South Asian girls in Western superheroine videos?

General discussions about superheroines!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Hey, I thought I'd bring up a cool topic which almost seems the rare Holy Grail of SHIP due to how seldom it happens.
There was a poster over on HM who asked a random question in a TBFE post about whether they could get Indian or Pakistani girls
to be SHIP heroines.

I doubt that's the kind of post that Allen or whoever over at TBFE would bother to answer (although there is a sizable Asian population in Portland, about 10%, I don't know what the breakdown would be for South Asian, probably not a whole lot). So I took it upon myself to respond over there (I don't know if they'll approve my comment) but I figured a whole thread about it could be made here instead.

As far as I know, there have been very few South Asian actresses in SHIP and they don't last very long. So it's a rare thing.
Here's what I have seen:

- Early on, Next Global Crisis had a peril video with an unnamed actress playing the character Golden Hornet.
I have it, and it's pretty good. But I don't think she was heard from again after that initial offering.

https://nextglobalcrisis.com/characters/golden-hornet/
ngc_s1ep03_screencap17.jpg
ngc_s1ep03_screencap17.jpg (133.73 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
ngc_s1ep03_screencap02.jpg
ngc_s1ep03_screencap02.jpg (173.83 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
- Next came Logan (yeah, I know), who cast actress Poonam Basu as Omega in a handful of videos on what used to be Heroine Legends but is now called Heroine Kombat. She was amazing, and eventually went on to a bunch of commercial acting projects. If anyone's interested, I own the Omega costume but haven't used it yet...

https://heroinekombat.com/products/hl-omegas-war
Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_5.52.15_PM_700x.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_5.52.15_PM_700x.jpg (66.14 KiB) Viewed 1410 times
- After that, other than the appearance of Fast Track (Meena Dhawan) in The Flash TV show, there seems to be only us (Heroineburgh).
We actively went out and searched for actresses to fill not one, but two, Indian roles and came up with first Shani and then Nupur to play Arogya and the Healer, as well as Anna and the current actress Sana to play Kaliyuga the Destroyer, placing them both regularly in full episodes (Sana also did Custom #8). They have all been great.

http://heroineburgh.com/

Here are Nupur (Arogya) and Anna (Kaliyuga) back in Episode 17, both using their powers in a combat struggle.
kaliyuga story 4th photo 1.jpg
kaliyuga story 4th photo 1.jpg (45.3 KiB) Viewed 1485 times
Kaliyuga (Sana) attacks Dark Spectra in the more recent Episode 21.
kaliyuga attacks dark spectra.jpg
kaliyuga attacks dark spectra.jpg (177.65 KiB) Viewed 1481 times
I have to say, it is rather difficult to get Indian girls cast in such roles. In order to find the ones we did, we had a massive flyering campaign at the universities (Pitt and CMU). I don't know how many Indian college girls there are in Portland, but between undergrad and graduate, there are probably a couple thousand in Pittsburgh. But we got very few responses, and some of them wound up ghosting us before the audition or even *after* the audition (this happened twice). Indian cultural organizations were unhelpful, and bhangra dance teams (you know, with the fit girls who like to wear spandex?) weren't much better. We were blocked from tabling at dance team competitions, so I gave up on that idea.

A year after Nupur has left for NYC to become a pro actress (she's still in touch with us and will play her role at any NYC Comicons), we still haven't found a replacement to fill the boots of Arogya. Sana has been doing great as Kaliyuga, though. I really want to reactivate Arogya, as we left her "identity reveal" open-ended in Episode 20 (she has "gone into hiding" because of it) so we'll see if the latest campus flyering push works any better.

Anyway...I wanted to give a chance to the SHIP fanbase to cite any more instances of South Asian heroines in Western SHIP videos (Desi-American, Desi-Canadian, Desi-Australian, British-Indian, etc.) that I may have missed. Although there is an entire Indian category on Clips4sale, I couldn't find any there, either.

Anyone have any additions to this list?
albinoflamingoes
Neophyte
Neophyte

https://www.clips4sale.com/studio/44267 ... hd1080-mp4

Only other superheroine related video I've ever seen with a south asian woman.

Wish there were more south asian women in SHIP, they are really rare in the genre which sucks because they're some of the finest girls out there.
shevek
Producer
Producer

albinoflamingoes wrote:
7 months ago

Wish there were more south asian women in SHIP, they are really rare in the genre which sucks because they're some of the finest girls out there.
Wow, you dug deep for that one!
Hadn't heard of Mandy Candy before.
Just imagine that in a costume.
mandy candy 1.jpg
mandy candy 1.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 1347 times
Anything else people have seen and heard?
shevek
Producer
Producer

albinoflamingoes wrote:
7 months ago

Well...here's one reason why they might be rare in this genre.

This is the first time I've encountered such a thing, because it didn't happen (at least not that I'm aware of) with the other Indian actresses, but I just auditioned a PhD student (age 25-26) who is a fully grown and quite beautiful woman who can supposedly make her own decisions living in Pittsburgh more than 8,000 miles away from her birthplace in Maharashtra, and yet, after passing the audition with flying colors, she is taking several days to decide whether to take the role because SHE HAS TO ASK HER PARENTS FOR PERMISSION. Presumably because her parents pay for her education? But maybe it's also cultural. Someone from India can probably advise me on this.

In any case, fingers crossed, because she is a winner! We'll see.....
albinoflamingoes
Neophyte
Neophyte

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
albinoflamingoes wrote:
7 months ago

This is the first time I've encountered such a thing, because it didn't happen (at least not that I'm aware of) with the other Indian actresses, but I just auditioned a PhD student (age 25-26) who is a fully grown and quite beautiful woman who can supposedly make her own decisions living in Pittsburgh more than 8,000 miles away from her birthplace in Maharashtra, and yet, after passing the audition with flying colors, she is taking several days to decide whether to take the role because SHE HAS TO ASK HER PARENTS FOR PERMISSION. Presumably because her parents pay for her education? But maybe it's also cultural. Someone from India can probably advise me on this.

Any updates on this one?
shevek
Producer
Producer

albinoflamingoes wrote:
5 months ago
shevek wrote:
6 months ago
albinoflamingoes wrote:
7 months ago

Any updates on this one?
Yes. She got permission, passed the audition, and joined the roster as our new Arogya.
We posted her intro video a few weeks ago on our Youtube channel,
and tonight, we did our first shoot with her, which will appear in Episode 23 early next year.

Meet Raina!
arogya transformation sequence.jpg
arogya transformation sequence.jpg (218.16 KiB) Viewed 691 times
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

shevek wrote:
6 months ago
albinoflamingoes wrote:
7 months ago

I would assume it is at least in parts cultural. Indian culture seems in many ways quite different from western culture. I've got many Indian collegues. Within the last couple of years, three of my (male) Indian collegues traveled home to marry. All three marriages were arranged by the parents. One of them had never met his bride before in person! And neither of the other two had really been in a relationship with their future wife either, or even just dated them (though I do not know how well they knew the women respectively).
Though this is of course slightly different from a woman asking her parents' permission for a photo shoot, it indicates the higher influence parents have on their adult children,