Fuck Twitter

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I recently watched a youtube video on a channel belonging to a woman I greatly admire (but have no personal affiliation with) whose been, you guessed it 'cancelled' by twitter... and it's finally pushed me beyond my breaking point on all of this. I would like to join the throng of people who want to cancel, cancel culture... but I want to use its power one last time, to cancel the platform with the most power to cancel... culture.

Twitter.

To begin with, I'm not going to supply the name of the individual who incited this, some of you may be able to piece it together relatively quickly enough as the woman isn't an entire unknown, that's fine, if you'd like to throw her some support that's fair as well, but as these things go, drawing TOO much attention to the individual only makes it worse for them overall, and I'd ask that you refrain from attempting to guess who I'm talking about here as the inciting factor is not in actuality the purpose of this and I will not make any affirmation or denial to any such mentions, I'll simply ignore the question. I'd like to further point out that, and I am somewhat proud of myself for this in that selfishly perverse sort of way, this is not the first time I've announced my public disdain for the Twitterverse and its impact on people and our society even to our very membership and so my reaction to all of this is not as reactionary as some of these sorts of crusades often are... but it is perhaps the first time I would condition my feelings as a call to arms.

So first off. FUCK TWITTER! It professes to be a social medium by which to share your thoughts and opinions amongst your friends. What it actually amounts to is an encouragement to document your stray thoughts and to condition you into a false sense of comfort with the reception of said thoughts... until your stray thought spews out wildly enough, randomly enough, misrepresented enough, or hell even truthfully enough that it can be used to feed you to the rest of the twitterverse like so much Soylent Green.

So here I put this post and encourage voices from every walk of life. If in time it must be put into the Phantom Zone that's alright, but it's my hope that we won't need to... because in this I would like to invite allies from any and every walk. For these purposes I don't care if your leftist or alt right, I don't care if you're SJW or neo-nazi. I don't care how racist or not you are, sexist or not you are. I don't care if you use smudged terms for recreation on the fly that would normally piss me off, I don't care if you adopt kittens just to keep them from being euthanized. I don't care if you're literate, illiterate, multilingual or an inmate on death row for murders you absolutely committed!

All that matters in this thread is that you're a human being and it is in all of your best interests to get off of Twitter... but more importantly that you take Twitter down behind you so that you are never pressured by any outside force to EVER AGAIN return to Twitter, like as imposed by your employment contract or some other enforced bullshit. You don't need it, it is a bomb under your seat waiting to go off. I don't care today even if it was a legitimate bomb, today that doesn't matter because no amount of evil you may or may not have done in your entire life outweighs the evils that Twitter encourages on the daily, and thus all are welcome in this witch hunt. So here, in this thread, if you #canceltwitter, you're with me.

Just like... you know, keep it TO canceling twitter as much as you can... The whole 'ignoring your political differences thing' kind of falls apart when you make it about them. So come here if you want Twitter gone, and if you want twitter gone... than believe wholeheartedly that it doesn't matter WHY the person next to you wants Twitter gone, because the end goal is worthy enough on its own. We can get back to the rest of our bullshit when its done.

#Canceltwitter
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I won't mention her by name, but I know the incident you're referring to. I feel pretty much the same way about it.

Twitter is basically set up to incentivize addiction. I'm convinced that people get literally addicted to the serotonin hit of "likes" and engagement and it disconnects them from things like reason and perspective. Combine that with its being a low-trust environment because of the pervasive trolling and brigading, and it's a nuthouse.

I remember when I first came to Twitter and tried to actually use it to have conversations. It's explicitly not built for that. People would lose their fucking minds over the most trivial shit, I once freaked someone all the way out by disagreeing with one of their "top ten movies" picks. I'm not even joking. On the few occasions I tried to interact with someone for more than three Tweets in a row without just delivering them an uncomplicated "like" and a fist bump, they'd get paranoid and suspicious almost immediately. I had one dude denounce me as a bot out of the blue during what I thought was a friendly chat.

I've continued to use Twitter, but I stopped using it for publicity early on. I don't want publicity on Twitter. "The beast" is always watching for the next person to pillory. I use it mostly to find cool shit and dumb memes, but the number of people I've had to block on there just to tolerate it is astronomical. And even then I'm getting sick of it. I suspect I'll be cancelling Twitter myself before long.
Last edited by NotUv2 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Check out my stories (and in some cases, books):

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X Homepage (NEW STORiES ADDED 4/8/21)
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I've never gotten on Twitter myself. Seems like that was one of my better decisions.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I'm from Wales we can't afford joined up writing, let alone dabbling in witchcraft
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

You're calling Femina a witch now?! You are the worst! Cancel culturalist! Demon. Oh, wait is that daemon in Welsh. Oh, no! Now I'm appropriating your culture. Get me out of this morality quicksand! HELP!!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
You're calling Femina a witch now?! You are the worst! Cancel culturalist! Demon. Oh, wait is that daemon in Welsh. Oh, no! Now I'm appropriating your culture. Get me out of this morality quicksand! HELP!!
If Witchcraft would get rid of Twitter, I'd happily dabble... alas I don't believe in magic.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I never registered for Twitter or similar social media platforms because they are just a way to gather personal information and monetize the sale of it. Besides they and others apply their 'rules" as they want to ban accounts for whatever reasonwhile allowing others to remain that are in definite violation.

Case in point, an account that sole contents were exact retweets on Trump's Twitter account to see how long it would last compared to the source. It got closed long before Jasnuary 6.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

No idea who this is about. Twitter raises my blood pressure. Most content that I actually like is pointing out content that I despise. I'd prefer the site to slide into irrelevance, so that the crazies are occupied by fighting amongst themselves. If the entire site disappeared it would be like lancing an infected boil.

One good thing about twitter though is that you can find out what kind of person would be an awful friend or employee, without going to the trouble of finding out the normal way. There are properties of twitter bios that strongly correlate with how sufferable the person who wrote it is.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Too much power in the hands of too few players. Time to break up the monopolies.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

Femina wrote:
2 years ago
I recently watched a youtube video on a channel belonging to a woman I greatly admire (but have no personal affiliation with) whose been, you guessed it 'cancelled' by twitter...
Same thing happened to me last week.
Then delighted in her 1 hour video about cancel culture.
fun times.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
I've never gotten on Twitter myself. Seems like that was one of my better decisions.
Mine as well nor I am on Facebook

I am on LinkedIn for professional reasons

And I've joined Clubhouse
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Ah I think I know what this is. If so, don't know much beyond reading the KiwiFarms thread, but that hasn't stopped me from having an opinion before!

seems like this person made a fairly innocent joke, to which some plebs overreacted, but who hasn't actually been denied service, been fired etc, and may well get more patreon subs etc as a result of the drama. A person any less beloved claiming "cancel culture" in such a situation, might be accused of "smudging language"! Also gives ammunition to those who say things about "just being held accountable".

I do agree that twitter is shit though.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
You are good, Doc. It's 'CYTHRAUL'
Thats 'kuth' with a 'the' sound to the th and 'rowl'
As in 'growl'
Great sound to it actually, sounds very demonic, lol.

Yes I'm not on any social media as I prefer real friends to be people I know and have preferably met.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
Ah I think I know what this is. If so, don't know much beyond reading the KiwiFarms thread, but that hasn't stopped me from having an opinion before!

seems like this person made a fairly innocent joke, to which some plebs overreacted, but who hasn't actually been denied service, been fired etc, and may well get more patreon subs etc as a result of the drama. A person any less beloved claiming "cancel culture" in such a situation, might be accused of "smudging language"! Also gives ammunition to those who say things about "just being held accountable".

I do agree that twitter is shit though. The site is also too narrow. Like looking at a mobile phone on a computer.
It is much much MUCH too narrow. The 'character limit' itself is essentially a system encouraging one give nothing but their most basic thoughtless account of something they may otherwise have a much more detailed and thoughtful opinion on. It's pretty much designed to trick people into saying something they don't even mean at the wrong time and then tossing them to the dogs. It effectively THRIVES on this is the worst of it. The ecology of cannibalizing parts of itself for profit particularly makes it a repugnant thing to me. At this point, one could be forgiven for taking in stride a Twitter advert for using their platform as means to take tangible, harmful impact upon human beings you don't like... and all basically for nothing but interpreting what they said however you like. Well... fuck that!

I don't consider myself some flawless paragon of anything. I often say 'freedom of speech is not freedom of consequence' and for the most part still generally subscribe to that. My take on Cancel Culture itself has been tinted by this, because even insofar as Twitter is concerned an element of personal accountability still resides... but we've basically blown past that culturally. Today some people are FORCED to make Twitter accounts as like, clauses in their business contracts and other such bullshit. I can't say that I believe cancel culture can or even should be utterly wiped out COMPLETELY, since an element of social accountability may or may not be inherent in the ecosystem of a 'just society' and because I don't believe people will ever find a way to quit advertising their 'train of thought' SOMEWHERE... but I do believe that it's currently running harmfully rampant, and if we could destroy Twitter, we'd probably find that Cancel Culture will have lost probably AT LEAST 50% of its power... and if it loses enough steam, if we're lucky, it might fall back into a balanced equilibrium whereby like... A serial killer murdering 25 human beings to become the ire of societies 'cancel' instinct is the right sort of cancel culture... burning people's lives to the ground over 256 characters simply isn't.
the123
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

i use twitter to share my youtube music reactions i like the forum.
Evil Spider
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
Mine as well nor I am on Facebook
I left Facebook many years ago, I guess my account is still there just deactivated or something, I've never had a Twitter account or any other twiitbooks or whatever there even is nowadays.
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'll add my support to this thread. I'll butcher an old saying I appreciated back when the internet first exploded on the scene (yes, I am old). Never have so many people have so much to say about so little. The very idea that complex and nuanced topics should be addressed on Twitter is insane. The idea that some unbiased person or people will dictate what can be posted and what should be banned is also insane. Why do we assume people in 2021 are somehow better people than any people in the past, and that people will never have a majority position that is wrong or inaccurate? Imagine if Twitter existed 100 years ago. What important but unpopular opinions would be censored and people banned because they were not echoing the majority view?
Granted, it must be frustrating reading ignorant, erroneous or inflammatory posts on Twitter. Then again, people can simply choose not to follow certain people, not read certain posts, or delete their Twitter account.
Thankfully, I have heard only a small percent--somewhere in the range of five to ten percent--of people actively post on Twitter.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
Bert

Twitter fits the attention span of people brought up on Rene Harlin/Paul Greengrass films. The format was seized by attention-seeking media whore celebrities to buff their egos via huge follower numbers. It's just high school popularity bullshit run amok. As appalled as I am that Donald Trump had so many followers, it always amused me that Obama always had more. I never had even the tiniest interest in getting an account.
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

This is not a perfect analogy, but when I hear talk of cancel culture and the Twitter purge like mob that inevitably accompanies these campaigns, my mind races to a story in my neck of the woods and a 15 year old girl named Phoebe Prince who emigrated from Ireland to Massachusetts in 2009. Phoebe, the new girl in town got into typical teenage adolescent boyfriend drama and she was then subject to both bullying and harassment and an ugly social media cyberbullying campaign by two groups of students, which tragically led to the poor girl hanging herself in 2010. I believe that a lot of aspects of cancel culture and Twitter lend itself seamlessly to the issue of cyberbullying. I believe there is a sickness in this world where certain types of folks derive a perverted kind of pleasure in causing harm to others, they bask in the joy of others misery, they enjoy this illusory sense of power they think they have over other human beings, that with one or two keystrokes they use social media platforms as vehicles to intentionally harm, or take folks down that may say something they disagree with, unpopular, or otherwise goes against conventional wisdom. Some of these a-holes are drunk and intoxicated with that illusory power. Nobody's perfect, but sometimes I think some people forget that everybody is someone's mom, dad, brother, sister, son, or daughter.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Its not "culture" its "cult".
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The issue I have with focusing on the mob/cult as the main problem is that it shifts responsibility for cancellations from the multi-billion dollar corporation that actually does the cancelling and onto a (possibly tiny) group of vocal service users.

Femina has the right idea in boycotting the business. Hit them where it hurts by giving them fewer clicks and less revenue.

Putting the blame entirely on a nebulous mob of little gobshites obfuscates the real issue of social media monopolies having too much power.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Heroine Addict wrote:
2 years ago
The issue I have with focusing on the mob/cult as the main problem is that it shifts responsibility for cancellations from the multi-billion dollar corporation that actually does the cancelling and onto a (possibly tiny) group of vocal service users.

Femina has the right idea in boycotting the business. Hit them where it hurts by giving them fewer clicks and less revenue.

Putting the blame entirely on a nebulous mob of little gobshites obfuscates the real issue of social media monopolies having too much power.
I do agree boycotting Twitter and Facebook would be a good thing, the question is can the majority of users who are not Cancel Culture advocates see how toxic these platforms are
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

If you are not paying for something, you are the product, not the consumer. Google, YouTube, FB, Twitter are in the business of collecting and selling data. They don’t ban porn because it wouldn’t be popular, they ban it because it isn’t profitable.

Like any business, they get to choose what makes it onto the shelves. It is only over the last couple of years that they have felt the pressure to ban certain ideas or ideologies. Banning porn is easy to target, but gets fuzzy around the edges when you get to breast feeding, or self-exams, contraceptive etc, because bots can’t detect nuances. ISIS beheadings are relatively easy to ban because they are universally abhorrent to most people. When you get hate speech associated with ISIS, you wade into progressively muddier waters, because at some point you start to talk about legitimate complaints about US, Israeli, Russian or western actions towards parts of the Islamic world.

Where does the line get drawn? China and the Uighur or Hong Kong? Again it about the market place.

Should Twitter ban ISIS calling for violence against the US and completely ignore neo-Nazi calling for the destruction of Islam? Should Twitter ignore demonstrably false statements about Covid vaccines, infection rates or immigration? That something is widely believed, doesn’t make it true. A huge portion (still a minority) of Americans believe the election was stolen from Trump. Despite no evidence, the echo chamber riled up a few thousand to the point of violence. Should Twitter or FB ignore that or provide a platform for it? The great and wonderful voice of saying whatever the f*** you want, Parlor, almost immediately started to put rules down and banning people based on ideology.

Boycotting a group, site or store you don’t like has been around for more than a century. Organizations (be it CNN or Fox) have been making editorial decisions about coverage since the printing press and the Council of Nicaea (325 AD). I believe the current, in vogue term is Cancel Culture....

You can feel free to boycott the Twitterverse, Kim K and Gwyneth Paltrow will miss the opportunity to market you cooche scented candles, but the shelves will remained stocked and the loss of your data will pass without a ripple....

Full disclosure, I am not on Twitter. But am also not their target demographic.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Well now some people know what its like when others got banned. Laughing when its one's opposition that got banned cause "hate speech" and "they are boo boo heads" or some such obtuse standard then they get banned and cry a river. "I thought I was the good guy".

My only fear is people will run to the government like the idiot right wingers are doing and demand regulation. That will ONLY hand power to these companies. Politicians listen to green not YOU. If these companies cannot figure out fairness then you think some politician will?
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
Well now some people know what its like when others got banned. Laughing when its one's opposition that got banned cause "hate speech" and "they are boo boo heads" or some such obtuse standard then they get banned and cry a river. "I thought I was the good guy".

My only fear is people will run to the government like the idiot right wingers are doing and demand regulation. That will ONLY hand power to these companies. Politicians listen to green not YOU. If these companies cannot figure out fairness then you think some politician will?
I feel like I've not really done this. Even during the pepe le pew disaster thread, I feel like I was relatively clear that I don't much care for Twitter... but perhaps wasn't 'militant' about it... I definitely wasn't laughing at cancelled individuals though so much as I was (and I suppose in many ways still am) attempting to work out how I personally feel about the phenomena, where it stems from... and after a fact what could even be DONE about it. The reason I have started this thread... is because, difficult as any such things might be, even if its impossible to accomplish, Twitter is a very notable and obvious proprietor and benefactor of the culture that actively... well... FARMS the behavior so to speak. We can't do anything about the 'cults' as you would phrase it... because cults are hard to spot and weed out unless they want to be noticed or start wiping their bottoms on the street. Twitter is something we could feasibly do something about. If enough people stopped using it, it'd shut down or at the very least, have to restructure itself into something other than the toilet it is. Anyhow, I agree I wouldn't ask the government for assistance on this, they wouldn't DO anything because Twitter would just pay them not to. The only real solution I can see here is to just.... convince enough people to stop using it. Which lets face it, is gonna be hard and not gonna happen just from me talking to people HERE... but I am pretty much starting this call anywhere I have a voice in the hopes that maybe other people will start doing the same.

Just feel like regardless of what anyone here believes, the world would be a better place without Twitter... maybe only marginally, who knows... but I feel confident it would at least be a liiiiiiiittle bit better for it.
dlo005
Elder Member
Elder Member

twitter, facebook, instagram, etc etc. its all about making money, selling your information simple as that. they have the numbers crunched and ban people who have opinions that they feel will upset most of their base.
Such are promises
All lies and jest
Still, a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest Simon & Garfunkel
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

"ban people who have opinions that they feel will upset most of their base."

Another way of saying "they very reluctantly and selectively enforce their terms of service when the roiling rat-king of Nazi fuckheads on their platform becomes impossible to ignore." Trump should've been banned, on the merits, according to Twitter's rules and terms of service from Day One. They only worked up the guts when it became clear they didn't have to play the odds anymore. Fucking scumbags. People got MURDERED behind that shit. It's STILL HAPPENING.

I don't want any (or at least too much, I guess) of that folded into the conversation about brigading: it's related to a limited extent, but engaging in terror and insurrection plots on your social medias is not remotely the same as comparing a movie to a TV show. (The "sin" of the unnamed party who kicked off this thread, most instances of brigading women off of Twitter or other social media are similarly based on jack shit going back to Gamergate and before it. First couple of times on Twitter I counted Gina Carano in that, too, and I have no regret for supporting her in those instances, lest you think this purely a political thing. It's broader than that.)

Enforcing terms of service designed to protect your community , which is ostensibly why you HAVE terms of service, is a GOOD thing. It's NOT mob justice unless it's primarily motivated by misuse of your reporting system (which absolutely happens, to be fair, and too few social media platforms are equipped to discern the difference, if any). What's so revealing about so many social media platforms is how often they fail to address it unless, and usually after, it leads to disaster and fatal violence.

Amazon
Literotica
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

At any rate... I have to concur with the OP. Fuck Twitter just generally. At the point where supposed "leftists" have become indistinguishable from the thinly-veiled neo-Nazis of Gamergate, the whole thing is a lost cause. Fuck all of it.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

Essentially dipping in and out of this thread because I don't want to get embroiled.
I think this was mentioned a few times above, but......
All of the major hi-tech platforms are pretty much the same way. They have more control than many governments do.

I bring you this cogent example: A few days ago, a right-wing senator (essentially the equivalent of our Republicans) in the
Romanian Senate made a speech which included anti-vax statements. Youtube has "terms of service" which does not
allow anti-vax/covid-skeptic statements on its platform, PERIOD. So, after this video went up on the Romanian Senate's
Youtube channel (which contains all the public speeches made by all Romanian Senators), Youtube threatened the Romanian
Senate with cancelling their entire Youtube channel if this woman's one video was not taken down. So they took down her video (and only her video) essentially censoring public discourse and stomping on democracy (public statements made in a political context
by a duly elected official of the government, representing her constituency). Google (which owns Youtube) in Silicon Valley did this to an Eastern European country halfway across the globe. That is an inexcusable amount of power for any private corporation to have. Here is the video by Vee explaining the whole incident (which was not covered by almost any other media in the United States whatsoever). Vee is one of the best sociopolitical Youtubers because he is one of the very few addressing First World issues from the perspective of an Eastern European who lived under totalitarian communism (the Ceaucescu regime in Romania).

NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Youtube has "terms of service" which does not allow anti-vax/covid-skeptic statements on its platform, PERIOD
Which Is ultimately correct. COVID misinformation in any form and from any source is inherently deadly, irresponsible, and utterly indefensible. "Anti-vax" and "COVID-skeptic" perspectives aren't valid and supportable disagreement. They're lethal disinformation that leads to more death. We're FAR past the point where we can humor conspiracy theory as a fun personal quirk. This shit has mortal consequences for people we love. For people we know.

HOW many "COVID skeptic dies of COVID" stories have there fucking been by now? It's in the thousands at a minimum.

Still, the vector of that decision is concerning. It shouldn't have to be a corporate decision safeguarding that particular wicket. That should be coming from democratic governments that aren't flirting with the netherworld of fascist misinformation, and Putin's Russia should have long since ceased to be a factor in that whole conversation... but, here we are. We are where we are.

Amazon
Literotica
shevek
Producer
Producer

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Youtube has "terms of service" which does not allow anti-vax/covid-skeptic statements on its platform, PERIOD
Which Is ultimately correct. COVID misinformation in any form and from any source is inherently deadly, irresponsible, and utterly indefensible. Still, the vector of that decision is concerning. It shouldn't have to be a corporate decision safeguarding that particular wicket. That should be coming from democratic governments that aren't flirting with the netherworld of fascist misinformation, and Putin's Russia should have long since ceased to be a factor in that whole conversation... but, here we are. We are where we are.
It's not just 'concerning', it's practically supervillainous. I said already, I won't engage and I meant it. So I'll leave it at that. Thanks!
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Which Is ultimately correct. COVID misinformation in any form and from any source is inherently deadly, irresponsible, and utterly indefensible. Still, the vector of that decision is concerning. It shouldn't have to be a corporate decision safeguarding that particular wicket. That should be coming from democratic governments that aren't flirting with the netherworld of fascist misinformation, and Putin's Russia should have long since ceased to be a factor in that whole conversation... but, here we are. We are where we are.
It's not just 'concerning', it's practically supervillainous. I said already, I won't engage and I meant it. So I'll leave it at that. Thanks!
Well, I'll engage. If we have "democratic" governments that won't engage honestly with the mortal threat of mass death and having our healthcare systems overrun (and yeah, I see that the openly and vigorously fascist BJP in India is trying to offload its many poor and callous decisions onto Biden at this point) I have to doubt how much "democracy" is really involved. And that also goes for the "anti-maskers" on the Western front, a fair few of whom have since become part of the "COVID denier gets COVID" demographic in the course of their lethal and irresponsible bullshit.

Amazon
Literotica
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Which Is ultimately correct. COVID misinformation in any form and from any source is inherently deadly, irresponsible, and utterly indefensible.
Does that include the irresponsibility of over reacting?
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Which Is ultimately correct. COVID misinformation in any form and from any source is inherently deadly, irresponsible, and utterly indefensible.
If you can actually tell me what "over-reacting" means in the context of a virus that has driven the entire subcontinent of India to a massive crisis point in the space of a few weeks, and which has previously overrun health care systems in multiple other countries at any point where they let their guards down, sure.

I'm not being entirely flip about this. Ontario's provincial government, after much playing-around with public health standards and trying to "reopen" this, that, and the other thing, tried to implement a mandate where the cops would get to interrogate anyone they saw on the streets about why they were there and whether they had a right to be there. They were forced to back off of that because there are genuine cases of overreach and that's one of them. That doesn't mean I have an ounce of sympathy for the "I need a haircut so fuck everyone" brigade or the people who flip out on retail employees and yell "I voted for Trump!" for enforcing mask mandates in their stores.

(The expiry date for the latter strategy has probably arrived by now, but it's not long in the rearview and I, for one, don't plan to forget it. Fuck that worthless, toxic [REDACTING THE REST OF THIS RANT, YOU CAN GUESS AT WHERE IT GOES])
Last edited by NotUv2 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

Amazon
Literotica
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
"ban people who have opinions that they feel will upset most of their base."

Another way of saying "they very reluctantly and selectively enforce their terms of service when the roiling rat-king of Nazi fuckheads on their platform becomes impossible to ignore." Trump should've been banned, on the merits, according to Twitter's rules and terms of service from Day One. They only worked up the guts when it became clear they didn't have to play the odds anymore. Fucking scumbags. People got MURDERED behind that shit. It's STILL HAPPENING.

I don't want any (or at least too much, I guess) of that folded into the conversation about brigading: it's related to a limited extent, but engaging in terror and insurrection plots on your social medias is not remotely the same as comparing a movie to a TV show. (The "sin" of the unnamed party who kicked off this thread, most instances of brigading women off of Twitter or other social media are similarly based on jack shit going back to Gamergate and before it. First couple of times on Twitter I counted Gina Carano in that, too, and I have no regret for supporting her in those instances, lest you think this purely a political thing. It's broader than that.)

Enforcing terms of service designed to protect your community , which is ostensibly why you HAVE terms of service, is a GOOD thing. It's NOT mob justice unless it's primarily motivated by misuse of your reporting system (which absolutely happens, to be fair, and too few social media platforms are equipped to discern the difference, if any). What's so revealing about so many social media platforms is how often they fail to address it unless, and usually after, it leads to disaster and fatal violence.
If Trump should have been banned than Maxine Waters and LeBron should have been banned this week for their comment.

Twitter and Facebook manipulated the coverage of the election to elect Biden, by banning only Trump and his supporters or media that criticized Biden or reported on Hunter.
They lied about being a public utility.
Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

We can't stop Twitter by encouraging people to stop using it.
Twitter provides addictive dopamine hits. A sense of empowerment. It basically uses an exploit in the human operating system that we can't patch.

Twitter is in the league of tobacco and soda pop.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

KnightsofGotham.com wrote:
2 years ago
Femina wrote:
2 years ago
I recently watched a youtube video on a channel belonging to a woman I greatly admire (but have no personal affiliation with) whose been, you guessed it 'cancelled' by twitter...
Same thing happened to me last week.
Then delighted in her 1 hour video about cancel culture.
fun times.
If you watched a one hour video by her on cancel culture, how could she claim to be canceled?

Check out what the Chinese Gov’t did to Fan Bingbing, then come back and explain having Twitter locking out this Woman who could then release an HOUR LONG DIATRIBE on another outlet was being “cancelled”?
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

You can disempower twitter by not only not using it, but by furthermore using other forums such that they become attractive to others (ideally the nicer people) such that they go there instead. Turning those other platforms into twitter but with more words defeats the purpose. Hint hint.

FWIW I view Gamergate in largely a positive light. I view those who rant about it negatively in a negative light, and judge them to have a reduced reasoning capacity, perhaps blinded by strong dislike resulting from consuming media uncritically. They are worthy of sympathy as much as scorn. It is tempting to engage in cathartic name calling, but this isn't twitter!
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Are you talking about the virus that killed more Americans in a single year than every war since the Civil War? Or is it something else I missed?

If you have doubts about the pandemic, go stand in the parking lot of pretty much any hospital and asks the nurses leaving their shift if the pandemic is real. I recommend doing it in a state with tough gun laws (it will reduce the likelihood of you getting killed).
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

And of course its been a half a million and rising deaths WITH the restrictions, albeit half heartedly followed in some areas. How many would it have been without them? Three times that? Four? With hospitals being at breaking point at the current death levels how many would die if and when they got overwhelmed?

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

On a positive note non Covid deaths are now the biggest source of deaths in England and Wales
Wales had no deaths on Thursday and just 53 cases. (we had peaked at around 1600 a day and around 300 deaths. Overall death total for us is now 5640+ and with 1.7m vaccinated of 3m population, and 650,000 having had 2 doses.
It will get a bit worse now the pubs and shops are opening up again, but nothing like what it was.
Pubs are opening indoors on 17 May and whilst I really want to crawl home in the gutter again I will abstain until my second jab. (early June)

NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Twitter and Facebook manipulated the coverage of the election to elect Biden, by banning only Trump and his supporters or media that criticized Biden or reported on Hunter.
Twitter and Facebook extremely reluctantly banned Trump and (some) of the people "reporting on Hunter" because they were spreading outright, bald-faced lies and eventually it became impossible to ignore that the more widely it was known. They banned Trump well after the election while he was trying to steal office by force, so the claim that this was about "manipulating coverage of the election" makes no sense. The election was long over by that point unless you were a Capitol rioter who went to the Hill to try to murder people and reverse it.

It was for much the same reason Greenwald's outfit, the Intercept, was forced to part ways with him. They couldn't let him just concoct Hunter Biden stories out of lies anymore, it was affecting their bottom line. He freaked out and quit on them for doing basic editing and fact-checking. Twitter and FB, meanwhile, did everything they could to fuel conservative media before that point. They waited years to pull the trigger on various obviously toxic figures who later forced to decamp for Parler. They've continued to drag their feet today, they only act when the glare of the public spotlight is turned on them and they can't avoid it. Marjorie Taylor Greene, an openly "America First" racist who spread lies about the Capitol riot, still has a Twitter account and will do so until there's a groundswell of public outrage that forces them to actually enforce their terms of service. Facebook has the freaking Daily Caller on tap as "fact-checkers" and conservative pols on its board, for God's sake.

And really, spare me the faux outrage about Maxine Waters and LeBron James. They spoke an inconvenient truth, they didn't lie about anything. Waters' sin was that it was gauche for her to do so as someone on the Hill, all LeBron did was violate the "keep politics out of sports" norm which is really not an actual thing except from the same people who freak out about Kaepernick taking a knee. Neither of them tried to spread defamatory lies or sabotage the democratic process. Trump did. His followers did. You'll have to get used to just sitting with those being entirely different things. They are.

The social media platforms did lie about being a public utility, of course. That much is true.
Last edited by NotUv2 2 years ago, edited 10 times in total.

Amazon
Literotica
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
FWIW I view Gamergate in largely a positive light.
Good to know. My "reduced reasoning capacity" views it as what it was. Mdom is a kink for me, not actual politics.

Amazon
Literotica
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
ivandobsky wrote:
2 years ago
FWIW I view Gamergate in largely a positive light.
Good to know. My "reduced reasoning capacity" views it as what it was. Mdom is a kink for me, not actual politics.
It's hard to tell sarcasm on the internet. If you are a Poe, well done, you got me. "as what it was" is the setup, the link is the punchline. very funny.

On the off chance that you are a real straw man:
NotUv2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Yes, linking to credible sources that actually have their facts straight is definitely a punchline. You got me.

Amazon
Literotica
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
Twitter and Facebook extremely reluctantly banned Trump and (some) of the people "reporting on Hunter" because they were spreading outright, bald-faced lies and eventually it became impossible to ignore that the more widely it was known. They banned Trump well after the election while he was trying to steal office by force, so the claim that this was about "manipulating coverage of the election" makes no sense. The election was long over by that point unless you were a Capitol rioter who went to the Hill to try to murder people and reverse it.

It was for much the same reason Greenwald's outfit, the Intercept, was forced to part ways with him. They couldn't let him just concoct Hunter Biden stories out of lies anymore, it was affecting their bottom line. He freaked out and quit on them for doing basic editing and fact-checking. Twitter and FB, meanwhile, did everything they could to fuel conservative media before that point. They waited years to pull the trigger on various obviously toxic figures who later forced to decamp for Parler. They've continued to drag their feet today, they only act when the glare of the public spotlight is turned on them and they can't avoid it. Marjorie Taylor Greene, an openly "America First" racist who spread lies about the Capitol riot, still has a Twitter account and will do so until there's a groundswell of public outrage that forces them to actually enforce their terms of service. Facebook has the freaking Daily Caller on tap as "fact-checkers" and conservative pols on its board, for God's sake.

And really, spare me the faux outrage about Maxine Waters and LeBron James. They spoke an inconvenient truth, they didn't lie about anything. Waters' sin was that it was gauche for her to do so as someone on the Hill, all LeBron did was violate the "keep politics out of sports" norm which is really not an actual thing except from the same people who freak out about Kaepernick taking a knee. Neither of them tried to spread defamatory lies or sabotage the democratic process. Trump did. His followers did. You'll have to get used to just sitting with those being entirely different things. They are.

The social media platforms did lie about being a public utility, of course. That much is true.
The Hunter Biden stories were not concotted, Hunter was on the take or do you think he brought value to a Ukraine gas company?

As far as Mad Maxine she has a history of encouraging violence against those who are different. LeBron threatened a white police office

And they are both liars there is no systemic racism in America
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago
NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
2 years ago

The Hunter Biden stories were not concotted, Hunter was on the take or do you think he brought value to a Ukraine gas company?

As far as Mad Maxine she has a history of encouraging violence against those who are different. LeBron threatened a white police office

And they are both liars there is no systemic racism in America
Yeah, I can’t imagine why a Eastern European energy company would want an America corporate lawyer, who had been a bank vice-president and worked for the US commerce department on their board of directors.... it’s not like he had REAL qualification for international commerce, like running slums in NJ or designing handbags made in China.

I do remember all those time Maxine offered to pay the legal fees of her supporters if they beat up people at her rallies.... ANd all those times she encouraged violence against Journalists....

Oh.... wait... never mind...
Damselbinder

agghhh can we not
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yes, I quite agree. I think the original intent of Femina's topic was to shine a light on cancel culture and Twitter's role in that aspect, and not devolve into this left vs right rigamarole.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NotUv2 wrote:
2 years ago
Yes, linking to credible sources that actually have their facts straight is definitely a punchline. You got me.
That's a little dishonest. You cannot simply discard all sources that disagree with your views. Some would argue Huff Po or CNN are not credible. Now I do raise an eyebrow at some sources like RT but that's where cross checking comes in. BTW that very same suspicion on sources is WHY I don't buy into covid claims hook line and sinker. I cross check and YES there are alternative views and facts that disprove other claims. So its unfair to call people "deniers" because they are doing EXACTLY what you're doing and being suspicious about particular news sources.

So irresponsible over reaction to covid would be forcibly shutting down huge swaths of the economy then allowing Walmart, Target etc to stay open putting millions out of work and causing trillions in economic damage. And it did no real good. Covid levels went UP after we locked down and spiked during the MOST lock down and MOST mask compliance. As I stated a few times I will support any legitimate class action lawsuit against any city, state or county government that forcibly shut down businesses past the first 2 months. Newsome should be in prison. Cuomo Should be in prison.

Tim Pool had pointed out a study showing right wingers get 1/3rd of their news from what are considered left wing sources like CNN, mSNBC or Huff Po while left wingers got over 95% of their news ONLY from left wing sources. Most people who identify as left that I know cannot name one alternative news source like a libertarian or anarchist source to cross check their own sources. My guess is you also cannot name one anarchist or libertarian source you routinely visit. And NO they are not right wing.

I don't think you'd want any sources you post to be discarded simply because of where they come from.

Twitter is meaningless. It just shows the very same people who complained about McCarthy era shut downs are now the hypocrites and doing exactly the same thing and YES these people ALSO want government censorship. Look at Great Britain's section 127 law making it illegal to offend someone. HOW THE F*CK do you even define that? Who are the McCarth-ites now?