Darna (ABS-CBN, 2022)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
In contrast, in order to see She-Hulk, we have to deal with a show that tries to be both a courtroom drama (Ally McBeal) and a romantic comedy (Sex and the City) as well as steadily delivering mini-diatribes which break immersion. For now, at least, I'll go with the soap opera.
She Hulk also has superior fight choreography, cinematography, special effects, scripting... consistent costume design that isn't changing from cut to cut... but if you prefer the show that will no doubt have some powerful 'stepped into an empty elevator shaft' related character deaths down the line, more power too you... but I reserve the right to find it amusing nevertheless.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
And somehow, Narda manages to sneak away without the bad guy noticing, even though he clearly notices her moving towards the heart attack victim?
To be fair, the second time Narda moved she was closer towards the edge of the room rather than directly in the bomber's line of sight. And Regina was in the middle of the room distracting everyone.
This city of Nueva Esperanza is also going to need its own version of Marvel's Damage Control (who I believe will be appearing in She-Hulk, right?).
She clearly smashes a large hole in the ceiling of the mall and then flies back out of it twice. I mean, it's way better than a large explosion in the mall, but still, someone's gotta cover those expenses, right? Maybe bring Erin Esurance out of retirement.
Same building contractors as Supergirl uses whenever she smashes out of the roof of the Catco building via the elevator. It's called "Danvers Decorations and Repairs Ltd.", run by someone called K. Danvers. Very reasonably priced, and discretion guaranteed. No awkward questions about discarded clothing and glasses, or laser burns on the walls. The same owner also has a side business hacking into and wiping CCTV systems, no questions asked. :laugh:

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago
In contrast, in order to see She-Hulk, we have to deal with a show that tries to be both a courtroom drama (Ally McBeal) and a romantic comedy (Sex and the City) as well as steadily delivering mini-diatribes which break immersion. For now, at least, I'll go with the soap opera.
She Hulk also has superior fight choreography, cinematography, special effects, scripting... consistent costume design that isn't changing from cut to cut... but if you prefer the show that will no doubt have some powerful 'stepped into an empty elevator shaft' related character deaths down the line, more power too you... but I reserve the right to find it amusing nevertheless.

This is a Superheroine fetish site after all. And corny storylines aside, the chances of seeing superheroine peril in this show are probably 5 to 10x more than in standard Hollywood shows nowadays.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
Femina wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago

This is a Superheroine fetish site after all. And corny storylines aside, the chances of seeing superheroine peril in this show are probably 5 to 10x more than in standard Hollywood shows nowadays.
If you say so. There was precicely 0 real peril in the original Darna show. Seeing as how the action scenes in this show seem to just be quick cuts of Darna superspeed punching folk inbetween visible slides I don't consider it of much substance. It's pretty low quality stuff from what I've seen. Which is a shame cause I really like Darna's overall design just point blank from the olden days to now, and would love to see her in something substantial, but IMO this ain't it, and the 'oooh'ing and 'awwww'ing over it amuses me.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I believe the explanation you're looking for lies somewhere between "whatever floats your boat" and "different strokes for different folks". Pretty sure some would also be "amused" at some of the things that interest you as well, to state the obvious. :D

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
If you say so. There was precicely 0 real peril in the original Darna show. Seeing as how the action scenes in this show seem to just be quick cuts of Darna superspeed punching folk inbetween visible slides I don't consider it of much substance. It's pretty low quality stuff from what I've seen. Which is a shame cause I really like Darna's overall design just point blank from the olden days to now, and would love to see her in something substantial, but IMO this ain't it, and the 'oooh'ing and 'awwww'ing over it amuses me.
Interesting. What amuses me is people who claim to be disinterested in something, but then can't stop posting about the thing they claim to be disinterested in. No genuinely I find such behaviour both baffling and curiously amusing.

I mean if someone says they don't like something, and why, that's fine. And if someone debates something's relative merits and failings, well that's fine too. But for someone to repeated participate in a discussion where their contribution is mostly related to telling other people that they think it amusing that other people have a different opinion to their own... well.. that's kinda funny. I guess you could be forgiven for posting that kinda thing once -- but expending the effort to post repeated messages about how you can't get your head around the fact that someone else on the internet has a different opinion to your own about something is very funny (funny peculiar, not funny ha ha.)

And if said someone was posting on a forum or thread that was specifically dedicated to an interest in a given topic, why would they find it amusing that participants had an interest in the topic? Why is that worthy of incredulity to the point of amusement? And why is it worthy of needing to be repeatedly pointed out..?

That would be like repeatedly turning up at your local cinema every Friday night, buying a ticket, then standing up every ten minutes during the movie to laugh at the audience because they like watching movies when you think playing video games is a much better way to spend your Friday nights!

:laugh:

R5
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
1 year ago

That would be like repeatedly turning up at your local cinema every Friday night, buying a ticket, then standing up every ten minutes during the movie to laugh at the audience because they like watching movies when you think playing video games is a much better way to spend your Friday nights!
Or living in America and complaining about how bad it is? :giggle:
Damselbinder

Y'all are badly overestimating how much effort it takes to make a post on this forum
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
Femina wrote:
1 year ago
Interesting. What amuses me is people who claim to be disinterested in something, but then can't stop posting about the thing they claim to be disinterested in. No genuinely I find such behaviour both baffling and curiously amusing.

I mean if someone says they don't like something, and why, that's fine. And if someone debates something's relative merits and failings, well that's fine too. But for someone to repeated participate in a discussion where their contribution is mostly related to telling other people that they think it amusing that other people have a different opinion to their own... well.. that's kinda funny. I guess you could be forgiven for posting that kinda thing once -- but expending the effort to post repeated messages about how you can't get your head around the fact that someone else on the internet has a different opinion to your own about something is very funny (funny peculiar, not funny ha ha.)

And if said someone was posting on a forum or thread that was specifically dedicated to an interest in a given topic, why would they find it amusing that participants had an interest in the topic? Why is that worthy of incredulity to the point of amusement? And why is it worthy of needing to be repeatedly pointed out..?

:laugh:

R5
This amuses me as well.

Hands Five dollars to the Clerk for admission
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

So nobody is going to comment on Valentina's intro..?

They're setting up an interesting dynamic between Narda, Darna, Regina, and Valentina. I mean we're used to the usual superhero two person love triangle (Clark/Lois/Superman, or Diana/Steve/Wonder Woman), but now we have a quadrilateral frenemy situation with two people and four identities. This could be good, if they find a way to make it work as a slow burn background arc that sits behind the immediate storyline/villain of the week. But I'll be very disappointed if they treat it as a foreground story and get the whole thing over in just five episodes.

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
So nobody is going to comment on Valentina's intro..?

They're setting up an interesting dynamic between Narda, Darna, Regina, and Valentina. I mean we're used to the usual superhero two person love triangle (Clark/Lois/Superman, or Diana/Steve/Wonder Woman), but now we have a quadrilateral frenemy situation with two people and four identities. This could be good, if they find a way to make it work as a slow burn background arc that sits behind the immediate storyline/villain of the week. But I'll be very disappointed if they treat it as a foreground story and get the whole thing over in just five episodes.

R5
Hey, give us a bit of time - the episode is marked as "Sept 1" (at least, where I'm watching it) and it's still Sept 1 :)

The quadrilateral identity thing has been done before - most recently with Miraculous Ladybug / Marinette and Chat Noir / Adrian.
Although this is obviously a different vibe.

Valentina's debut was OK. I'm not sure what her costume will look like yet (she just wore a loose garment here), and it's interesting that she is not
quite as sexy when she is Valentina (a bit repulsive, really). The snake action was good, though - and as usual I'm learning lots of Tagalog: the phrase "babaeng ahas" (snake girl) was used multiple times in the episode. I'm gonna be injecting a bit of this into our Naga character Serpenta in the future.

But I do have a question: how and why, exactly, did Regina become Valentina? Was she affected by a green stone shard like the Extras? Is it a power that is passed down genetically or magically through her family? All I saw was that she became angry that her brother killed Portacio instead of just serving him 'justice', and then she retreated upstairs to her room and underwent the transformation. But I don't quite understand why...was it simply the anger that did it? Also, if she was so disappointed that Portacio was killed, why did Valentina commit murder on the thug? Or is her alter-ego just simply out of control and vengeful? Hopefully we get more explanation soon about all of this. And hopefully a nice tight costume for our new supervillainess.

In any case, don't miss Episode 14!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago

But I do have a question: how and why, exactly, did Regina become Valentina? Was she affected by a green stone shard like the Extras? Is it a power that is passed down genetically or magically through her family? All I saw was that she became angry that her brother killed Portacio instead of just serving him 'justice', and then she retreated upstairs to her room and underwent the transformation. But I don't quite understand why...was it simply the anger that did it?
If I'm not mistaken, she was the girl by the campfire who got hit by the green shard thingy from the cyborg during the first episode.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
The quadrilateral identity thing has been done before - most recently with Miraculous Ladybug / Marinette and Chat Noir / Adrian.
Although this is obviously a different vibe.
True. That slipped my mind.
Valentina's debut was OK. I'm not sure what her costume will look like yet (she just wore a loose garment here), and it's interesting that she is not quite as sexy when she is Valentina (a bit repulsive, really).
Janella Salvador tweeted yesterday:
"Special announcement for the vadengs: That wasn’t V’s final costume. Don’t worry. We gotchu".

So it seems like Vanentina's look may be subject to some degree of evolution as the series goes on.

R5
shevek
Producer
Producer

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago

But I do have a question: how and why, exactly, did Regina become Valentina?

If I'm not mistaken, she was the girl by the campfire who got hit by the green shard thingy from the cyborg during the first episode.
Oh man, I forgot all about that, and I even took note of it when it happened, saying that this girl is going to become Valentina.
My bad!

I guess my new question now is what was a successful and powerful anti-corruption lawyer (is she a state lawyer? if not, who hires her to go after corruption?) and community activist like Regina Vanguardia (since back then, they hadn't introduced her character yet) doing camping all by herself
in the middle of nowhere? :)

And yes, Janella Salvador's Twitter is fun!
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
shevek wrote:
1 year ago

But I do have a question: how and why, exactly, did Regina become Valentina? Was she affected by a green stone shard like the Extras? Is it a power that is passed down genetically or magically through her family? All I saw was that she became angry that her brother killed Portacio instead of just serving him 'justice', and then she retreated upstairs to her room and underwent the transformation. But I don't quite understand why...was it simply the anger that did it?
Wasn't there an unidentified guy with her also hit by the green stuff (maybe her dad?) ? I bet that will be some sort of twist.

It's already pretty obvious imo Valentina will have a redemption arc and probably fight alongside Darna against the aliens; unless they go an unpredictable route which I doubt.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Aaaand..another week of Darna ends on a great cliffhanger. (Looks like the ratings are holding steady at around 9% of the Filipino viewing audience.)

Narda's in peril, knocked out by thugs and imprisoned in a cell with sex-trafficking victims. (she's on the left, for those who haven't been watching)
How's she going to get out of this one...even with the help of her budding boyfriend cop Brian Robles?
narda as sex trafficking victim.jpg
narda as sex trafficking victim.jpg (76.6 KiB) Viewed 17132 times
Lots of talk again...on the streets... on the news...in the police station..about 'babaeng ahas' so you know the city is worried about the snake-woman.
When will Regina go over the edge and turn into Valentina again? Do we see more of the sexy alien leader in black?

Find out next week on...Darna!
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Random stuff I noticed while watching Mars Ravelo's Flying Woman:
  • There's a large stuffed dog next to the front door in the Custodio home, which is a bit random.
  • When Valentina attacks the blackmailer, there's a billboard for cigarettes on the side of the building openly advocating that smokers don't quit smoking. (Culture shock!)
  • The townsfolk of Nueva Esperanza lack imagination. They see a flying woman and they christen her "Flying Woman"; they see a woman with snakes for hair and they christen her "Snake Woman".
  • The Spice Girls are still a thing in the Nueva Esperanza, apparently.
  • Regina's father spends all day sitting at his desk starring at an iPad screen, yet is too miserly to buy a proper stand so has to permanently hold it in his hands.
  • The mayor seems to be a fan of the Easter Island statues.
  • When Darna flies in through the restroom window, the CGI people were incapable of making the flying effect look good, but somehow managed to accurately render all the reflections of Darna in the mirrors and tiles.
  • When the black-clad woman and the prune-faced alien (General Borgo?) talk in the spaceship, they seem to suggest that Prune-Face had manufactured the suicide bombing incident at the shopping mall to force the new Stonekeeper (Narda) to reveal herself. But we saw earlier that it was Ali (Regina's PA) who encouraged Roger to do what he did. Is Roger in league with the aliens? Is he an alien? And where did Roger get the suicide vest at such short notice -- does Nueva Esperanza have a shop that sells them?
  • Regina plots all the appearances of Darna and notices that they all centre around her foundation building. She surmises that the Flying Woman must therefore work at her building. But we can see out of Regina's office window that there are plenty of other large office buildings near by. How does Regina know Darna doesn't work next door?
  • Given that pretty much every resident seems to spend all day watching live video streams on their phones and tablets, Nueva Esperanza must have really fantastic 5G internet coverage.
  • Ali decides that the best way to find out who the Flying Woman really is, is to break into the women's locker room and rummage through their belongings. What did he expect to find, a spare Darna costume hanging up? (Can't help thinking he was just looking for any excuse to go through the contents of women's lockers.)
  • Got to admire the police buddy of Brian's who concludes that the Flying Woman must be brave, because she fights crime wearing only her underwear! The Nueva Esperanza police may be corrupt, but you can't fault their logic..!
R5
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

The citizens of Nueva Esperanza managed to think of a monicker for an Extra but can't seem to think of a better one for Darna, lol.

Granted, "Killer Ghost" is not exactly witty, but surely it's more creative than "Babaeng Lumilipad (Flying Woman)". 😅

I hope they start calling her Darna soon. 😁

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
The citizens of Nueva Esperanza managed to think of a monicker for an Extra but can't seem to think of a better one for Darna, lol.

Granted, "Killer Ghost" is not exactly witty, but surely it's more creative than "Babaeng Lumilipad (Flying Woman)". 😅

It's all very route one and very literal, isn't it. They see a flying woman, and she's Flying Woman. They see a woman with snakes for hair, and she's Snake Woman. A guy who can phase through things like a ghost and kills is Killer Ghost. One wonders what they would have done with other popular other comicbook characters..?
  • Wonder Woman is Eagle Woman.
  • Supergirl is Red Cape GIrl.
  • She Hulk is Green Giantess.
  • Black Scorpion is The Ponytail Heroine.
  • Killer Front is Goth Woman.
  • Stargirl is Curly Haired Stick Girl.
R5
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

We are at episode 20 and still no major darna - supervillain fight and/or peril. Only some minor villains. The teaser for next week also doesn't show any major action happening. They are definitely taking the slow build-up approach which I don't mind :yes: I guess the total episode count could be something between 60-80 episodes.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
brdiy wrote:
1 year ago

It's all very route one and very literal, isn't it. They see a flying woman, and she's Flying Woman. They see a woman with snakes for hair, and she's Snake Woman. A guy who can phase through things like a ghost and kills is Killer Ghost. One wonders what they would have done with other popular other comicbook characters..?
R5
It’s probably a quirk of the language. German tends to be pretty unimaginative in coming up with new words, too. Airplane is Fleugzeug, which translates to “flying thing”. Aircraft hanger is Fleugzeughalle or “flying thing hall”. This may be why the Germans make great engineers and crappy stand up comics….
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
We are at episode 20 and still no major darna - supervillain fight and/or peril. Only some minor villains. The teaser for next week also doesn't show any major action happening. They are definitely taking the slow build-up approach which I don't mind :yes: I guess the total episode count could be something between 60-80 episodes.
It's a soap opera? Or if it jives with you better a 'telenovela'.... one that just happens to be about a superheroine. This is the NORM I promise you.
shevek
Producer
Producer

sneakly wrote:
1 year ago
five_red wrote:
1 year ago
brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
  • Wonder Woman is Eagle Woman
R5
It’s probably a quirk of the language. German tends to be pretty unimaginative in coming up with new words, too. Airplane is Fleugzeug, which translates to “flying thing”. Aircraft hanger is Fleugzeughalle or “flying thing hall”. This may be why the Germans make great engineers and crappy stand up comics….
That list above (Killer Frost should probably be "Cold Woman") reminds me of the menu from a kawaii Asian food mart.
I'll have the Green Giantess bento box, and some Curly Haired Stick Girl pockys for dessert later, thank you.

But if even if the naming convention is somewhat stitled, some other cultural differences are quite refreshing.
Not only do we get an unapologetic (as the kids say) superheroine in a tight, shapely costume, but we also get the regular kinds of relationships
you saw in TV shows in the 90s, which have often disappeared or been overwhelmed in recent postmodern Western TV.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
What is quite interesting is that they've clearly planned a fair bit of the plot out in advance, in some detail. In episode 19 we finally get the explanation behind why Brian was attacked as a kid in episode 1. It seemed like a throw away excuse back in the opening episode to introduce Narda to Brian, but it was clearly planned as a set-up for 19 when we learn more about Brain's father and his relationship with the mayor. One wishes the CW writers had spent half as much time planning out their seasons as the Darna team.

Other random things I've noticed this week: (1) Narda spends all her time with her best friend in the pilot episode, but then doesn't speak to her again after that (outside of filming the fashion videos.) Narda often turns up at the cafe that her friend hangs out at, yet they don't talk. (2) Brian asks Darna how she knows his name during her visit to his home. This confused me because Darna hadn't used his name during the scene. But this was a reference from two episodes prior when Darna discovered Brian wandering through the warehouse. Another example of a seemingly tiny detail that the writers had planted for future reference. (3) The stuffed dog from next to Narda's front door has mysteriously vanished! Was he General Bongo in disguise? (4) Alex, secretly the Killer Ghost, claims he has to leave immediately for a meeting, walks a few steps down the corridors then turns around and glowers at Brian for ages -- and nobody reacts. I get that this is supposed to clue the audience in to Brian being on the Killer Ghost's hit list, but it was a bit unsubtle. (5) We finally get a plausible excuse as to why Narda's name is an anagram of Darna.

There's been talk that the show will feature some of Darna's classic foes, yet so far we've just has Extras. One possibility therefore is that the Extra/General Borgo storyline is not intended to run for the entire series, but is just the first chapter. If this is indeed the case (and' we'll know soon enough if we see signs that the Borgo story is coming to a head) then the show is probably going for a very long run, with multiple chapters of several weeks each, with each chapter having its own major villain, and probably Valentina as the central villain of the finale showdown chapter.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
brdiy wrote:
1 year ago

R5
On the other hand...

Guy who dresses up like a bat is Batman
Guy dresses up as spider ( with webs to boot) is Spiderman

😁😁😁

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
On the other hand...

Guy who dresses up like a bat is Batman
Guy dresses up as spider ( with webs to boot) is Spiderman

😁😁😁
But... Invisible Woman becomes Girl With No Name Because We Can't See What She Looks Like. :laugh:

Regarding the identity of Borgo -- fan theory:
Spoiler
When Regina is infected in episode one, the man she is with (presumably her father) was hit on the head by a piece of metal from the cyborg after Darna punched it. It wouldn't surprise me if Regina's father died on that night, and since then he has secretly been General Borgo in disguise, shaping her path towards becoming Valentina. Reason: her father seems to know far too much about what is going to happen to his daughter. This mean's that Darna (the original) was accidentally responsible for Regina's true father dying, which might be an interesting way to amplify her hatred of Darna.

R5
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Episodes 1 to 20, screen cap gallery of Narda, Darna, Regina, Valentina, etc. 218 images.

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

Image Image Image

And a couple of goofy ones, to show even evil super villains have their funny side...

R5
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

I read more and more complaints from Philippine viewers (who are used to the telenovela format) that the show is too much of love triangle and police mystery show and not enough of a superheroine one. I tend to agree right now; even the male cop is getting more action than Darna lol. I think the second part of the show will see more of the classic superheroine stuff.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
I read more and more complaints from Philippine viewers (who are used to the telenovela format) that the show is too much of love triangle and police mystery show and not enough of a superheroine one. I tend to agree right now; even the male cop is getting more action than Darna lol. I think the second part of the show will see more of the classic superheroine stuff.
Usually when these shows go quite for a few days it is because they are saving up for a big set piece. It is possible the General Borgo storyline is coming to a head, which will end the first chapter -- assuming the show is operating on the chapter model.

All we can do is keep patient and see what unfolds.

True, it is disappointing when you watch an episode only to realise there's no Darna in it (like what happened this past Monday), but remember we get five chances a week. And yes, most action sequences when they happen are on a par with the 70s Wonder Woman (heroine throws the bad guys around a bit), but there's nothing wrong with that if you're a fan of classic superheroine tv.

Besides, some of the soapy stuff is actually quite funny. One little gem is the scene when Darna turns up at Brian's apartment unannounced in the middle of the night. You gotta feel for the guy -- he acted how most of us would if a glamorous superheroine decided to suddenly invite herself in as a house guest.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Having a show that's on daily, I'm guessing they're trying to save some money by limiting the action scenes which would require CGI. Of course the risk is that those who watch to see superhero action might get gradually turned-off by the cutesy rom-com that we are getting now, so the show runners better find the right balance.

Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
Having a show that's on daily, I'm guessing they're trying to save some money by limiting the action scenes which would require CGI. Of course the risk is that those who watch to see superhero action might get gradually turned-off by the cutesy rom-com that we are getting now, so the show runners better find the right balance.
I don't mind the romcom stuff but when the male sidekick gets a longer fight scene than the actual titular heroine has ever gotten I think there is something wrong with the balance. Of course it all depends on the total episode count. If there are 80-100 episodes total there is still plenty of time to give Darna multiple big action set-pieces. But if there are only 50-60 episodes and we are already at 22 episodes it might become troublesome.
Last edited by Supergirl763 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
It isn't just the CGI cost. Action sequences take a lot of time to choreograph and rehearse. Thanks to the budget not stretching to cloning technology, there's only one Jane De Leon.

This is why I've noticed there's a tendency in these types of shows to introduce supporting sidekick superheroes as time goes on. Krystala built up a small team of superheroes around her by the end of her run. Saras acquired a male sidekick in her third season (and it should be noted the heroine and her alter ego were always played by separate actors.) Even Super Ma'am turned some of her school pupils into a super-team with limited powers. I don't think the 2005 or 2009 Darna series did this, however. But there's the opportunity that some of the Extras may become allies of Darna, allowing the show to have action sequences that don't involve Jane. Hell, they may even decide to subvert the narrative and turn Valentina into a kind-of tragic heroine (it wouldn't be the first time!)

The first two weeks were particularly strong, as it set up a lot of questions and mysteries in quick succession. The show has definitely slowed down since then, and the last couple of episodes have felt like treading water, but I'm hoping they are just buying time for something big.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I believe the original plan for this was to make a movie. Not sure if the onset of the pandemic made them decide to do a series instead. Probably they already had the beginnings of a story in mind, then with the shift to a daily series, they had to do lots of fillers in between. Anyway, I'm just hoping this show finds its footing soon before people lose interest. I hear the other major show in the same timeslot in the Philippines is about a giant crocodile or something :), so they just need to show more of Darna in action and they should be good.
five_red wrote:
1 year ago

I don't think the 2005 or 2009 Darna series did this, however.
2005 Darna did introduce a couple of superpowered kids, but they were dropped after a few weeks or so, I'm guessing because they weren't so well received by the audience then.

shevek
Producer
Producer

"Superpowered kids"? Every time I see that phrase, it reminds me of Galactica 1980. :) Or maybe, Power Pack.
One thing I'm sure of, unless they look as good as, say, Phoebe Thunderman, I'll thank them to stay out of my superhero shows.
(That was one good thing about the CW-Verse; they didn't stoop to that.)

As for the comparative lack of Darna - all she does in EPs 21-23 is fly in to save him, with no fights or action - I understand that's slightly disappointing, but let's look on the bright side:

- At least we get some nice costume shots of her flying with Brian, and her in the hospital. And the publicizing of her actual name, "Darna", is a nice (and long-awaited) revelation, so we can stop hearing the phrase Babaeng Lumilipad at long last. The crowd keeps repeating how pretty she is - you're not going to see anyone saying things like that on American TV.

- We also see her deep emotion for Brian. She cradles him as if she loves him, as if she wants to kiss him while flying through the air. She displays her emotional concern for him in the hospital; there's no hiding it. And she expresses her extreme admiration for him to her family, as a "superman". She is even unsure about the use of her powers, while she praises him for always being sure of himself. She sees him a role model.

I would like to point out that this is the EXACT OPPOSITE of most superhero, sci-fi and fantasy comics and films in Hollywood right now. And it is incredibly refreshing. This allows the opportunity to develop the Narda/Darna character slowly and gradually from being unsure of herself to a powerful, confident and strong heroine, motivated by the heroism of both a man (Brian) and a woman (her mother), and challenged by continuous real threats which are characterized as truly evil. Hollywood showrunners today mostly don't know how to create a Hero's Journey, let alone to display equality of power and purpose between men and women onscreen (remember the 90s?). But Chito Rono does, and thank God for him.

- At least we get a strenuous fight between Xandra and Hergis. With Xandra, it's nice to have a third beautiful and sexy female appear regularly on the program, and she is shown as being powerful and ruthless. I didn't know that all three of them (including Borgo) were shapeshifters. I guess that's a power of all of the aliens from their planet (I'm not sure if they're also from Marte, or if they just want to take over Marte), so they're pretty much like the Durlans of DC (Chameleon Boy's race, who show up several times in Supergirl including in the person of none other than Lynda Carter!!).

- Also, in Episode 22, we get a short "komiks" segment flashback to the Martean World, with a beautiful rendition of Zora as Darna, traveling with her baby in the spaceship to Earth (a very un-Kryptonian thing to do). After seeing the name of famed Pinoy artist Leeroy New in the credits every night, it's great that they gave him something substantial to draw.

I do have one concern, though: until about a week ago, all of the Darna episodes were listed on the main Wikipedia page of the show, and each of them had a short plot synopsis. Since then, someone has eliminated that, and placed all of the episode listings on a separate page. But all of the
plot synopses are gone! Also, the only link from that main page to the episode page is a tiny one next to "No. of Episodes" in the information box on the right. If you didn't notice that was there, you'd have *no way* to link from the main page to the episode page!

Series page which formerly had the plot summaries on it, but now just has that very small link:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darna_(2022_TV_series)

Episodes page with no plot summaries: (but somehow instead makes sure to list a Twitter hashtag for every episode)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_M ... )_episodes

Does anyone have any clue why they would delete such information?

Loving the slow but steady progression of this show!
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

shevek wrote:
1 year ago
- At least we get some nice costume shots of her flying with Brian, and her in the hospital. And the publicizing of her actual name, "Darna", is a nice (and long-awaited) revelation, so we can stop hearing the phrase Babaeng Lumilipad at long last. The crowd keeps repeating how pretty she is - you're not going to see anyone saying things like that on American TV.
Good. Now at least Snake Woman, Killer Ghost, Prune Faced Alien, Black Catsuit Girl, and Mayor With Goatee will know what to call her.
Does anyone have any clue why they would delete such information?
You can look up the edit history for the page from the tabs at the top. At 14:37, 5 September 2022‎ user Loibird90 submitted an edit with the comment: "the short summary has been removed because it violates the copyright infringement policy "

R5
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

The female alien (Kim Rodriguez) is ridiculously hot in her leather costume. Out of her and Darna I don't know which one I find the most attractive but I am hoping for a catfight between them lol.

Now that she and general Borgo are also shapeshifters I am going to bet either Regina's dad or colleague is one of them as their plan is to manipulate the extras to test Darna (and an unidentified male companion of Regina died in the first episode even though it was never brought up again).
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
Now that she and general Borgo are also shapeshifters I am going to bet either Regina's dad or colleague is one of them as their plan is to manipulate the extras to test Darna (and an unidentified male companion of Regina died in the first episode even though it was never brought up again).
My early thoughts were that Ali (Regina's PA) was one of the aliens, if only because General Borgo claimed he manufactured the incident at the shopping mall to flush out the stone keeper, and we saw Ali talk the suicide bomber into threatening the mall. But now I'm wondering if Regina's father died and was replace by an alien, perhaps even Borgo himself. Her father does seem to know a little too much about the whole Regina/Valentina thing.

One little bit I liked, to pick up on shevek's comments above, was how the crowd at the hospital kept telling Darna how beautiful she is, and then paid no attention to Narda a few moments later when she walks through the same corridor.

R5
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
My early thoughts were that Ali (Regina's PA) was one of the aliens, if only because General Borgo claimed he manufactured the incident at the shopping mall to flush out the stone keeper, and we saw Ali talk the suicide bomber into threatening the mall. But now I'm wondering if Regina's father died and was replace by an alien, perhaps even Borgo himself. Her father does seem to know a little too much about the whole Regina/Valentina thing.

R5
I was wrong the person who died or got wounded isn't unidentified but is Regina's dad; which is weird because he doesn't look like the same actor. Unless the woman there isn't Regina but I thought it was confirmed it was her. Either way her dad is very likely an alien.
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Something else that occurred to me regarding the number of action sequences...

The show began filming in September 2021, and carries a notice at the start of each episode saying that it complies with government Covid 19 restrictions. This explains why episodes seem to be almost entirely shot in or around the ABS-CBN Soundstage complex in San Jose del Monte, with almost no location shooting (one exception being the shopping mall incident), unlike the 2005 and 2009 series and other shows like Super Ma'am that used extensive location filming. I wonder if the long period between the cameras rolling and the first episode being broadcast may have been to factor in delays for quarantines when actors left or joined the studio social bubble(?)

Anyway, to the point: as we've seen from the CW shows, heroes that do a lot of hand-to-hand combat are problematic when you're under pandemic restrictions. The final season of Supergirl apparently had a lot of heroes and villains standing at opposite ends of a room shouting at each other. Possibly the restrictions the Philippines were still under during the filming of these early episodes forced the producers into diluting the action with romance. If this is the case, hopefully as time goes on and vaccinations ease the situation, the action/inaction ratio will get better. (That said, I've no idea what the current situation is in The Philippines regarding vaccinations and Covid restrictions.)

Just a thought.

R5
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I'm mostly just browsing through the episodes right now but did I get it correctly that Gen Borgo actually thought that Darna was responsible for the death of Killer Ghost? Where does he get his news? Lol

shevek
Producer
Producer

OK, we've got some nice stuff in one of the last two episodes of this week: Episode 24. It's worth watching if you're skipping through the show.

In Episode 24:
- Food vendor-turned-amateur-scientist shows Darna the spaceship her mother came in.
She's in costume while that happens, so we get some nice shots of Darna.

-There's the longest Leeroy New "Martean world" komiks sequence yet, as we see a flashback of General Borgo trying to destroy (conquer?) Planet Marte, and Zora getting away in the spaceship with her baby daughter. Great powerful drawings of Darna by Mr. New!

- There's finally a bit more peril, even though it's just in a dream.
Narda dreams of herself, as Darna, being throatlifted and choked by a villain in a hood who is probably General Borgo.
Regina also has a dream of herself being unleashed as Valentina - she wakes up sweaty in a cute nightie.

Absolutely nothing happened in Episode 25. There was more eating of food than there was anything else, really.

Next week we look forward to the next great Extra villain: Guy In Fisherman Hat Who Copies Himself! Can't wait. :)

But seriously, those who are noting the lovely women have neglected to mention Mayor Zaldy's sexy aide-de-camp Maisha (played by Dawn Chang).
Hopefully, she becomes an Extra at some point, and we see some alluring supervillainy from her. (Just hoping for it).
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

With Borgo's plan to 'release' the Extras first before confronting her we'll have to wait for an Extra that can actually pose a physical challenge to Darna and make for some good prolonged fights. The problem with all Extras we had till now is that they were just some thugs who happened to have a special power but weren't really a threat to Darna. I mean the hardest part for her was to locate them. The first Extra was just some stronger than usual human who Narda was able to hold back without the stone. The second Extra could cause earthquakes but was a good guy. The third one could go between walls but was physically useless against Darna. And the latest Extra can multiply but again isn't a physical threat. My guess is each Extra will be a stepping stone from the previous one and pose a bigger treat to Darna until we get some supervillain Extras like Valentina and some others that got showed during the first week teaser. Borgo is searching for her weak point. Does she have some Kryptonite-like weak spots or will they go with the usual 'Brian is her weak spot' ?
shevek
Producer
Producer

Supergirl763 wrote:
1 year ago
My guess is each Extra will be a stepping stone from the previous one and pose a bigger treat to Darna until we get some supervillain Extras like Valentina and some others that got showed during the first week teaser. Borgo is searching for her weak point. Does she have some Kryptonite-like weak spots or will they go with the usual 'Brian is her weak spot' ?
I just realized (and I think Ladybug fans will back me up on this) how similar this concept is to the weekly "Akumatizing" that happens on the Miraculous Ladybug show, when instead of just confronting Ladybug and Chat Noir, the reclusive Hawkmoth sends minion after superpowered minion after them, in a futile attempt to get their Miraculous item (similar to learning Darna's secrets and getting her stone). And all of these minions have some kind of resentful feeling or grudge, similar to the people who become the Extras. Only difference is that Darna kills them instead of returning them to their civilan non-superpowered state. Which I suppose is somewhat harsh for a show that is supposedly watched by kids, but I would imagine that the Philippines might have a different sensibility to the United States, where our children are probably a bit more coddled.
CJS
Henchman
Henchman

shzam wrote:
1 year ago
It's actually on the official Youtube channel though you need a VPN to show your in the Phillipines (that's not considered illegal/against forum rules right)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpuuNgM ... aMuex8L9ge
Can anyone confirm if it is still available on YouTube, if you can set your location as being in the Philippines? Thanks!
Sapphire Angel - Superheroine
Book 1 — Superheroine (complete)
Book 2 — Power Play (complete)
Book 3 — Deconstruction (complete)
Book 4 — Savage Dawn (complete)
Book 5 — Savage Vengeance (coming January 2024)
five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

CJS wrote:
1 year ago
shzam wrote:
1 year ago
It's actually on the official Youtube channel though you need a VPN to show your in the Phillipines (that's not considered illegal/against forum rules right)?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpuuNgM ... aMuex8L9ge
Can anyone confirm if it is still available on YouTube, if you can set your location as being in the Philippines? Thanks!
I've not checked using a VPN or proxy, but people on the show's Facebook group were complaining that the episodes are removed from YT a few weeks after broadcast. They are all available via iWantTFC, without region lock, but you'll have to pay. The service uses DRM however, so make sure your device can handle copy-protected videos. I think the iWantTFC streaming service is the only legal way to see the all episodes as a collection, no matter where you are in the world.

R5
CJS
Henchman
Henchman

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
I think the iWantTFC streaming service is the only legal way to see the all episodes as a collection, no matter where you are in the world.
Thank you. Looks like it is $12.99, so maybe a good thing to subscribe to every so often, when enough episodes are up.
Sapphire Angel - Superheroine
Book 1 — Superheroine (complete)
Book 2 — Power Play (complete)
Book 3 — Deconstruction (complete)
Book 4 — Savage Dawn (complete)
Book 5 — Savage Vengeance (coming January 2024)
Supergirl763
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

A little more Darna this week but still feels more like the "Brian and his police department"-show with Darna as their sidekick. No big action scene or peril as of yet for her.
shevek
Producer
Producer

End of the week Darna highlights. Don't read if you don't want spoilers.

Not sure what the previous poster meant: there is a lot of Darna in these episodes!
Spoiler

Episode 28 -

Borgo is pissed that his Extras are getting clocked so easily by The Protector (aka Darna).
So pissed that he throatlifts sexy Xandra! I wasn't expecting that. It doesn't look like she was expecting it, either.

Darna visits Brian in his apartment for (I think) the fourth time. This is getting to be a whole Wuthering Heights thing.
Brian mentions his admiration for Narda to her. He still has no clue they are the same person even after seeing her dozens of times.
They exchange this long awkward look like they want to kiss, but they don't of course.

Darna does seem like she's acting like an arm of the police force (that would never fly in 2022 Hollywood shows, so it's a welcome change). She saves all the officers from getting blown up by a grenade, and then she crushes the criminal's gun to bits, looking super hot while doing it. Typical Wonder Woman stuff. Then she exchanges another long glance with Brian. They look like they want to get a room, but they don't of course.
She also tries to save one of the criminals who is shot. It would be kind of cool if she had healing powers...but she doesn't.

Then there's the whole thing where Regina had the bathroom window locked, so she can't get back into the bathroom to change
back into Narda. It's kind of funny that she has super strength but can't open the window from the outside. But instead of finding
a secluded area, she changes back to Narda in a public parking lot! Seems a little risky.

Clone Man in Fisherman Hat is back. He is apparently impervious to bullets.

It ends with Regina losing a legal case because of a corrupt judge. Suddenly, she's back to being Valentina (it's only the second time we've seen
her as the villainess) and attacks the judge in her bed. Wish there was more of a transformation, but what can you do.

Episode 29

Valentina kills the judge (with her reptile stare, I guess? she never touches the judge).
Xandra seems totally OK to be in a room with Borgo, like nothing happened in the previous episodes where he tried to choke her?

Old amateur scientist food-vendor guy science-splains genetic mutations (the source of the Extras) to Darna.
Then he tells her he knows she is Narda, because he found her spaceship and is keeping her secret. Ok then, that's three people who know her identity so far.

Darna is in Brian's apartment AGAIN. Still no moves - they keep their distance.

Near the end, we finally see an almost proper Valentina transformation when Regina starts becoming the snakewoman in her own bed.
Looks like Babaeng Ahas might become a pawn of Borgo's scheme? But here, she merely bites a low-level drug dealer.

Episode 30

Brian and the police find the low-level drug dealer 'biktim' bitten by the snakebites.

In this episode, we get some excellent Darna action, again mostly on the behalf of the police.
There's an excellent transformation of Darna in a vacant lot - the camera pans all around her body, it's perfect and very hot.
Brian runs across a criminal gang trying to catch Clone Man. He randomly throws away a gun he takes from a thug (why?).
The gang tries to shoot both Clone Man and Brian, but Darna arrives and blocks ALL OF THEIR BULLETS FROM SEVERAL GUNS WITH HER THIN BODY.
How does she do that? Does her body somehow attract the bullets to her? Because they travel in straight lines. Oh well, physics is violated.
Darna is glad everyone is OK - she looks sexy and triumphant - then she flies off.

But she's not done. Clone Man sneaks away, and is shot at by thugs again. She crushes the gun of one of the thugs and tosses him aside like paper.
More great Wonder Woman action! Then she goes after each of the clones with her super speed. She catches Vince. It looks he's in medical danger because of his genetic changes. Darna takes off, and then comes back a moment later as Narda to help with the medical stuff.

Clone Man (aka Vince) gets put in jail, but then easily escapes using a bunch of his clones. What will happen next with him?
Will he ever find his fisherman hat again?
So, nothing really momentous happens to forward the plot much (it's mostly Clone Man scenes) but we do get a LOT of Darna in costume (and quite a bit in action) and a bit more action from Valentina as well. Things are picking up. Looking forward to next week's episodes!
Last edited by shevek 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.