Thunderbolts (Marvel, 2024)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Marvel has announced that they will release a Thunderbolts movie on July 26, 2024.

https://www.marvel.com/movies/thunderbolts

I'm not sure if they are basing this on any version of the team in the comics. I'm only familiar with the original version of the Thunderbolts from the 1990s.

The original concept of the Thunderbolts was that they were a new hero team who showed up while the Avengers were missing in action. They presented themselves as an all-new set of heroes stepping up to fill the gap left by the missing Avengers. Secretly, however, they were all villains recruited by Baron Zemo, posing as heroes to gain the public's trust.

This version of Thunderbolts appears to be made up of characters who were already in the MCU as heroes, antiheroes, and villans:
  • Black Widow II - Yelena Belova (Florence Pugh)
  • Taskmaster - Antonia Dreykov (Olga Kurylenko)
  • Winter Soldier - Bucky Barnes (Sebastian Stan)
  • Red Guardian - Alexei Shostakov (David Harbour)
  • Ghost - Ava Starr (Hannah John-Kamen)
  • U.S. Agent - John Walker (Wyatt Russel)
  • La Contessa - Valentina Allegra de la Fontaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfuss)
Harrison Ford will appear as Thaddeus "Thunderbolt" Ross, replacing the late William Hurt in the role.

It seems like they are going for more of a straight-up Dirty Dozen/Suicide Squad approach for this movie.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

My take: If we get the same awesome version of Yelena Belova that stole the show in Hawkeye, just take my money.

On the other hand, if we get the relatively bland version of the character that was in the Black Widow movie, not so much.

Apart from that, it's a solid cast, no idea who the villain(s) will be. Hopefully they have a good script.

So far, Daniel Brühl is not listed to appear as Baron Zemo. They may be saving that for a reveal, who knows.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Taskmaster from the comics wasn't exactly a team player. He would usually be the bad guy.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Taskmaster from the comics wasn't exactly a team player. He would usually be the bad guy.
Maybe. This will be the female version of Taskmaster that was in the Black Widow movie.

Ghost was the baddie in Ant-Man 2, though she was kind of a sympathetic villain. She's probably a hero in this.
shevek
Producer
Producer

This isn't the Thunderbolts - they're just using the name to cobble together a bunch of lower-paid actors into a team movie that can easily cash in.

Where's Beetle, Moonstone, Screaming Mini, Charcoal, Ogre, Mach IV, Blizzard, Atlas, Songbird, Speed Demon, Joystick, Radioactive Man, Nighthawk,
Deathstrike, Bullseye, Jester, Jack O'Lantern, Penance, Swordsman. (We know where Venom and Photon are.)

Taskmaster is the only one on that list above who was actually involved in a Marvel Thunderbolts comic. Also Baron Zemo if he throws in (and he will, given that he fits the description above of a lower-paid team movie actor).

Thunderbolts in name only. Think about it: there's only one remotely beautiful woman in this (Florence Pugh) and she's no Scarlett. She could end up being a lame character with no panache, as well (as Lurkndog points out). Without an actress playing Moonstone, I'm out.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The Leader and Deadpool were also part of the team. Yes this is the d-list actor movie. Kind of like those show episodes where the d list characters have a whole episode cause the leads go on vacation. And is Harrison Ford up to snuff for this?