Did Formicida knock Wonder Woman out?

General discussions about superheroines!
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

So I imagine most of us are familiar with Wonder Woman’s fight with Formicida in the Lynda Carter series. It’s one of only a handful of fights she got into throughout the series with a villain who could actually rival her physically, when Diana first tried attacking her Formicida chucked her across the room. But I’m wondering how people interpret the end of the fight. Formicida tosses Wonder Woman into a bed, Formicida throws a mattress on top of her, and then has her ants do shit. The scene seemingly cuts ahead, as Wonder Woman emerges from the bed and Formicida is nowhere to be seen. This raises the question: was she actually knocked unconscious? She should be able to get out of a mattress in a second. Instead clearly time as passed, the place is too big for Formicida to have gotten out in the timeframe shown. Did Wonder Woman seriously get knocked out by such a goofy villainess In a straight up fight? I can’t think of any other reason why it would have take her so long to get up. Seems she’s not as invincible as she often appears. They never have a proper rematch, so by all accounts, Wonder Woman appears to be the weaker Woman

:ww1:
Attachments
1.png
1.png (1.96 MiB) Viewed 1174 times
2.png
2.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 1174 times
3.png
3.png (1.34 MiB) Viewed 1174 times
4.png
4.png (2.85 MiB) Viewed 1174 times
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mattresses! Wonder Woman's only weakness!
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
She traded in her weakness to chloroform for a weakness to mattresses instead. Didn’t think anyone would actually try to use one against her
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Seriously though, my best guess is Formicida just hit her REALLY hard with it
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD wrote:
1 year ago
So I imagine most of us are familiar with Wonder Woman’s fight with Formicida in the Lynda Carter series. It’s one of only a handful of fights she got into throughout the series with a villain who could actually rival her physically, when Diana first tried attacking her Formicida chucked her across the room. But I’m wondering how people interpret the end of the fight. Formicida tosses Wonder Woman into a bed, Formicida throws a mattress on top of her, and then has her ants do shit. The scene seemingly cuts ahead, as Wonder Woman emerges from the bed and Formicida is nowhere to be seen. This raises the question: was she actually knocked unconscious? She should be able to get out of a mattress in a second. Instead clearly time as passed, the place is too big for Formicida to have gotten out in the timeframe shown. Did Wonder Woman seriously get knocked out by such a goofy villainess In a straight up fight? I can’t think of any other reason why it would have take her so long to get up. Seems she’s not as invincible as she often appears. They never have a proper rematch, so by all accounts, Wonder Woman appears to be the weaker Woman

:ww1:
Forgot to mention: Wonder Woman has a real “what happened?” Type expression when she got up, which further indicated to me that she was seriously out of it
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
The Sandman's gang used them to take out Batman, too. These things can really put you to sleep.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I don’t know if she knocked Wonder Woman out, but she definitely got the better of her.
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

IMSancho wrote:
1 year ago
I don’t know if she knocked Wonder Woman out, but she definitely got the better of her.
It does seem kinda silly, but the only other possibility is that Wonder Woman was stuck under the mattress, which seems even more absurd. Either way, the only 1-v -1 fight in the series where Wonder Woman was defeated, And she was defeated by another woman
:lynda1:
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

IMSancho wrote:
1 year ago
Formicida proved to be more than a match for WW. Too bad there wasn't a return match. Another missed opportunity here.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
IMSancho wrote:
1 year ago
Formicida proved to be more than a match for WW. Too bad there wasn't a return match. Another missed opportunity here.
As nice as that would have been, Wonder Woman losing a fight against an opponent she never defeats is, for me at least, pretty great. Realistically, Wonder Woman would have probably won a rematch, being the protagonist and all.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
The Sandman's gang used them to take out Batman, too. These things can really put you to sleep.

On Deviant Art there’s a story where Catwoman’s henchmen defeat our own Batgirl1969 the same way.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Is it it my imagination, or is she in blackface? I remember having straight black hair and a very pale complexion.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

IMSancho wrote:
1 year ago
Visitor wrote:
1 year ago
Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago

On Deviant Art there’s a story where Catwoman’s henchmen defeat our own Batgirl1969 the same way.

What A great time that was too!!!
KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD
Henchman
Henchman

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Is it it my imagination, or is she in blackface? I remember having straight black hair and a very pale complexion.
Nah, that was her natural skin tone (she has passed sadly). She might have been mixed race, not sure. She was a pretty accomplished person, known for being a part of a mime-and-dance comedy duo of all things. Pretty neat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shields_and_Yarnell
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

KOJIMAISGODKOJIMAISGOD wrote:
1 year ago
sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
Nah, that was her natural skin tone (she has passed sadly). She might have been mixed race, not sure. She was a pretty accomplished person, known for being a part of a mime-and-dance comedy duo of all things. Pretty neat. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shields_and_Yarnell
Back in the 70s they had a variety show that I used to enjoy watching. Variety shows were quite popular then.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
They seem to have been going for a Jekyll and Hyde type transformation when she turned into Formicida, so she wears a curly wig, puts on a sexy leotard, and gets a heavy coat of spray tan. I wouldn't call it blackface, though. The makeup isn't that dark, and there are no pantomime racial aspects to it. She acts more coked-up than anything else.