Top five favorite live action shows with peril

General discussions about superheroines!
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
11 months ago
Tara King (Limda Thorson) wasn't that bad. Patrick MacNee, who played Steed, complained the show recycled the same plots from the first season with Hedley to Honor Blackman and then Diana Rigg so she was the last version.
It was not only that i, it was the introduction of the character of Mother. On the other side Roger Delgado is one of the episodes as a secondary baddie
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Acapulco Heat? That is a show that could get a reboot… what other show would send fitness models in bikinis to do the dirty work against bikini clad secret agents?

Tara King did get a couple of decent scenes. She had the same problem season 3 Batman had. The show was running out of juice and she was competing with the ghost of Emma Peel. Never a good combo.
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I'd never even heard of Spy Game! I checked it out on Youtube and skimmed episode 10 I think. Guess who was a guest star? Patrick Macnee! And the show was produced by Sam Raimi. Far out!

By the way, I recently watched episodes of Adventure Inc. with Michael Biehn and the amazing Karen Cliche on Tubi. Guess who produced that? Gale Anne Hurd!
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
Visitor wrote:
11 months ago
Tara King (Limda Thorson) wasn't that bad. Patrick MacNee, who played Steed, complained the show recycled the same plots from the first season with Hedley to Honor Blackman and then Diana Rigg so she was the last version.
It was not only that i, it was the introduction of the character of Mother. On the other side Roger Delgado is one of the episodes as a secondary baddie
For me a large part of the problem was the changing dynamic. While Steed was getting older, the women at his side were getting younger. Honor Blackman was only 3 years younger than Patrick Macnee. With Diana Rigg the difference was already 16 years, but she came over as adult enough that it did not yet matter too much. But Linda Thorson was 25 years younger and had just turned 20, while Macnee was approaching his later forties. Steed could have easily been Tara's father, yet the hints that she might be interested in him romantically were much more pronounced than in the seasons before.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

VegaTaxeca wrote:
11 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
Visitor wrote:
11 months ago
For me a large part of the problem was the changing dynamic. While Steed was getting older, the women at his side were getting younger. Honor Blackman was only 3 years younger than Patrick Macnee. With Diana Rigg the difference was already 16 years, but she came over as adult enough that it did not yet matter too much. But Linda Thorson was 25 years younger and had just turned 20, while Macnee was approaching his later forties. Steed could have easily been Tara's father, yet the hints that she might be interested in him romantically were much more pronounced than in the seasons before.
All good points, Shows run far too long. right now NCIS is a great example of a show that should have ended at least 3 years ago.
And lets remember how embarassed Roger Moore was in his last film with Tanya Roberts who was young enough to be his daughter

DR Who and Law & Order have been the only two franchises who have made wholesale cast changes and presevered.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

NCIS - using the same plot for its entire run.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
11 months ago
Can't agree with that. Yes it was always dealing with a crime of some sort. But until they lost the characters of Tony and Abby it was still enjoyable to watch.

McGee is the only good character left
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
Mr. X wrote:
11 months ago
Can't agree with that. Yes it was always dealing with a crime of some sort. But until they lost the characters of Tony and Abby it was still enjoyable to watch.

McGee is the only good character left
I'm just joking. Whenever I watched it the show was always "Dead Marine in the park".
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

A lot of syndicated action shows from the 1990s, like Zena, Acapulco Heat, Hercules could have some pretty good scenes because they did have to worry about national advertisers and Networks buying or not buying. They were selling to cable and local markets. If there were girls in bikinis and showing a lot of leg, who cared if the Southern Baptists objected? It was getting sold in local market or to cable stations. A bit of light bondage is going to pump a little cheap drama and extra T&A out of an episode.

Speaking of pumping a little T&A, Pamela Anderson's V.I.P. was good for that. I know she got herself on a conveyor belt to some sort of meat processor in one episode.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
One bit of advice do not bother with Tara King.
If anything, Tara was more peril-prone than Emma Peel. She was more of a rookie agent, as a way of distinguishing her from her predecessor. There are some excellent KOs in her season.

Also, let's not forget about Anne Francis in Honey West. They're short episodes, but lots of sexy head KOs, tranquilizer darts, and general spy stuff. The show is in black and white, however. It was probably the last season of TV before everything went color.

She Spies was another fun show from the 2000s. Or at least, the first season was campy fun. The second season kind of lost that sense of fun.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Lurkndog wrote:
10 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
11 months ago
One bit of advice do not bother with Tara King.
If anything, Tara was more peril-prone than Emma Peel. She was more of a rookie agent, as a way of distinguishing her from her predecessor. There are some excellent KOs in her season.

Also, let's not forget about Anne Francis in Honey West. They're short episodes, but lots of sexy head KOs, tranquilizer darts, and general spy stuff. The show is in black and white, however. It was probably the last season of TV before everything went color.

She Spies was another fun show from the 2000s. Or at least, the first season was campy fun. The second season kind of lost that sense of fun.
----
The dynamic between MacNee and Rigg was much better and Peel was my type of heroine talented not a psuhover which is why they seem to make Tara King. Just look at the openings, Rigg shoots a cork out of a champian glass, Tara is running for her life

Rigg is like Wonder Woman or DR Who's Romana , you know they don't need their male partners
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

sneakly wrote:
11 months ago
A lot of syndicated action shows from the 1990s, like Zena, Acapulco Heat, Hercules could have some pretty good scenes because they did have to worry about national advertisers and Networks buying or not buying. They were selling to cable and local markets. If there were girls in bikinis and showing a lot of leg, who cared if the Southern Baptists objected? It was getting sold in local market or to cable stations. A bit of light bondage is going to pump a little cheap drama and extra T&A out of an episode.

Speaking of pumping a little T&A, Pamela Anderson's V.I.P. was good for that. I know she got herself on a conveyor belt to some sort of meat processor in one episode.
That describes Acapulco Heat. They had one actress people might know one of the second stringers from Dynasty, a model trying to get into acting and the brainy woman who look good in a bikini while using a a laptop and so the women can ogle; the men wore no shirts and looked like male models
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
10 months ago
sneakly wrote:
11 months ago

That describes Acapulco Heat. They had one actress people might know one of the second stringers from Dynasty, a model trying to get into acting and the brainy woman who looked good in a bikini while using a a laptop and so the women can ogle; the men wore no shirts and looked like male models
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Lurkndog wrote:
10 months ago

The first season of She Spies was excellent! I think the show might have been a few years ahead of its time. It was so clever and entertaining, but innovation was confusing to the mainstream audience. They dropped all the funky, innovative stuff in the second season and the show became conventional and a little boring.
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Came across this video. I seems to have been produced to answer this question.

Acapulco Heat- previously discussed
Relic Hunter- (Tia Carrere in her prime) Super hot lead action heroine. Brian's Page listed 15 scenes which a really high hit rate for a show.
Rip Tide features a few good scenes including an very early Gena Davis scene
Thunder in Paradise- Hate Hulk Hogan, but Carol alt gets tied up and thrown in the water to drown, one of my favorite peril scenes. This show had potential if only Carol Alt was the focus, constantly in peril and in shorts or a bikini
Tales of the Gold Monkey- what I considered a missed opportunity at the time. A rip off of Raiders of the Lost Arc, that lacked the Saturday serials death-trap cliffhanger perils.
Carol Alt showing why she should be the focus...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I do remember Land of the Giants had some nice peril.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DonShip wrote:
11 months ago
Oh man, thanks for reminding me of the Queen of Swords. What a great show.
The problem with that show was she couldn't use a sword at all. Besides she and Methos never did get into bed
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Yes, quite so. The spectacularly beautiful, sexy heroine, who appeared multiple times per episode fighting all sorts of villains, often having at least momentary trouble in the many fight scenes, wasn't also an Olympic-level fencer. What the hell were they thinking?

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h49m30s194.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h49m30s194.png (664.27 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h52m33s657.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h52m33s657.png (635.88 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h07m27s740.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h07m27s740.png (665.43 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h11m55s879.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h11m55s879.png (652.04 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h27m08s931.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h27m08s931.png (824.58 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h34m34s305.png
vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h34m34s305.png (715.59 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Another obscure bit of fun was Dangerous Curves, a late night show that lasted two seasons from 1992-1993. It was part of CBS' "Crime Time after Prime Time" lineup.

Lise Cutter and Michael Michelle play ex-cop "security consultants" who basically get into trouble every episode.

Unfortunately it was never released on home video or DVD, though I did find two episodes up on YouTube:

Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Ernie wrote:
10 months ago
Yes, quite so. The spectacularly beautiful, sexy heroine, who appeared multiple times per episode fighting all sorts of villains, often having at least momentary trouble in the many fight scenes, wasn't also an Olympic-level fencer. What the hell were they thinking?

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h49m30s194.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-05h52m33s657.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h07m27s740.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h11m55s879.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h27m08s931.png

vlcsnap-2023-06-05-06h34m34s305.png
------------------
Doesn't have to be Olympic but if you look at the classic and martila arts sword fighters: Flynn Rahtborne, Adiran Paul they knew what they were doing.

Heck Elizabeth Gracen had to get some rudimentry skills for the one season of Highlander the Raven
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

James Caan as Rupert of Rathskellar in Get Smart loved that he got to sword fight and trained for just a few episodes.