 3 first names.... your point? You posted a piece that tears people down, not me. Maybe you need to question your desire to deface and ridicule a group of people. Why the anger? I didn't post this video.
xD calling Tucker Carlson the 'lower class' is a bit dramatic don't you think?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago
Bert wrote:
3 years ago
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2 ... shootings/

But it didn't happen in Pittsburgh so it doesn't count. I'm still not clear on why, but it has something to do with intersectionality.
I'm not going to speak for Mr. X, but I must concede to Bert that I was very wrong. I apologize for pushing my point.

This is horrific. This person (who was caught) should receive the death penalty.

There's going to be a nationwide clampdown on anything that seems remotely right-wing.

Or critical of China, which will not only get a free pass for quite a while, but will also use this tragedy to demonstrate
to the world, and to its own citizens, how backwards and racist the United States is.

The hard left will use this opportunity to shift all Asians firmly into an oppressed class, and Asian-Americans in general will move further politically to the left.

And Bert, actually this sounds quite a bit like Pittsburgh. Remember Richard Baumhammers? (back in the year 2000)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Baumhammers

Again, I'm sorry, Bert. This is extremely sad that there are Americans who can do something like this. Pure evil.

I'm really shaken. I'm done with politics or posting in political threads. I won't take the bait, or bait others, for that matter.
Why do you think there will be a clamp down. There was after the mass shooting of 26 first graders and teachers, or after 17 high school students. The right will characterize this as another isolated crazy person, insist that we need to enforce existing laws and more details come out they will say it has nothing to do with Trump, even after it becomes obvious that it does. Kind of surprised he wasn’t wearing aMAGA hat...
Plus Fox News will display faux outrage at the "mainstream media" referring to "domestic terrorism" on account that only brown people and non-Christians can be radicalized into committing terror attacks.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I will never question my desire to deface and ridicule white supremacists.
Or my appreciation of passing barbs for comedic effect, like Fox News viewers are old, or 70s TV dinner consumers were sad single men.
The Oliver segment stays focused on the subject, Tucker Carlson. Beyond the above two jokes, try to find where it's ridiculing and character assassinating the lower classes.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago
Everything Spazzel Dunn Beafool posts is untruth. Trump showed him his ahole and Spazzel stuck his head in and has lived there ever since.

He's also not a jew.

He does not have a job with pension so he thinks no one else should have one.

He's a white supremacist and racist thru and thru. He has loathsome and seething hatred for anyone with non white skin. Proof is in his posts.

He kisses the Hitler poster on his wall everyday.

His brain is made of :shit: , no brain activity, no neurons firing.

He marched with the Charlotte white supremacists, he marched on the capital on Jan 6, he gets his talking points from Tucker Carlsuck, Donald Lump, and Rudy Fooliani.

"You keep sayig it does not make it true" is what Spazzel says to himself when looking in the mirror during a micro-second of clarity. But it doesn't register. Brain b dead.

I'd have put this in the stories forum, but 98% of this is true!
Scribbler! Another post like this personal attack will be deleted and will draw an automatic ban from this site for no less than two weeks.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
Scribbler! Another post like this personal attack will be deleted and will draw an automatic ban from this site for no less than two weeks.
But a ban would be CANCELLING HIS FREEZE PEACH! This is an outrageous silencing of someone who simply doesn't doesn't agree with your view on personal attacks.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
3 years ago
But a ban would be CANCELLING HIS FREEZE PEACH! This is an outrageous silencing of someone who simply doesn't doesn't agree with your view on personal attacks.
Not sure if you're being ironic or not. Sorry. Personal attacks not cool with moderators here. Also not a big fan of poop emoji so there's that!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

It's not the poop emoji, it's the Patrick Stewart emoji, for when the line must be drawn HERE! This far, no further!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

OK I deleted a post that again laid into a specific member.

Theres a difference between criticising the arguments put forward by a member and criticising the member themselves for daring to have those arguments and also insulting the member for having those arguments.

Keep all comments civil please. No F word expletives, no C word expletives and no A-Z word expletives come to that, directed against individual members.

So for example if I had posted

"Mitch McConnell completely exonerated the President'

You could respond -

"Tallyho that's a lie he said he was completely responsible"

And that's fine. The reader can draw their own conclusions as to whether its MY LIE or I am REPEATING a lie.

"Tallyho you are a fucking liar"
is NOT fine.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Bert

This thread is a nifty little microcosm of what is currently afflicting America. It's not unique to America, and this board is international, but the main issues at play are most starkly evident in the U.S.

As the world struggles through a once in a century pandemic, underlying national and regional characteristics are inevitably highlighted. This is undoubtedly true in the U.S., where the concept of individual liberty is so highly prized. Sadly, worshiping at the alter of individual liberty can and has morphed into not giving a shit about the rights of others. Reduced to its essence, refusing to wear a mask is asserting that my right to personal liberty is more important than your right not to be infected by a deadly pathogen. It's selfish and antisocial and it tears at the underpinnings of community. Right now, Americans are dying of covid-19 at 2.5 times the rate of Canadians. Sobering, no?

In America an entire ecosphere, massive and extremely profitable, has been carved out to support that "me first" mindset. It began in earnest in the 1980s when Ronald Reagan abolished the media fairness doctrine. That paved the way for far right talk radio, which became popular. Then, with the advent of cable television, people could opt to pay for news stations. Whammo! Enter Fox News, a "media" enterprise that was created with the express intent of offering a powerfully biased, hard right viewpoint. Slowly but surely, America became split. People who siloed in the hard right mediasphere were fed distorted views on topics large and small. Critically, these hard right purveyors used distractions - manufactured controversies to distract viewers when real events that ran counter to their preferred biases were unfolding.

Let's face facts - it all worked extremely well. Fox is fantastically successful, and America is so completely riven that the two sides cannot even agree on basic facts. In practical terms, that leads to serious consequences. Consequences like electing a self-obsessed ignoramus president, ignoring simple, effective measures to combat a pandemic, and getting enraged about made up controversies like cancel culture, the war on Christmas and stolen elections.

Over half a million Americans have DIED of covid-19. Over 1,000 per day are still dying. But those terrible facts are inconvenient to the hard right ecosphere, so time for outrage distraction. Pepe le Pew got cancelled! And look what happened on this thread. Starting with Trump, the right scapegoated the Chinese for coronavirus. Again, it's a distraction to shift blame from that pesky deathrate that's 2.5 times higher than neighboring Canada. And when 'real' Americans buy into that scapegoating and start taking out their rage on Chinese Americans, oh, it's just advocacy groups vying for attention. The fact that many Chinese Americans are scared to venture out for fear of shunning, being spit on, insulted, attacked, even killed - meh, I haven't seen it in my neighborhood so it's fake news.

What's the solution? Education. Media awareness. And specifically here, on this forum? Fuck me people, just ignore the trolls. I'm as guilty as anyone of being sucked in, but engaging with provocateurs just gives them what they want and gives their heinous crap way more attention and credence than it deserves.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
3 years ago
There's going to be a nationwide clampdown on anything that seems remotely right-wing.
It depends on what you mean by right wing? If it turns out that the terrorist had expressed his intention to commit acts of terrorism on social media, then I agree there will be a huge clampdown on how such sites monitor genuinely dangerous content. There is already an abundance of evidence that subsequently arrested January 6 rioters used social media platforms to plan violence.

If, however, you're doing the standard talking point of saying "conservative voices are being silenced", then that just has no basis in reality.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
shevek wrote:
3 years ago
It depends on what you mean by right wing? If it turns out that the terrorist had expressed his intention to commit acts of terrorism on social media, then I agree there will be a huge clampdown on how such sites monitor genuinely dangerous content. There is already an abundance of evidence that subsequently arrested January 6 rioters used social media platforms to plan violence.

If, however, you're doing the standard talking point of saying "conservative voices are being silenced", then that just has no basis in reality.

I think you need to take a look at who FaceBook and Twitter have banned

(Note I am on neither)
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

(Note I am on neither)
I think you need to take a look at the reason why each person was banned individually. Can you cite specific instances of conservatives getting banned from FaceBook and Twiiter merely for advocating mainstream conservative policies? I've seen a few fringey conservatives getting banned for posting batshit conspiracy theories, calls to violence and defamation.

Speaking of banned conservatives who post batshit conspiracy theories, calls to violence and defamation, has Alex Jones used the words "false flag" and "crisis actors" about Aaron Long's massacre yet?
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

(Note I am on neither)
I think you need to take a look at the reason why each person was banned individually. Can you cite specific instances of conservatives getting banned from FaceBook and Twiiter merely for advocating mainstream conservative policies? I've seen a few fringey conservatives getting banned for posting batshit conspiracy theories, calls to violence and defamation.

Speaking of banned conservatives who post batshit conspiracy theories, calls to violence and defamation, has Alex Jones used the words "false flag" and "crisis actors" about Aaron Long's massacre yet?
Mainstream is a loaded word that both sides use.

Lets start with Donald Trump, many Americans agree about the voter fraud, so that not out of bounds

Milo Yanapolis(sp) was banned for what his followers said about an actress, he just trashed the Female Ghostbusters

A woman in the U.K was banned for not using woke pronouns

Tulsi Gabbard had her twitter account blocked right after a debate to hurt fundraising

Antifa has not been banned
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

(Note I am on neither)

Lets start with Donald Trump, many Americans agree about the voter fraud, so that not out of bounds

Milo Yanapolis(sp) was banned for what his followers said about an actress, he just trashed the Female Ghostbusters
A
A woman in the U.K was banned for not using woke pronouns.

Tulsi Gabbard had her twitter account blocked right after a debate to hurt fundraising

Antifa has not been banned and until very recently the Ayatollah of Iran was not banned: He is a terrorist!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago

So Parlor being shut down by Amazon for some lame claims about ill defined "hate speech" criteria is not shutting down voices (or a competitor since Amazon and twitter were working a deal)?

It is woefully dishonest to label speech one does not like as "hate speech" then use that as an excuse to shut someone down. Hate speech is very vague and ill defined and should never be a criteria. And twitter routinely allows comments from BLM that are incite full or hateful.

Also just because someone can get a tweet or you tube video off that says they got shut down does not mean the video that was actually blocked or banned was not shut down. Is there anyway the left can communicate that is not being a condescending, bourgeoisie, snobbish pr*ck? And can they stop viewing everything through the lens of a 12 year old?

Just remember, when this "game" flips (and it will) and it starts happening to people on the left, don't complain. If the left wants to cut off the right from communication that's fine. I'm all for them stewing in their juices with no outlet. Not like anything bad will happen. And its not like they will watch left leaning sources.

I'm not going to waste time here arguing on this. I think if what happened to Parlor happened to Huff Po or Salon or even Twitter there would be some outrage.

I am more satisfied flipping these very rules on the people who smugly looking the other way when they benefit from them. Don't complain when it happens to you.

Also Bert - you blocked me so you're not exactly engaging in any form of communication.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago

C'mon. Waiting for one instance of some vaguely defined "hate speech" comment to use as an excuse to shut a whole channel down is extremely dishonest. You know that. You know perfectly well if youtube waited for one stupid comment on John Oliver's channel as an excuse to shut his whole channel down you'd cry foul. Please stop being condescending or insulting peoples' intelligence. And its especially aggravating when other channels continue to post comments that also fall into that hateful category.

But by all means do this. Please do this. I'm sure a disconnected right, stewing in their juices, getting messages from who knows where is far preferable than engaging in any conversation. And I'm sure shutting down their ability to discuss issues then snickering about "oh I don't see anything" won't confirm their crazy conspiracy theories... nah. What could go wrong. Go ahead and play the used car salesman "nothing to see here... move along" and when this happens to your side of the issue (cause it always does) well... nothing to see here. And this coming from the so called diversity and inclusion crowd.

And BTW this isn't healthy anyway:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ul-content
So this guy gets shut down, I don't think he's right wing. He's merely posting videos of violent events at antifa and na*i rallies. So this whole criteria is infeasible regardless of what team you're on. Analyzing violent protest is not hate, its examining the events of the times.
Last edited by Mr. X 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago

So Parlor being shut down by Amazon for some lame claims about ill defined "hate speech" criteria is not shutting down voices (or a competitor since Amazon and twitter were working a deal)?

It is woefully dishonest to label speech one does not like as "hate speech" then use that as an excuse to shut someone down. Hate speech is very vague and ill defined and should never be a criteria. And twitter routinely allows comments from BLM that are incite full or hateful.

Also just because someone can get a tweet or you tube video off that says they got shut down does not mean the video that was actually blocked or banned was not shut down. Is there anyway the left can communicate that is not being a condescending, bourgeoisie, snobbish pr*ck? And can they stop viewing everything through the lens of a 12 year old?

Just remember, when this "game" flips (and it will) and it starts happening to people on the left, don't complain. If the left wants to cut off the right from communication that's fine. I'm all for them stewing in their juices with no outlet. Not like anything bad will happen. And its not like they will watch left leaning sources.

I'm not going to waste time here arguing on this. I think if what happened to Parlor happened to Huff Po or Salon or even Twitter there would be some outrage.

I am more satisfied flipping these very rules on the people who smugly looking the other way when they benefit from them. Don't complain when it happens to you.

Also Bert - you blocked me so you're not exactly engaging in any form of communication.
Have you seen some of the shit that was on Parler? Criminality was so rampant on there that any host would be justified in pulling the plug.

As for hate speech, I really don't see how the definition is vague and confusing. You can merrily call a black guy a prick without it being hate speech. The moment you qualify prick with a racial epithet, it becomes hate speech because race is cited as an aggravating factor, rather than just focusing on the guy's individual prickishness. Easy!
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago

The number of people who hold a belief has no bearing on whether it is true. There were over 60 court cases and not one shred of credible evidence of fraud was presented in a courtroom.

After two months of wild claims outside court with zero evidence presented inside court and after the storming of the Capital by ill-informed scum, the time had come to stop indulging this crap.

You may also have noticed that even right wing news outlets are being very careful about what they allege now. Dominion and Smartmatic are extremely litigious and it looks very much as though Rudy, Sidney and the My Pillow Guy are going to get sued into bankruptcy.
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Yolo Minneapolis repeatedly referred to Leslie Jones as a man, along with calling her fat and ugly. As you may have observed earlier today, personal abuse is not tolerated on this forum either.
https://www.vox.com/2016/7/20/12226070/ ... -explained
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
A woman in the U.K was banned for not using woke pronouns
No idea about this until you post specifics. Was the woman deliberately referring to a trans woman as he/him after a request to use she/her?
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Google, not Twitter. It was claimed to be an error. The case was thrown out of court. Without further evidence, you're just spreading a conspiracy theory.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/04/tech ... wsuit.html
Dazzle1 wrote:
3 years ago
Antifa has not been banned
Banned for what? From where? Does Antifa even have any official presence on the web?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Can I just point out how the threat to ban Scribbler (dunno if it has actually happened or not?) because of their direct personal attacks is essentially the same thing as Canceling someone.

And like, it's perfectly fine. Cause this is a privately owned forum, and the moderators have the freedom to run it as they wish for it to be run.

It's the exact same for Disney and Gina, and any other corporate or private enterprise whom fire an employee for making a public ass of themselves in front of the whole world knowingly drawing that attention not just upon themselves, but upon the people they represent.

Freedom of Speech, NOT freedom of consequence. We all make our choices, and must live with the consequences. Best to just be more careful with your choices than to bitch about the consequences later no?
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
C'mon. Waiting for one instance of some vaguely defined "hate speech" comment to use as an excuse to shut a whole channel down is extremely dishonest. You know that. You know perfectly well if youtube waited for one stupid comment on John Oliver's channel as an excuse to shut his whole channel down you'd cry foul. Please stop being condescending or insulting peoples' intelligence. And its especially aggravating when other channels continue to post comments that also fall into that hateful category.
Agreed. I have no issue at all with youtube channels I disagree with being up on Youtube at all, outside of getting ticked off when I accidentally click on some video, or get sent a link to look at one and then youtube starts advertising right-wing nonsense all over my front page for two weeks... but that's an algorithm thing though and not really anybodies direct interference or intent. THATS Freedom of Speech, everyone should be allowed equally to say whatever they want... of course, that has no bearing whatsoever upon viewers ability to click the thumbsdown button and tear into the content creator, or create their own rebuttal videos etc. Outright banning's should always and only occur where a video has broken YouTube terms of service... and should probably only effect the VIDEO and not the content creator... I sort of feel youtubes tendency to ban a whole channel after an arbitrary number of infractions is even pretty harsh. It's one thing if the creator has dropped dozens of videos that break the terms of service agreement continually... its another when an arbitrary third infraction occurs over the course of six years the creator simply accidentally let slip past them.
Last edited by Femina 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Have you seen some of the shit that was on Parler? Criminality was so rampant on there that any host would be justified in pulling the plug.

As for hate speech, I really don't see how the definition vague and confusing. You can merrily call a black guy a prick without it being hate speech. The moment you qualify prick with a racial epithet, it becomes hate speech because race is cited as an aggravating factor, rather than just focusing on the guy's individual prickishness. Easy!

Ok so what if BLM calls for the death of cops or Antifa says "Stomp the white man"? Is that hate speech? "Eat the rich" is that hate speech. Yes your criteria is woefully ill defined.

Provide proof of this "criminality" on Parlor that isn't above the same noise or rhetoric posted on Twitter against other groups?

https://www.amren.com/commentary/2019/1 ... n-twitter/
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-45052534
https://www.amren.com/commentary/2018/0 ... fied-hate/
https://nypost.com/2020/09/24/face-fact ... bout-hate/

I can go on. So please, I'd love to see some so called "criminality" that is above the same level of spew that comes from twitter posters?

Look H.A. I want to resolve this. I really do. Your attitude ONLY hurts you. One side gets silenced and you WILL get silenced at some point. A company like youtube or twitter more than likely will resort to scorched earth tactics at some point meaning everyone loses. Is that what you want? You may think you're screwing the other team but we're all on the same Snowpiercer train.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Femina wrote:
3 years ago
Can I just point out how the threat to ban Scribbler (dunno if it has actually happened or not?) because of their direct personal attacks is essentially the same thing as Canceling someone.
I agree.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

Ok so what if BLM calls for the death of cops or Antifa says "Stomp the white man"? Is that hate speech? "Eat the rich" is that hate speech. Yes your criteria is woefully ill defined.

Provide proof of this "criminality" on Parlor that isn't above the same noise or rhetoric posted on Twitter against other groups?

I can go on. So please, I'd love to see some so called "criminality" that is above the same level of spew that comes from twitter posters?

Look H.A. I want to resolve this. I really do. Your attitude ONLY hurts you. One side gets silenced and you WILL get silenced at some point. A company like youtube or twitter more than likely will resort to scorched earth tactics at some point meaning everyone loses. Is that what you want? You may think you're screwing the other team but we're all on the same Snowpiercer train.
Inciting the murder of cops is clearly a bit wrong. Report it if you see it. Report platforms that refuse to take it down. You seem to be under the impression that I endorse such conduct, as if everyone notionally belonging to "the left" is collectively culpable for death threats against cops.

As for criminality on Parler, hackers downloaded a treasure trove of video evidence from the January 6 riot uploaded to a private area of Parler. I guess they couldn't resist showing off to each other.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 89337.html

Plus there were the general calls to violence posted openly.

https://www.businessinsider.com/parler- ... ?r=US&IR=T
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No one has been banned as far as I am aware. The nature of the post I removed was different to those that he was warned about by Doc.

Banning is a last resort not our go to position and is the culmination of several appeals, cautions and warnings.

Theres no schadenfreude in doing it, myself and the other Mods don't want to do it.

Be respectful towards each other even if you disagree, imply (or is it infer?) someone is a dick without directly stating it and its all good.

One last point. These are extremely difficult times for everyone. None of us knows how well any of us are coping with their lives outside of this forum. Don't be the reason someone feels pushed into leaving here or worse doing anything stupid.
Cut each other some slack. Don't fire off a reply when your blood is up and you are incensed by something you have read. Take a time out, calm down, compose a measured response and then go berserk and write your reply.

Just be polite and respect each other even though you disagree. Let this be a fun place to chat where we can leave the crappier elements of the outside world at the door.

Let's be adults about all this shit.

Never thought I'd miss the arguments about panty hose and bare legs....
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

Inciting the murder of cops is clearly a bit wrong. Report it if you see it. Report platforms that refuse to take it down. You seem to be under the impression that I endorse such conduct, as if everyone notionally belonging to "the left" is collectively culpable for death threats against cops.

As for criminality on Parler, hackers downloaded a treasure trove of video evidence from the January 6 riot uploaded to a private area of Parler. I guess they couldn't resist showing off to each other.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 89337.html

Plus there were the general calls to violence posted openly.

https://www.businessinsider.com/parler- ... ?r=US&IR=T
WOW! TWitter has the same kind of calls for violence against police from BLM and antifa posters. WHY wasn't twitter's servers pulled down?
And you refer to calling "inciting the murder of of cops" as "a bit wrong"? WTF?!

Its pretty apparent you can't see this double standard so arguing this is pointless. Just don't complain when it happens to you or "your team" or people you support. But spare anyone any discussion about hypocrisy. Also I clicked on the article you posted and cannot view it due to subscription. The other showed NO posts that were any different than violent calls from BLM and Antifa. But it does point out something pretty terrible - cancelling the account of a standing president. Also the second article says that comments like "the election was stolen" is somehow hate speech or criminal or something.

Again there's no discussing this. Its pointless. You're no different than the conservatives I had to deal with in my younger days being an activist in college. Your way is the only way.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I would like to second the 'ban Twitter' movement? I don't care who brought it up or why. I would like to cancel Twitter. Where do we sign up for that?
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

WOW! TWitter has the same kind of calls for violence against police from BLM and antifa posters. WHY wasn't twitter's servers pulled down?
And you refer to calling "inciting the murder of of cops" as "a bit wrong"? WTF?!

Its pretty apparent you can't see this double standard so arguing this is pointless. Just don't complain when it happens to you or "your team" or people you support. But spare anyone any discussion about hypocrisy. Also I clicked on the article you posted and cannot view it due to subscription. The other showed NO posts that were any different than violent calls from BLM and Antifa. But it does point out something pretty terrible - cancelling the account of a standing president. Also the second article says that comments like "the election was stolen" is somehow hate speech or criminal or something.

Again there's no discussing this. Its pointless. You're no different than the conservatives I had to deal with in my younger days being an activist in college. Your way is the only way.
C'mon, "a bit wrong" was clearly ironic.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm a spokesman for "the left" or something. As if that means you can somehow call hypocrisy over any perceived leftist position I may take by assuming that I must be fine and dandy with calls to kill cops.

Your positions all seem very black and white, them and us. No nuance, no context, no sense of proportion when comparing something as trivial and twatty as a twitter ban to something as devastating as being seriously persecuted and imprisoned.

Surely each Cancel Culture row should be judged on its own merits? Surely it's more productive to focus attention on those who are ultimately responsible for cancellations, rather that some poorly-defined homogeneous "the left"?

Nuance. Give it a try.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

C'mon, "a bit wrong" was clearly ironic.

You seem to be under the impression that I'm a spokesman for "the left" or something. As if that means you can somehow call hypocrisy over any perceived leftist position I may take by assuming that I must be fine and dandy with calls to kill cops.

Your positions all seem very black and white, them and us. No nuance, no context, no sense of proportion when comparing something as trivial and twatty as a twitter ban to something as devastating as being seriously persecuted and imprisoned.

Surely each Cancel Culture row should be judged on its own merits? Surely it's more productive to focus attention on those who are ultimately responsible for cancellations, rather that some poorly-defined homogeneous "the left"?

Nuance. Give it a try.
Most people on the left reject this cancel culture nonsense.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

It seems last night's shooter was a guilt-stricken customer of the massage spas who decided that executing the girls was the best way to remove further temptation. Now that's serious Cancel Culture. And terrorism. I doubt Fox News will see it that way, though. A slight rebranding of Mr Potato Head is much more serious.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
It seems last night's shooter was a guilt-stricken customer of the massage spas who decided that executing the girls was the best way to remove further temptation. Now that's serious Cancel Culture. And terrorism. I doubt Fox News will see it that way, though. A slight rebranding of Mr Potato Head is much more serious.
Not every act of madness and criminality can be categorized as cancel culture. I could say the same thing about the Bernie bro who shot Congressman Steve Scalise, but that and other acts of violence are not part of any social media campaign designed to inhibit free speech or ideas that diverge from the social media Twitter mob. Associating the term cancel culture with the tragedy that occurred last night is using a tragic event and trying to politicize it for ideological or political gain. Those senseless murders have nothing to do with our nation's debates about culture or politics and thus the use of that term is not appropriate in my view.
Damselbinder

You know what?

X I'm gonna grant you something here. You say that there's no good definition for hate speech. I think on that specific point I'd probably disagree, but I don't think it matters too much because it's indicative of a larger problem. So like even if you're wrong, you're basically right. That problem is that I don't think there's a sufficiently developed philosophy underpinning the more energetic left-wing movements like BLM.

For all its flaws (for the sake of argument I'm even willing to admit it was a total, catastrophic failure because I don't think it affects my point either way) the socialist/communist uprisings of the early 20th century had a solid - that is, comprehensible and at least prima facie convincing - philosophical background behind them in the writings of Marx and Hegel and so on. Even if you think Marx and co. were wrong about everything, they SOUNDED right enough that there was a clear goal and message, clear enough that even the layperson knew what the movement was roughly aiming at.

I don't pretend for a moment that the BLM movement is directionless. That's absurd. But I think there's less of a teleology. It's motivated by something really, really specific - particular injustices in a system that are being objected to. Anger about particular instances of injustice, and particular political figures and systems responding ineffectively. That is not in itself a criticism. But I think it's caught the mood to a massive extent, and it's mobilized a huge amount of political energy. That (to me) is a good thing. But there's not enough of a well-communicated philosophy to some of the core concepts. This isn't even necessarily an intellectual problem as such: there's been VAST amounts of literature on the subject of race relations and intersectionality and so on, but I don't think it's filtered down into the way the movement is communicated to people outside it.

My impression is that there's a feeling in the movement that society is even sicker than people think and that there needs to be radical transformation. But it's difficult when a movement seems to be starting with the needs of a particular minority group for that movement to convince the wider society that they too are - if not actually oppressed - suffering from a society that, intentionally or otherwise, isn't helping them, or is going against their needs.

I don't know. I guess this ramble is just me saying "I appreciate that perspectives are different on all this stuff". I don't know.

Fuck.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Not every act of madness and criminality can be categorized as cancel culture. I could say the same thing about the Bernie bro who shot Congressman Steve Scalise, but that and other acts of violence are not part of any social media campaign designed to inhibit free speech or ideas that diverge from the social media Twitter mob. Associating the term cancel culture with the tragedy that occurred last night is using a tragic event and trying to politicize it for ideological or political gain. Those senseless murders have nothing to do with our nation's debates about culture or politics and thus the use of that term is not appropriate in my view.

Wait a minute, you defend Gina Corona's right to compare trivial social media cancellations to the genocide of 6 million Jews. Yet when I compare cancel culture to a relatively small death toll, it's politicization for ideological or political gain.

See what I did there? You're quite right to admonish me for comparing the frivolous to the gravely serious. Others could learn from that.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Damselbinder, I think you're expecting Black Lives Matter to take on more than its mission. And maybe missing the reason why it doesn't.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

https://www.newsweek.com/atlanta-suspec ... on-1576851
https://www.newsweek.com/who-robert-aar ... ct-1576712

Long in Atlanta was attacking sex workers and NOT Asians. Kind of seemed weird if this was race related he would just pick massage parlors and not grocery or restaurants.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I don't know. I guess this ramble is just me saying "I appreciate that perspectives are different on all this stuff". I don't know.
I appreciate your honesty and the discussion.

I don't agree something is sick underneath. I think there is stress but I think a lot of this is class related and for some reason there is a group that tries to always get a moral high ground to wave a finger down on others. Maybe its not stress but shear social boredom. There's maybe 2000 Na*is in the US, mostly loser meth heads in trailers. I don't agree there is a white supremacy movement.

Maybe its due to two generations raised to be rebels and now they are looking for causes. Don't know. But these radicals on all sides are not seeing or thinking clearly. I agree with Steve Pinker. America in nearly all stats, has become amazingly better, not worse.

BTW we did see the phenomena in the 1990s with right to life. They went crazy. Some hijacked the virtuous cause of saving fetuses to kill doctors, beat people up, burn down clinics. It was insane. It also occurred in the final decade of the right losing its social power over society. I've noticed, as people more lose they double down on extremism and hyperbole. Like climate change people when someone doesn't agree with them they double down on the severity.
Last edited by Mr. X 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
bushwackerbob wrote:
3 years ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago

Wait a minute, you defend Gina Corona's right to compare trivial social media cancellations to the genocide of 6 million Jews. Yet when I compare cancel culture to a relatively small death toll, it's politicization for ideological or political gain.

See what I did there? You're quite right to admonish me for comparing the frivolous to the gravely serious. Others could learn from that.
If you read any of my previous posts, you would find that I have said on more than one occasion on this topic that anyone that compares the horrors of Hitler or Nazi Germany to contemporary events is stupid and foolhardy to do so, I believe my exact words I used were in one post "unhinged". Check my posts if you don't believe me. I just don't think that making stupid or idiotic comments ought to be a good reason to lose a gig, even if they are a public figure.
Last edited by bushwackerbob 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Damselbinder

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
3 years ago
I appreciate your honesty and the discussion.

I don't agree something is sick underneath. I think there is stress but I think a lot of this is class related and for some reason there is a group that tries to always get a moral high ground to wave a finger down on others. Maybe its not stress but shear social boredom. There's maybe 2000 Na*is in the US, mostly loser meth heads in trailers. I don't agree there is a white supremacy movement.

Maybe its due to two generations raised to be rebels and now they are looking for causes. Don't know. But these radicals on all sides are not seeing or thinking clearly. I agree with Steve Pinker. America in nearly all stats, has become amazingly better, not worse.
I don't think that people who think that there's a systemic sickness - even if they're wrong - think that the sickness is literally Nazism. In fact, I'd say it is class related.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

Long in Atlanta was attacking sex workers and NOT Asians. Kind of seemed weird if this was race related he would just pick massage parlors and not grocery or restaurants.
Yes, information so far suggests that the terrorist had personally used massage parlors and felt the righteous need to vanquish the temptresses for making him stray from God's path.

So, he's a misogynist who killed women for ideological reasons related to their sex with no mention of racial motivation yet. That's much better! We can all breath a sigh of relief that the snotty little incel wanted some Asian women dead because he saw them as worthless whores, rather than COVID spreaders.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago
Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago

Yes, information so far suggests that the terrorist had personally used massage parlors and felt the righteous need to vanquish the temptresses for making him stray from God's path.

So, he's a misogynist who killed women for ideological reasons related to their sex with no mention of racial motivation yet. That's much better! We can all breath a sigh of relief that the snotty little incel wanted some Asian women dead because he saw them as worthless whores, rather than COVID spreaders.

Cmon H.A. That's uncalled for. I merely posted the discovered motive. I'm not glad it wasn't race related. Why did you jump to that hyperbolic position? Wouldn't that just start another argument? There's always sick people.

https://www.newsweek.com/church-robert- ... gs-1576893

BTW could be his church might have had rhetoric that might have complicated his issue. We saw this in the 1990s where a church had talked/groomed a young man into shooting an abortion doctor.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Those poor souls in Atlanta are dead. I suspect most people who seek to end another person's life are severely morally damaged individuals who have lost a part of their humanity and lack the ability to properly empathize with their fellow man. People decide to take other people's lives for a myriad of different reasons, there is no "good", "better", or "acceptable" reason why some crazy or deranged person decides to take another person's life, those poor souls in Atlanta are still dead for no good reason. This tragedy ought not to be about keeping score or attacking or pointing fingers at one's politics or ideology, it ought to be about grieving the loss of innocent life. Very sad.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
Heroine Addict wrote:
3 years ago

Errr... the “game was flipped”. Trump lost the house in 2018 and the Senate and White House in 2020. The response by the Republicans? Whining about made up voter fraud that even Republican appointed judges weren’t worth a crap. A riot that injured more than a hundred police and left five dead (so much for “blue lives matter”), millions of dollars in damage to the capital building and the images of American legislators running for their lives on every TV around the world.

After the 2016 election liberals had women show up at a protest in pussy hats. That’s how the left took losing the electoral college. Women wore hats. Who do you think the were the whining crybabies, the ones who wore hats or the ones that rioted and smeared feces on Capital walls?

Free speech is not free of consequences. You can say whatever you want. You are more than able to graphically describe how you are going to kill someone online, but that doesn’t mean you aren’t going to get banned and a visit from the cops.

The problem the right has is they have normalized making sh*t up and if a lie is widely believed it should be given the same platform rights as demonstrable truths. They aren’t, that people believe it true doesn’t mean that it deserves equal time.

Just as a general rule of thumb, if you want to know if you are on the right side of history, look where the nazis are. If they are on the same side as you, you are probably on the wrong side.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So Skumbag Von Murderer talks to his lawyer, is made aware how many many more years a hate crime tags onto his murder spree sentence, and tells the world that his targeting of asians was just coincidental. Uh-huh. Yeah, sure. We should all believe Skumbag Von Murderer because??????

Skumbag Von Murderer isn't a member here right? Otherwise this post is in trouble.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The left is able to say whatever they want without consequences, use homophobic slurs to attack conservatives, deride supreme court nominees as cheerleaders, go after family members of conservative commentators, disrupt events where conservatives have been invited to speak, have those events cancelled, use terms to describe conservative women that would not be tolerated if they were ascribed to left leaning politicians. I agree that free speech is not free of consequences, it's just that those consequences seem to be different in terms of what "team" you play for. I think if you want to be on the right side of history, you ought not to get your news from sources that told you for 3 years that Trump was guilty of Russian collusion and then when Democrat Mueller popped that balloon, most of those outlets never offered a retraction or admitted they were wrong. Rumors and innuendo race around the world while the truth gets its pants on. The left has no monopoly on the truth, far from it.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

The consequences aren't for being conservative, they're for lying or being racist or homophobic.

Who's using homophobic statements without consequences? Point them out and I'm sure that'll get fixed.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago
So Skumbag Von Murderer talks to his lawyer, is made aware how many many more years a hate crime tags onto his murder spree sentence, and tells the world that his targeting of asians was just coincidental. Uh-huh. Yeah, sure. We should all believe Skumbag Von Murderer because??????

Skumbag Von Murderer isn't a member here right? Otherwise this post is in trouble.
But then why only Parlors? Plenty of Asian restaurants or grocery stores or hair salons. He specifically picked massage parlors. Maybe you should just take things at face value and calm down a bit. Maybe you're right and its some false claim. His church may have had some influence on him. Maybe the reason these were Asian businesses is maybe only Asians have such massage parlors. How about we wait and see when more news comes in.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 years ago
theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago

But then why only Parlors? Plenty of Asian restaurants or grocery stores or hair salons. He specifically picked massage parlors. Maybe you should just take things at face value and calm down a bit. Maybe you're right and its some false claim. His church may have had some influence on him. Maybe the reason these were Asian businesses is maybe only Asians have such massage parlors. How about we wait and see when more news comes in.
I'm just surmising like everyone else in this thread, based on early info. Yes, my surmising at this early stage could be wrong. Maybe he didn't learn about hate crimes added years from a lawyer, maybe his KKK leader told him about that. :joker:
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

theScribbler wrote:
3 years ago

Most people don’t see themselves as bigots. Trump believes he is a good man, a god fearing Christian. He never saw anything he did to women as wrong. He thinks he is irresistible to women. He never saw it as harassment or rape. Neither did PLP. The toughest part of addiction is to see yourself as being the addict. A lot of the Trumpers on Jan 6 didn’t realize just how far down the rabbit hole they had gone until they had the FBI booking them.

Dildo Baggins may not have realized that his thing was about Asians. A little hard to say, Trump and others were saying a lot of racist crap may have only sped up a train that was already moving.
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The right is able to say whatever they want without consequences, they learned this watching and following Trump and lickety split joined the Trump cult...
[insert so many examples here, it's so hard to choose from so long a list, so will choose later, and replace via edit, if it seems worth the time, not sure, most people know already many of the right's crap]
The right absolutely has a monopoly on lies, untruths, BS. Cause they have Trump. Trump by himself is the premiere lying machine. Along with high capacity liars like Rudy and Ron Johnson and Ted Cruz and Fox News and....

[for reference later cause so much of this is not true]
use homophobic slurs to attack conservatives, deride supreme court nominees as cheerleaders, go after family members of conservative commentators, disrupt events where conservatives have been invited to speak, have those events cancelled, use terms to describe conservative women that would not be tolerated if they were ascribed to left leaning politicians. I agree that free speech is not free of consequences, it's just that those consequences seem to be different in terms of what "team" you play for. I think if you want to be on the right side of history, you ought not to get your news from sources that told you for 3 years that Trump was guilty of Russian collusion and then when Democrat Mueller popped that balloon, most of those outlets never offered a retraction or admitted they were wrong. Rumors and innuendo race around the world while the truth gets its pants on. The left has no monopoly on the truth, far from it.
the Scribbler

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I would be willing to bet that the massage parlors he targeted were ones that he frequented, and possibly were ones that he was escorted away from for one reason or another for being a troublemaker or for being creepy. Massage parlors have to deal with LOTS of people who slink around the front room even though they have no money, hoping to talk to the girls for free on their breaks or get a freebie when times are slow. Mooching is pretty common in the bigger cities from the social parasites until they get physically run off by management, cops, or by security for breaking one rule or another. I used to work as staff at a massage parlor when I was younger. We were always having to come to the front to throw out assholes who didn't understand that 60 minutes means 60 minutes, and that $150 means $150, not $50 and a bunch of pitiful begging from some lonesome loser.

Anyone who thinks that this wasn't racially motivated though is insane. They're just trying to avoid getting him an additional twenty-five years added to their criminal sentence for racial hate crimes. I'm sure once the police and the investigators pick carefully through all of his social media with a fine-toothed comb, they'll find plenty of racially-motivated evidence to throw the book at this loser. What he deserves is the electric chair, or a bit of mob justice where they grab him in the middle of the night and get some revenge. No big loss.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

Maybe he didn't hate Asians, maybe he hated women.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Imagineer wrote:
3 years ago
Maybe he didn't hate Asians, maybe he hated women.
Did he kill people? Cause if he killed people it shouldn't matter why he did it, he should just be given the harshest punishment available because he did the worst thing you can do. If you kill someone, it doesn't really matter if you killed them cause you hate them, hate the service they provide, hate their industry, or are just a nutty weirdo who decided at random one day to kill a bunch of people for no particular reason.... the solution to all of the above is 'go to fucking jail forever' or just the death penalty if its in a state that allows for it.

Though once that's done some investigation into why he did it isn't so bad. If it can be used to help prevent future such things... just like, I'm sort of to the opinion that if someone murders me... WHY they did it is much less consequential than the fact that I'm dead and they did it... and I want them to suffer for it damn it!
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

If anyone thinks that a discussion of this multiple-victim violent attack and its intersection with violence triggered by prejudice might not just be a garbage fire, I humbly suggest it get its own thread.