The English

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Anyone watching the western series The English with Emily Blunt? It's got a great cast and a superb period feel.
Chaske Spencer as the Pawnee scout is brilliant.

Really good supporting cast with the likes of Toby Jones, Ciaran Hinds, Stephen Rea. Only 3 episodes into it and I love it.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
sugarcoater
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thanks for the suggestion! I’ll check it out later this weekend.
Ignore any virtue-signaling; it's clearly just you.

Ignore any activism; it clearly doesn't exist.

Be very careful!
Don't be indoctrinated!
Ignore your common sense!

Everything is entirely normal and ignore the radical changes to culture.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

It's very bloody but we are all adults here.

It's a BBC production with Emily Blunts own production company, think it's based on a book. Scenery is stunning, filmed on location and the characters are all just really interesting, even the bit parts, you become interested in their story.

I'd give it 9/10.

Like all good Westerns it's about revenge

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Which streaming service is it on?
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
1 year ago
Which streaming service is it on?
Amazon
Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago

It's a BBC production with Emily Blunts own production company, think it's based on a book. Scenery is stunning, filmed on location and the characters are all just really interesting, even the bit parts, you become interested in their story.

I'd give it 9/10.

A Fistful of Dollars isn't about revenge.
Femina
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
tallyho wrote:
1 year ago

I'd give it 9/10.

But it's got revenge IN it! ;)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

There are exceptions to every rule, but doesn't it all kick off because they make fun of his mule, then hell bent on avenging his mule's honour he goes on a revenge fuelled killing spree?
:giggle:

Or was that the classic Cowboys vs Aliens.
(Btw Colloquial Welsh for cowboys is...er...cowbois.. [ said like the Bois in Boise Idaho so it's phonetically exactly the same as the English version]. I'm pretty sure it's just my countrymen are lazy)

I'd love to go on a spree. Not the killing kind just a general one Not sure what makes a spree exactly. Shopping spree is just shopping, isn't it?

I'd like to go on a brothel spree if possible.

If any show is going to have a brothel spree it's this one. 3 episodes in and there's been around 15 deaths, murders, and suicides.

I'd be interested in others reactions so please post here with any thoughts on the show.

It's on BBC iPlayer if any UK members missed the first few episodes.

Damselbinder

Femina wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago
tallyho wrote:
1 year ago

I'd give it 9/10.

But it's got revenge IN it! ;)
It's got a hat in it too, that doesn't mean it's about haberdashery.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

It's got waaaay more than one...pretty much everyone has one...who's to say haberdashery wasn't a subtext of Mr Leone?

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
1 year ago
Damselbinder wrote:
1 year ago

It's got waaaay more than one...pretty much everyone has one...who's to say haberdashery wasn't a subtext of Mr Leone?

I'm not a theoretical physicist, so I don't claim to know the first thing about the actual scientific soundness of this 'multiverse theory' thing. However, sometimes there is a part of me that hopes that it is true - you know that there's an infinite number of realities and so on.

If so, perhaps there exists a reality - somewhere in the vast, cosmic ocean - where that remark was witty.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Ooo handbags at dawn!

Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

The English continues to impress. Great performances and a compelling story told in an interesting way. We truly live in a golden age of television. I'm watching Wednesday at the same time as The English, and it's equally entertaining in a completely different way.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Superb performance from Ralph Spall this week. Menace exuding from every pore

sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Best western I’ve seen in a while and a very heart breaking story. Nice to see Native American as the protagonist for once.
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I loved the series. Emily Blunt rocks, and Chaske Spencer's taciturn performance reminded me of some of Clive Owen's best movies. I do think the final episode felt a little rushed and disjointed. It's almost like they intended for it to be one episode longer but ran out of time or money. Regardless, superb television.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Emily Blunt rocks that outfit. I doubt the lavender pant are period authentic, but she totally rocks them, especially with the boots. Losing the Bustle would helpful.

I like the way when ever they run across a new character, my first question is, “I wonder how this one is going to get killed?”

I am only at episode four, but crossing my fingers she runs into some interesting bat-traps as the series progresses (if not this season, in future ones). This is the Batgirl movie they should have made. She is Batgirl of the old West….
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Just seen episode 5, brilliant stuff.

sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

I saw it through to the end last night, I retract my batgirl comments. But it is a brilliant show.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Slightly disappointed with the final show down but really enjoyed the series over all.
Well worth a watch, some great acting performances on show from the whole cast.