Davies proves he is no Letts

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The latest DR Who is continuing the same Woke garbage of Chris Chibnal.

David Tennant is following Patrick Stewart steps in thumbing his nose at the longtime fans
lionbadger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I'm not sure if it is that it has gone too american or whether it has just been on constantly for too long, bringing back Tennant is pretty desperate though
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

lionbadger wrote:
4 months ago
I'm not sure if it is that it has gone too american or whether it has just been on constantly for too long, bringing back Tennant is pretty desperate though
Tennant and Tate coming back reeks of desperation. Although most long time fans I know think donna Noble is one of the worst companions in the history of the show.

I don't think DR Who has become too American, it has become too Woke, witness Donna's daughter lecturing Tennant's Doctor on proper pronouns.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
lionbadger wrote:
4 months ago
Tennant and Tate coming back reeks of desperation. Although most long time fans I know think donna Noble is one of the worst companions in the history of the show.

I don't think DR Who has become too American, it has become too Woke, witness Donna's daughter lecturing Tennant's Doctor on proper pronouns.
Unfortunately, that *does* mean it has become too American. Our academia is where all of that metastasized.

Anyway, yes, I watched Star Beast and I hope to catch Wild Blue Yonder by the end of the weekend, but yes, it's terrible.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago

I've read and heard Brits and French claim that woke is an American contaminant.

As for the show... isn't it just dead anyway. Really how many Sauntaran encounters or "oh its the Daleks behind it all" can you have?

Same with Star Wars and Star Trek.

Its not get woke, go broke. Its gone bad, went woke. Woke is just the termites you see on the floor knowing your walls are rotted.

Also the left always hijacks something that is decades old after its worn out. They never make anything new and their ideas are always decades out of date. Dr. Who is an old, stiff sock at this point. The appeal of the old shows were they had zero budget so they had to have some kind of enthralling story.

I think Godzilla Minus One is showing you can make something better with a $50 mil budget since you need a story.
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:
4 months ago
Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago

Its not get woke, go broke. Its gone bad, went woke. Woke is just the termites you see on the floor knowing your walls are rotted.

Also the left always hijacks something that is decades old after its worn out. They never make anything new and their ideas are always decades out of date.
I've been hearing opinions like this for decades of online discourse now and it ignores the real cause of this. Lots of leftist are creatives, I'd honestly argue that leftist/liberals tend to be more creative than conservatives based on the simple nature of being willing to take a chance on something culturally new while conservatives, well they conserve, they stick to their guns, the opposite of innovation.

The problem is the current state of the entertainment industry. With every production being a multi-million dollar investment, investors want to know their investment was a safe bet. So if you can sell them on an established property, well that's already a proven money maker right? Just make it make money again.

But you can't just make the same product all over again. It doesn't incentivize people to watch and from a creative and professional standpoint you're pressured to make the production your own in some way. This is especially true for writers from what I hear because even if you're handed a perfect script, you have to make SOME kind of change to it if you want your writing credit.

So you've got creative people, forced to work on existing properties to make ends meet while they'd rather be working on their own material that most likely won't get greenlit because it's not an existing property. This breeds by the book adaptions where the biggest changes are usually just race swaps or bits of modern cultural commentary coming from people who would rather be doing anything else.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Liberals are not woke or necessarily progressive. There is a difference. Liberal is about the cause. Progressive is about the fight. Yeah all comedians are mostly liberal but woke are not liberal. They are the new hegemony that replaced the conservative xtian power base. They are the new church ladies and social police.

Those creative people can make something new. They aren't stuck in a rut by old grandpa conservatives. Disney is woke run... they could easily make something new. But we had this in the old days - God messages shoved into everything and people got sick of it. Now its woke messages.

If Babylon 5 could be made in the glory days of Trek, Star Wars and Galactica then people can make new things.

Plus look at Godzilla minus one. Huge success with a $50 mil budget. And Godzilla origin stories have been done over and over.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Creative people can make new things, and they still do - even the conservative ones, believe it or not. Many of them simply choose not to.

It's not like working on existing old chestnut properties is always even that lucrative - there are progressive writers working on Big 2 comic book titles who are nickel-and-dimed by the huge corporation and beg for money on GoFundMe. The truth is that these people *choose* to destroy established properties from within, not just because of spite and resentment, but also because they were immersed for the past two decades in an academic ideology that praises them for doing so, and to some extent, they are just simply following marching orders. It's not just the creators, it's also the editors who are in lockstep and give the green light for these properties to be decimated.

[A good example is Meghan Fitzmartin's utter disrespect to Peter David on last year's Dark Crisis: Young Justice mini-series, to which we have a direct connection because our cover artist colored the original epic David/Nauck run which has recently been collected as a monumental omnibus. See if you can get through Fitzmartin's six issues without retching.]

As far as Europeans blaming 'woke' for being an American disease - they are correct, because it is. Intersectionalism and CRT was born in America.
But the Europeans aren't blameless themselves: these ideas were adapted from the neo-Marxist Frankfurt School, which concluded that since Western capitalism was economically successful, it couldn't be destroyed financially (workers would never 'rise up') and had to be attacked from a sociopolitical and cultural angle instead (academia, media, entertainment, etc). Herbert Marcuse moved to the U.S. and spread the message, and Antonio Gramsci was revered in American universities. And Yuri Bezmenov long ago warned us this was coming.

I can't wait to check Godzilla Minus One - it seems to be a rare bright spot. Also, I watched much of Wild Blue Yonder last night but fell asleep about two-thirds of the way through, so I'll finish it later this week.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Sure, why not. Heck its all burned down anyway.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Mr. X wrote:
4 months ago
Liberals are not woke or necessarily progressive. There is a difference. Liberal is about the cause. Progressive is about the fight. Yeah all comedians are mostly liberal but woke are not liberal. They are the new hegemony that replaced the conservative xtian power base. They are the new church ladies and social police.

Those creative people can make something new. They aren't stuck in a rut by old grandpa conservatives. Disney is woke run... they could easily make something new. But we had this in the old days - God messages shoved into everything and people got sick of it. Now its woke messages.

If Babylon 5 could be made in the glory days of Trek, Star Wars and Galactica then people can make new things.

Plus look at Godzilla minus one. Huge success with a $50 mil budget. And Godzilla origin stories have been done over and over.
There is a different between liberal and Woke

liberal does not try to indotrinate or tear down someone else.

As with Star Wars, the producers of New Who have been tearing down Classic and whenever possible tearing down anything resembling the patriarchy. Just look at Whittaker's last seriel. No males in heroic roles. or this dumpster fire, The Doctor being corrected on pronouns.

Can anyone imagine the Tom Baker Doctor tolerating that from some smug Woke idiot
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:
4 months ago

Calling Disney woke run is hilarious. I seriously doubt Bob Iger is deep in left wing political discourse. Disney is run by money, they do what they think will be profitable. Younger people tend to have more liberal/woke politics and so they try to appeal to that market while also appealing to the older market by constantly adapting established properties. This isn't unique to Disney, it's been industry standard for like the last twenty years.

It's not that the big companies can't make new properties, it's that economically, why would you take a bunch of risk on new properties when you have time tested brands you can fuck around with instead? It also looks good to the shareholders, let's them know their money is going into something that worked before. So while new things do get made, the entertainment industry has been heavily influenced by the economic pressure of investing in the time tested properties and it breeds a creative environment a lot of fans and creatives find toxic.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

ThatOnePervert wrote:
4 months ago
It's not that the big companies can't make new properties, it's that economically, why would you take a bunch of risk on new properties when you have time tested brands you can fuck around with instead?

Yet nearly every profitable franchise came from a small budget risk. Star Wars for example. Star Trek was a low budget TV show. Heck Godzilla -1 was only $15 mil.

Yes you can use old franchises IF you keep to the franchise. For example I doubt Twilight fans would want a bunch of Jesus messages inundating their material. The Marvels is an example of trying to us special FX and woke items vs telling a story. They could have made that movie with $50 mil if they had a compelling story.

In fact this is the infuriating part. How does Disney mess up a golden franchise... just do the characters. Give us Hulk smash. Give us Superman saving people. But instead we get these characters changed and a bunch of side characters. Can't wait for the new Stiltman or Condiment King story.
Last edited by Mr. X 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Dazzle1 wrote:
4 months ago
The latest DR Who is continuing the same Woke garbage of Chris Chibnal.

David Tennant is following Patrick Stewart steps in thumbing his nose at the longtime fans
Davies is doubeling down on his support of Chibnal.

Trashing the Classic era saying he wanted a less pompous Doctor.

Well for me, I want my pompus Tom Baker or John Pewtree