Shazam! Fury of the Gods

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Bert

The release date for this sequel has been moved up to Dec. 16, 2022. Yay David!
Grace.jpg
Grace.jpg (84.13 KiB) Viewed 3473 times
Several other people besides Grace Fulton are also in the movie. For some reason.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I can't believe no discussion about Grace as Mary, WOW....she is a real hottie!!!!! She reminds me a little bit of Anastasia Pierce!!! Anastasia, here is a new cosplay for ya!!!!
FB_IMG_1658878296356.jpg
FB_IMG_1658878296356.jpg (30.88 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
FB_IMG_1658878075980.jpg
FB_IMG_1658878075980.jpg (41.03 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
FB_IMG_1658878083190.jpg
FB_IMG_1658878083190.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 3241 times
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Well, my interest is piqued!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Hope for another tentacle monster.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

While I prefer the more classic look of Mary Marvel's costume from the first movie, I guess this is not so bad (in fact, it's also great!). I'm sure they could have done much, much worse.

With the new DCEU coming, I really hope there's a place for Shazam there so we can see more of these girls.
335051512_1038069727596894_4720871328035127381_n.jpg
335051512_1038069727596894_4720871328035127381_n.jpg (123.38 KiB) Viewed 2911 times
Last edited by brdiy 1 year ago, edited 2 times in total.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Now THAT is nice! Why can't Marvel do that? The other thing is these two girls are NOT obnoxious know it alls like Marvel heroines. Kind of refreshing.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So hot!!! Their costumes are perfect and incredibly sexy!
Heroineaddicted
Sargeant
Sargeant

brdiy wrote:
1 year ago
While I prefer the more classic look of Mary Marvel's costume from the first movie, I guess this is not so bad (in fact, it's also great!). I'm sure they could have done much, much worse.

With the new DCEU coming, I really hope there's a place for Shazam there so we can see more of these girls.

335051512_1038069727596894_4720871328035127381_n.jpg
I agree. They do look dope & cute.
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
Supergirllegend
Henchman
Henchman

That’s why I prefer DC films. They’re not afraid to be accurate
shevek
Producer
Producer

Near perfect! We can see that these are shapely, beautiful women. (And yes, I realize the inherent weirdness, but that applies to Billy Batson, too,
and it's been a thing for 70 years.)

And I'm so glad the costumes are different, and that they went with the tight bodysuit for the Darla character to show off how "Good" Meagan looks.
I wouldn't necessarily expect Darla's disposition to be cheery, though, Mr. X. Look at her facial expression even in that publicity shot.
We'll have to see how the writing goes for that character. So far it's been alright, though.

Also, I can't wait to see some nice cosplay at Cons this year (I'll be at a dozen of them!) with these outfits created in the traditional spandex.

Don't want to 'break immersion', but I have two questions maybe someone can answer?

1) What's with all the big productions using this crosshatched fabric? Is there some big advantage to using this fabric (in terms of durability? coloring on camera? stretchiness?) when compared to spandex/lycra etc? Does it also eliminate shine? I've almost never seen an indie superhero film use this fabric style, so it also must be quite expensive?

2) Reports are that Grace Fulton is the only actress playing both roles, and she wears no mask. Wouldn't she easily be recognized as Mary Bromfield, thus negating the security of any secret identity? And if so, wouldn't anyone easily be able to trace the other kids back to the foster family group that Mary is certainly registered with the government as being a part of, thus negating everyone's secret identity in turn? Including that of Billy Batson?

Just some thoughts. Looking forward to this release date (March 17)!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think the pattern is simply "cause we can" plus it more separates the costume from some cosplay attempt. Compare that to Capt Marvel's baggy cosplay halloween outfit she wears. Plus this is obviously far more form fitting with no wrinkles and sags. Also probably easier to CG render. Batman has been doing the elaborate suit thing for years now. The Batman was a return to traditional clothes.

One thing I have noticed is in both Marvel and DC everyone gets a suit or powered suit of some kind.

See, now this isn't so hard now is it.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
Now THAT is nice! Why can't Marvel do that? The other thing is these two girls are NOT obnoxious know it alls like Marvel heroines. Kind of refreshing.
Scarlet's Black Widow did appear sexy AND strong when she first appeared in Ironman. Then all of a sudden, Marvel heroines (most of them anyway) started appearing in generic jumpsuits. Let's hope DC doesn't follow suit.

phopho
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

I can't believe they finally gave a heroine a sexy form-fitting costume in one of these movies. Brie Larson should have worn something like this for the Captain Marvel movie.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I would love to see the white and gold or black and gold Mary marvel dress costumes, so 🔥!!! Maybe we'll get some Furies lesbian peril on her in this one
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

BRoll footage including some nice shots of the girls in costume.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Reviews are coming out. Avoid if you don't want spoilers however this review has no real spoilers. Seems the only thing good about this movie is that they didn't gimp the girls and their costumes. We got some sexy heroines which should be good for some erotica however it is a bit creepy to think of the one girl in a sexual way when she's like 12 now.
Spoiler
shevek
Producer
Producer

It was OK. Amusing enough to stick through the whole movie without getting bored, so a bit better at holding attention than Black Adam.
Zachary Levi is such a goofball. I don't know if I'd quite call him a lovable goofball, but he's definitely hamming it up all through the damn thing.

Grace Caroline Currey (no longer Grace Fulton, apparently) is the primary reason to watch this film for the Forum.
She gets lots of screen time, and you can get plenty of screen captures in that beautiful tight costume. So gorgeous.

You can probably also get a few good screen captures of Meagan Good, too, although she doesn't get quite as much play.
In the film, she seems a bit more useful in her civilian child form.

And speaking of capture, there are several peril scenes. I've put them in the spoilers just in case you want to encounter them organically.
Spoiler

The best one lasts for a few seconds when both Mary and Darla are tightly bound up with metal cables mentally telekineticized by the villaness Hespera.

Another is when Mary is plunging from the sky - she has a look of sheer terror, but unfortunately is not in the costume when doing it.
Shazam has to save her from certain death, so they're definitely not Mary Sue-ing, which is nice.

And the goddess Anthea also gets in peril. She is hurled through a window and lands powerlessly sand sprawled out on the pavement, getting 'de-deified' in the process. Later on, she is suffering the heat of the dragon's magical breath as Freddy stumbles to her aid.
All diversity casting aside (and there is a ton of it here, to the max, on every level), another great reason to watch the film is for Rachel Zegler, who plays the goddess Anthea. She doesn't have a lot of movie experience (she literally debuted in 2021's West Side Story remake) but does an excellent job of being both a heroine and a love interest. Her costume is also very shapely and tight, but more in that Amazon armor type of way.
(See above spoiler for her peril content)

And yes, if you've seen the Wikipedia page for this movie or heard the Internet buzz, you know that Gal Gadot is in this film.
She doesn't have a lot of screen time, and only says a few lines, but plays a crucial role near the end. Still looks incredibly hot.
The first slate of Gunn and Safran's DCU reboot doesn't involve a Wonder Woman project, and word is that her cameo in The Flash
was scrapped, so this might be the last time we see her for a while, if at all. Sad.

[Note: Apparently, Gal Gadot and Rachel Zegler are going to be in the Snow White reboot movie together. I don't know who is looking forward to that.]

That's about it. So, you might as well check it out. Maybe not precisely the way I just checked it out, but hey...thanks, India! :)

Only one more question: are there any Ethiopians on this Forum? Because this page randomly appeared in the credits at 1:59:52 (which were literally 'scrolling') and I know Amharic when I see it (I own a few dozen Ethiopian records). Anybody knows what it says? Could this possibly just be a page of the Ethiopian Orthodox Bible in Ge'ez that they pulled off an Internet image?

I guess I could piece it out myself with an alphabet chart, but maybe you'd like to save me some time....
amharic in shazam.jpg
amharic in shazam.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 2381 times
[Update: With the help of some friends, I think we pretty much determined it's a page of an Ethiopian Bible translation into Ge'ez]
Last edited by shevek 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Saw it today. I thought it was OK. Simple, didn't expect much. Better than Black Adam. Its good for a matinee. The two bad girls are clearly phoning in the parts.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I feel bad for the cast. With all that's happening at DC right now, I feel this move doesn't stand much of a chance (commercially speaking), unfortunately. In the meantime, Marvel can still afford churn out bad movies once in a while and still make a profit... :(

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

One thing I did notice
Spoiler
was seeing some booty cheek on WW as she walks away from the camera. My guess is that was the stunt double.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Has had a worse opening weekend than Morbius.

It speaks to the stupidity of DC that they seriously thought this movie was a better bet than Batgirl when they decided which one to bin.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Has had a worse opening weekend than Morbius.

It speaks to the stupidity of DC that they seriously thought this movie was a better bet than Batgirl when they decided which one to bin.
It was Zaslav's decision, I'm pretty sure - not Gunn or Safran. The film will more than make its money back - it's only been three days.
But it's not going to be a huge blockbuster, no.

Meanwhile, you can go over to Gail Simone's Twitter right now and watch her virtue-signal the hell out of how she thought Darla
carried the film by being "lovely and charismatic". Because of course she did! :) But she's mainly talking about Faithe Herman, because the
most memorable Darla moments (no spoilers) all seemed to happen out of costume (except for the one aforementioned peril scene).

Darla does have her own fan Twitter account, however, which seems pretty active. https://twitter.com/a_darla_ble
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Had to be Zaslav. The guy has shit for brains. Anybody with any sense would know that even a mediocre, or straight up bad, Bat Girl movie is going to be a draw because of Keaton as Batman. Enough people would want to see that to justify releasing the movie.

They need to hurry up and get Fishboy 2 and Sex Offenders In Space out the door so they can reboot this thing ASAP.

That's if they even want to. The Superhero genre is looking kind of knackered lately.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Sex Offenders In Space out the door so they can reboot this thing ASAP.
Also known as the Flasher
Last edited by Mr. X 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dogfish wrote:
1 year ago
Had to be Zaslav. The guy has shit for brains. Anybody with any sense would know that even a mediocre, or straight up bad, Bat Girl movie is going to be a draw because of Keaton as Batman. Enough people would want to see that to justify releasing the movie.

They need to hurry up and get Fishboy 2 and Sex Offenders In Space out the door so they can reboot this thing ASAP.

That's if they even want to. The Superhero genre is looking kind of knackered lately.
Babylon Bee's humor mill has the last word on this one. :)
the batgirl movie.jpg
the batgirl movie.jpg (63.03 KiB) Viewed 2143 times
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Gail Simone has more talent in one pinky toenail and has had one thousand times more impact than some so-called "producers" on this site. Sometimes calling foul on notable people is entirely justified, and sometimes it's just petty jealousy. Everyone knows which it is in this case.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Word of mouth on the film is good, but box office is not good, not for a film with a 100 million dollar budget.

I hear that it is a lot of fun, similar to the first movie.

Unfortunately, it only pulled in $30 million domestic its opening weekend, and this week John Wick 4 opened to $73 million dollars, pushing Shazam down to 9.7 million in its second week. That takes it to $46.3 million domestically, $102.4 million worldwide.

So, sadly, it is not on track to make its money back.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
1 year ago
I hear that it is a lot of fun, similar to the first movie.
I would say its 75% of the fun of the first movie. Basically I wasn't bored I just didn't care. Nothing going on was really going to have an impact.
Spoiler
In fact I'm wondering if the Shazam family had not interfered the baddies probably would have gone off and minded their own business given at the end the tree of life gets planted where its supposed to anyway. All the Shazam family did was cause a lot of property damage.
The big plus is the fetish tie up scene of the two girls in costume. Haven't seen something like that in mainstream for years. I think maybe Black Widow tied to a chair in Avengers is about the only thing. Or maybe Capt Marvel hanging upside down... maybe. But the two girls are hot and they are wearing some smoking outfits. Going to be a fair number of still shots come out once this goes to bluray.

All around this movie is a meaningless addition like Eternals. It doesn't lead to anything and everything is just wiped out after Flash.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
1 year ago
The big plus is the fetish tie up scene of the two girls in costume. Haven't seen something like that in mainstream for years. I think maybe Black Widow tied to a chair in Avengers is about the only thing. Or maybe Capt Marvel hanging upside down... maybe. But the two girls are hot and they are wearing some smoking outfits. Going to be a fair number of still shots come out once this goes to bluray.
There was also a brief tentacle peril scene for Mary Marvel in the first Shazam movie.
I think that was mentioned in the first Shazam movie thread.
It wasn't as extended and intense as the restraint scene in Shazam 2, however.
shevek
Producer
Producer

I suppose we're nearly done talking about this movie, given that:

1) It's clear that it was a fairly mediocre outing, if still entertaining.

2) The superheroines looked hot, but there was not enough of them.

3) It looks like unlikely to make its money back.

Mention has been made of the overt Skittles product placement, which was largely irrelevant to the character with which it was associated (Darla).

However I wanted to point out something fun on our social media: Back in Heroineburgh Episode 15, our opening scene featured a Skittles "product placement" (obviously for fun, not profit) as part of an ongoing series of visual jokes about "Spectrina, the Mistress of the Rainbow" and her preference for multi-colored items (in another episode, she also eats Froot Loops). I found a very nice Skittles jacket at a local Goodwill for a very reasonable price, and decided to use it in the episode!

Here is Spectrina (Dr. Katrina Spector), meeting with the corrupt detective Mark Drake, wearing the Skittles jacket.
taste the rainbow.jpg
taste the rainbow.jpg (128.77 KiB) Viewed 1779 times