Who will win the World Cup 2022?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!

Who will win the World Cup 2022?

Poll ended at 1 year ago

Argentina
7%
Brazil
43%
France
No votes
Spain
No votes
Netherlands
7%
England
29%
Germany
No votes
Belgium
No votes
Portugal
No votes
One of the other 23 countries [aka HUGE surprise]
14%

Total votes: 14
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This topic is about the SPORTING aspect of the tournament, so please keep the discussion on the topic.
Which country will win the World Cup in 2022?
And I'm talking about football ...or soccer as some folks call it.

So.... VOTE!
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No Wales listed on its own?

Don't blame you our defence is shit.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

For me the semifinals will be: Argentina vs Brazil (Brazil wins) and England vs Belgium (England wins). So the final will be England vs. Brazil with England winning. Therefore the champion will be England.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

IMG-20221119-WA0000.jpg
IMG-20221119-WA0000.jpg (280.21 KiB) Viewed 9241 times

I should explain that's Welsh national costume -and no the women don't still dress like that it's a photo from St Davids Day
(Our national Saints day, when wearing the costume was traditional) from 1950's .
(interesting factoid when the French invaded Fishguard in 1796 Jemima Nicholas had 50 women in that costume march in a circle on the headland and from the French camp on the beach it looked like an endless stream of British Redcoats so they surrendered )

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not surprisingly the topic derails.... Keep on topic folks!
If you want to post about the non-sportive aspects... feel free to open another thread.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Good luck to Wales vs. U.S. team. Not sure which of them is expected to do well in this tournament.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well you are ranked 15th in the world, we are 19th, and the group members are England 5th and Iran 20th.
It's a tough group
We will need to channel Jemima Nicholas I think.
Our defence gets panic stricken when they are on the ball, it rarely ends well.
A draw I think, or else we will fuck it up and gift you a goal

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
Well you are ranked 15th in the world, we are 19th, and the group members are England 5th and Iran 20th.
It's a tough group
If it were rugby, Wales would win, but soccer is not very predictable, besides, all the players are faking non-existent fouls. We have to wait until France 2023
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

argento wrote:
1 year ago
tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
It's a tough group
If it were rugby, Wales would win, but soccer is not very predictable, besides, all the players are faking non-existent fouls. We have to wait until France 2023
Don't like ballet on grass?
FYI, I referring to the flopping, and not the soccer "action". :giggle:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well,
Spoiler
Honours even after a 1-1 draw, USA had good first half Wales were crap but remembered there was a game on second half

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Danorian wrote:
1 year ago
argento wrote:
1 year ago
tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
It's a tough group
Don't like ballet on grass?
FYI, I referring to the flopping, and not the soccer "action". :giggle:
Oscar Wilde Quote:

Rugby is a game for barbarians played by gentlemen. Football is a game for gentlemen played by barbarians.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Wales v England tonight can't see an upset but let's hope for a good match and best of luck to the States and Iran, both of whom deserve to go through before we do on account of us playing completely crap up to now.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

U.S. has dominated the game in terms of possession and chances, but Iran only has to tie to move out of the group stage. 45 minutes away from the answer of who moves on. Good luck, team U.S.

Edited after game ends. U.S. wins!! Beats Iran 1 - 0 (with 9 minutes of time added on, no less!)

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

DrDominator9 wrote:
1 year ago
U.S. has dominated the game in terms of possession and chances, but Iran only has to tie to move out of the group stage. 45 minutes away from the answer of who moves on. Good luck, team U.S.

Edited after game ends. U.S. wins!! Beats Iran 1 - 0 (with 9 minutes of time added on, no less!)
Well, USA faces The Netherlands next, so I'm expecting a loss for the USA team. I mean honestly, this is soccer, a sport our men's team isn't good at. Maybe fair?

FYI, I was the one that did the lone vote for The Netherlands. :giggle:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well done, England and USA Wales fulfilled their potential, which was none.
Good luck to both teams in the next round, both thoroughly deserved.

In fairness Danorian USA is 15th in the world rankings so should make last 16 so well done you lot

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Sorry, Tally. The Welsh Dragon will one day roar again, I'm sure.

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

MightyHypnotic wrote:
1 year ago
I just came to say, the US moves on to the

KNOCKOUT STAGE
Honestly, if this World Cup was being held in any non-muslim country, I daresay we would be talking about knockouts on the stadium "stage". :D
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Qatar seems to be very pleasant...Fan
Croatia.
Last edited by argento 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

Murica will win!

Why is everyone laughing?
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

argento wrote:
1 year ago
Qatar seems to be very pleasant...Fan
Croatia.
I suddenly, inexplicable want to support whatever team she supports. Yeah.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

DrDominator9 wrote:
1 year ago
Sorry, Tally. The Welsh Dragon will one day roar again, I'm sure.
Well we chose to snore at this tournament. Having waited 64 years to see us in the finals I can honestly say that it wasn't long enough. We were bloody awful

Go USA

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Well done USA, a noble effort. Soft third goal flattered the scoreline a little but a good achievement to make last 16. Good young side I'm sure we will see more of in the future. Bravo!

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Good luck to Oz and the Argies tonight , with the British love of the underdog, go Socceroos, but all the best to both teams and let's hope for a good match

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Congratulations to England on their strong win. May they continue their winning ways. Not sure if you support England with the absence of Wales, Tally, but it is called Great Britain and you do share an island with England.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I got no issue if they play good football and deserve to win I am happy to applaud them.

I just object to the media hype where they get some average result and then the media is all "we can go all the way"

The reality is they aren't a top side they just think they are because 56 years ago they won a tournament with home advantage.
Germany , Italy, France, Argentina, Brazil have all reached the final 4 or 5 times or more and have won it several times and lost it several times. They are world class teams. England harp back to a semifinal in 1986 when the big teams don't even bother considering reaching a semi as a success.
I'm all for teams winning on merit, not just because they are Eng-ur-land. I wouldn't mind if they won the cup just so they stop banging on about 1966 when they last won something.

France are my pick in the next round, but let's just hope it's a good match

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Hey, remember when the U.S. women's soccer team won so many matches: they won the World Cup four times -- in 1991, 1999, 2015 and 2019 -- and six Olympic medals, most recently winning bronze at the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. At least that's not ancient history. As for the Men's team, eh, how about the weather we're having these days; crazy no?

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think the US team did play a good World Cup.
You always need to have a (somehow) realistic goal. With these players, they reached the knockout stage, which is a good result for that team.
They managed to get a draw against England and the defense worked well.
And they have a very young team, the youngest actually in this World Cup.
Will be interesting how that team will develop in the next 4 years. Perhaps then they will have more players in strong European clubs.
Perhaps, with the home advantage, they can then aim for the quarterfinal.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago
I think the US team did play a good World Cup.
You always need to have a (somehow) realistic goal. With these players, they reached the knockout stage, which is a good result for that team.
They managed to get a draw against England and the defense worked well.
And they have a very young team, the youngest actually in this World Cup.
Will be interesting how that team will develop in the next 4 years. Perhaps then they will have more players in strong European clubs.
Perhaps, with the home advantage, they can then aim for the quarterfinal.
Not a soccer fan. But after this time, if they don't make it to a semi, consider it it a failure.

That is at least a U.S sports fan philsophy.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
I got no issue if they play good football and deserve to win I am happy to applaud them.

I just object to the media hype where they get some average result and then the media is all "we can go all the way"

The reality is they aren't a top side they just think they are because 56 years ago they won a tournament with home advantage.
Germany , Italy, France, Argentina, Brazil have all reached the final 4 or 5 times or more and have won it several times and lost it several times. They are world class teams. England harp back to a semifinal in 1986 when the big teams don't even bother considering reaching a semi as a success.
I'm all for teams winning on merit, not just because they are Eng-ur-land. I wouldn't mind if they won the cup just so they stop banging on about 1966 when they last won something.

France are my pick in the next round, but let's just hope it's a good match
Brazil's power in soccer is equivalent to New Zealand's in rugby
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

:yahoo: Bravo Morocco! Incredible result! Commisserations to Spain.
Any Moroccans here enjoy a tremendous achievement

:thumbup:

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ok another boring soccer tournament determined by penalty kicks. this is one of the reason Soccer has not caught on in the U.S. (along with the fact we don't watch sports we don't excel at)

Now another 4 years before people pay attention.

BTW FIFA don't try to dictate to this continent what we can do in the stands
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

You can't call that final boring

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
BTW FIFA don't try to dictate to this continent what we can do in the stands
FIFA is an international umbrella governing body that looks after the overall rules of the game on the pitch, and runs international tournaments like the World Cup. Local bodies govern things like the stadiums and ticketing, run local competitions (like the FA Cup or Euros), and decide on local variations to the rules (such as which competitions require VAR to be used, what goal-line technology is required.) For example, the English Premier League will be governed by the FA in London; when EPL teams play in the European Champion's League those games will be governed by UEFA; and when the England international team plays in the World Cup the games will be governed by FIFA. Those bodies set the standard for stadiums, security, etc. for their competitions.

Long story short: unless the USA is hosting a World Cup, FIFA won't be telling spectators what to do in the stands. More likely it will be the United States Football Federation for domestic competitions and CONCACAF for continental competitions.

R5
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

You mean FIFA telling countries not to wear rainbow patches, or breaking their word about drinking in venues?

FIFA like the IOC head are vile supporters of war criminal states and human right violators as long as they get bribed enough
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yep they are the fellas.

five_red
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
You mean FIFA telling countries not to wear rainbow patches, or breaking their word about drinking in venues?

FIFA like the IOC head are vile supporters of war criminal states and human right violators as long as they get bribed enough
Yup. But they don't "dictate to this continent what we can do in the stands." They don't set the rules for how continents or domestic football (soccer) manages its fans, its venues, its security, its ticketing, etc. -- unless the competition is the FIFA World Cup.

Part of the problem was that the domestic football associations, like the FA in England and the FFF in France, wanted their teams to wear armbands or other stuff to show support for LGBTQ groups, and FIFA said it would punish them. If this had been an English or French domestic competition, FIFA would have had no say in the matter. If it had been a continental competition, like the UEFA Champion's League or the Euros, then FIFA would have had no say. But unfortunately it just happened to be a World Cup, which means it is the one tournament that FIFA (as the world body) are actually in charge.

And yes, it is all down to money, and sponsorship, and backroom deals, and corruption. Just like when Ronaldo wasn't allowed to move the Coca Cola bottle off the table during his press conference last year, even though he clearly dislikes Coke's unhealthy sugar-filled beverages, because the competition was sponsored by Coke so their product had to be on-screen when he was answering questions. It is all about money, and pleasing the big corporate sponsors.

But then find me any big successful sport that hasn't been ruined by money and sponsorship. Or cheating. Or corruption. Or performance enhancing drugs. Or all of these things.

The one good thing we can say about FIFA is that after the disgrace of awarding the World Cup to Qatar, they at least reformed their decision making process so that it is now a one-member one-vote system (200+ members) rather than the tiny electoral college of a dozen or so federation representatives that they used to have -- which should be a whole lot harder to sway with bribery in future. We will see...

R5
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Who was the one person in the poll who picked Argentina to win it all? Step forward to receive your chrome-plated "I KNEW IT!" award.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

My money is on Argento

argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

I voted for England, they had the fatality that Kane missed the penalty against France and you saw what France is like, they don't handle the ball much but when they have it they hurt. Brazil also lost unfairly against Croatia. Soccer is crazy.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
My money is on Argento
I think the person who made the post voted for Argentina.
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

Coming soon:
Rugby World Cup 2023
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

five_red wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago

Yup. But they don't "dictate to this continent what we can do in the stands." They don't set the rules for how continents or domestic football (soccer) manages its fans, its venues, its security, its ticketing, etc. -- unless the competition is the FIFA World Cup.

Part of the problem was that the domestic football associations, like the FA in England and the FFF in France, wanted their teams to wear armbands or other stuff to show support for LGBTQ groups, and FIFA said it would punish them. If this had been an English or French domestic competition, FIFA would have had no say in the matter. If it had been a continental competition, like the UEFA Champion's League or the Euros, then FIFA would have had no say. But unfortunately it just happened to be a World Cup, which means it is the one tournament that FIFA (as the world body) are actually in charge.

And yes, it is all down to money, and sponsorship, and backroom deals, and corruption. Just like when Ronaldo wasn't allowed to move the Coca Cola bottle off the table during his press conference last year, even though he clearly dislikes Coke's unhealthy sugar-filled beverages, because the competition was sponsored by Coke so their product had to be on-screen when he was answering questions. It is all about money, and pleasing the big corporate sponsors.

But then find me any big successful sport that hasn't been ruined by money and sponsorship. Or cheating. Or corruption. Or performance enhancing drugs. Or all of these things.

The one good thing we can say about FIFA is that after the disgrace of awarding the World Cup to Qatar, they at least reformed their decision making process so that it is now a one-member one-vote system (200+ members) rather than the tiny electoral college of a dozen or so federation representatives that they used to have -- which should be a whole lot harder to sway with bribery in future. We will see...

R5
Won't deny the U.S sports leagues have problems. But they don't activly turn their eyes away to major racism and anti-Semitism the way the IOC and FIFA does

Sorry for a political rant, Israel would be in the world Cup this year, if they were allowed to play in their geographic region, but FIFA appeases the Arab world and make them play in the tougher European region.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
1 year ago
Who was the one person in the poll who picked Argentina to win it all? Step forward to receive your chrome-plated "I KNEW IT!" award.
Actually, I did make that vote. Accordingly my favorite betting company, they were the biggest favorite before Brazil and France.
European countries only rarely win World Cups outside Europe ;-) ... (even there were exceptions like 2010+2014)
Sadly I don't put money on that...
-

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Sorry for a political rant, Israel would be in the world Cup this year, if they were allowed to play in their geographic region, but FIFA appeases the Arab world and make them play in the tougher European region.
Well, the Australians left their oceanic region to play in the Asian football association. They wanted tougher competition because qualification matches against New Zealand and some tiny islands don't offer you that.
I don't know if the Israelis would prefer to play in the Asian football association, but I guess they would. I know that many Arab countries threatened to boycott to play against them, but well... I would then ignore them so they would miss the chance to participate.... but the FIFA sees that a little differently apparently.

But well, in 2026 the World Cup gets 50% bigger in terms of participating countries. It gets tougher and tougher NOT to qualify for the World Cup :hmmm:
So the chances that Israel will be participating there aren't bad.

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maskripper wrote:
1 year ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
1 year ago
Well, the Australians left their oceanic region to play in the Asian football association. They wanted tougher competition because qualification matches against New Zealand and some tiny islands don't offer you that.
I don't know if the Israelis would prefer to play in the Asian football association, but I guess they would. I know that many Arab countries threatened to boycott to play against them, but well... I would then ignore them so they would miss the chance to participate.... but the FIFA sees that a little differently apparently.

But well, in 2026 the World Cup gets 50% bigger in terms of participating countries. It gets tougher and tougher NOT to qualify for the World Cup :hmmm:
So the chances that Israel will be participating there aren't bad.
FIFA like the IOC has a history of anti-Semitism and racism, which is why I don't want either coming to the U.S.
Damselbinder

Even a stopped clock...
argento
Elder Member
Elder Member

FIFA is undoubtedly the big winner: it covers some USD 1,700,000,000 in costs, including prizes and compensation, but its income from broadcasting rights, marketing and ticket sales, among other items, is estimated at USD 4,700,000,000 leaving it with a net profit of USD 3,000,000,000.

https://www.infobae.com/economia/2022/1 ... atar-2022/