How is Wonder Woman's power in TV Show?

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
DENNISLAID
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

WW TV show is definitely a classic portrayal of Wonder Woman, and I've been a fan since I was a kid. However her power seems to vary pretty much in episodes.
For example, in Season 2, Episode 17, she runs to the IADC building at nearly 1000 km/h, three times the speed of sound. Yet, in many other episodes, she struggles to catch up to a speeding car or bus. Similarly, while she can easily deflect bullets with her quick reaction time, but she could not run from the gas in front of her in many eposides. In the last eposide of S1, her belt was even removed by normal men in human speed.
This issue also exist in invulnerablity, in S2E9, "The Man Who Could Move the World," she withstands a nuclear beam that could cause damage equivalent to a volcano eruption. However, in other episodes, she is defeated by something as mundane as chloroform.
So, how would you define her powers(strength, speed...) in TV show?
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

The power levels of superheroes tend to vary depending on the story the writers are trying to tell. This is true in the comic books and true in most superhero shows on TV and movies, and the Wonder Woman TV show is no exception. Though of course we do prefer it when they have vulnerabilities and can be defeated once in a while. 😁
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
sneakly
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

She just has to be slow/weak enough get tied up... Smart enough to decode all the clues and dumb enough to walk in a trap.... Unlucky enough to be dumped it a death trap and lucky enough to be rescued or escape.

Logic was never the main driver in a TV show (or comic) that put a beautiful, large breasted woman from a feminist island in a bathing suit and heels to fight crime.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

sneakly wrote:
3 weeks ago
She just has to be slow/weak enough get tied up... Smart enough to decode all the clues and dumb enough to walk in a trap.... Unlucky enough to be dumped it a death trap and lucky enough to be rescued or escape.

Logic was never the main driver in a TV show (or comic) that put a beautiful, large breasted woman from a feminist island in a bathing suit and heels to fight crime.
Perfectly said. :lynda1:

I see it as her powers are Plot Driven.

:ww1:
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Continuity and consistency are never important in television or movies. They interfere with whatever junk a writer and/or director wants to do. :)
TheVillain
Neophyte Lvl 4
Neophyte Lvl 4

Exactly..the powers of a character depend on the writer..that is why I find hilarous all the debate about super1 vs super2, who is stronger blablabla...depend on the politics also.
:lynda1: "Remove .. my magic belt"..
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DENNISLAID wrote:
3 weeks ago
WW TV show is definitely a classic portrayal of Wonder Woman, and I've been a fan since I was a kid. However her power seems to vary pretty much in episodes.
For example, in Season 2, Episode 17, she runs to the IADC building at nearly 1000 km/h, three times the speed of sound. Yet, in many other episodes, she struggles to catch up to a speeding car or bus. Similarly, while she can easily deflect bullets with her quick reaction time, but she could not run from the gas in front of her in many eposides. In the last eposide of S1, her belt was even removed by normal men in human speed.
This issue also exist in invulnerablity, in S2E9, "The Man Who Could Move the World," she withstands a nuclear beam that could cause damage equivalent to a volcano eruption. However, in other episodes, she is defeated by something as mundane as chloroform.
So, how would you define her powers(strength, speed...) in TV show?
She was less powerful in the first season(the best season as far as bondage)

In the following seasons it depended on the writer
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

She was more powerful in the first season breaking Gargantua's bearhug, but couldn't against Carl in the Pied Piper episode.

The first season had the best fight scenes and peril except against the Toymaker's version of her.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

In the Man Who Made Volcanoes, she used her body to stop the weapon that created volcanoes which kinda made her "bullets and bracelets" redundant if you think about it.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 weeks ago
She was more powerful in the first season breaking Gargantua's bearhug, but couldn't against Carl in the Pied Piper episode.

The first season had the best fight scenes and peril except against the Toymaker's version of her.
That could be she didn't want to break his arms like Superman always pulling his punches.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

brdiy wrote:
3 weeks ago
In the Man Who Made Volcanoes, she used her body to stop the weapon that created volcanoes which kinda made her "bullets and bracelets" redundant if you think about it.
My personal explanation for that was that the beam wasn't focused on her when she was ten feet in front of it, so instead of getting incinerated, she just glowed all over and scattered the energy.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 weeks ago

She was toying with Carl.

Stella Stevens actually got some good shots in in the first episode
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Or maybe she was just caught by surprise not expecting Carl to do such a move (twice!). She did easily defeat him after she got out of his grip.

Though part of me was rooting for Carl in this scene. 😅

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Visitor wrote:
3 weeks ago

I think that's more due to her not wanting to break his arms in the process. Kind of like if a 3 year old wraps their arms around your leg yes you can easily remove them but at full strength you'd probably injure them.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

C'mon it was a fricken' eye candy show. You could question why the crooks didn't just snipe her. And of course when they do KO her it doesn't turn into a Brazzers video.
CIA
Sargeant
Sargeant

Her power is the mighty power of the pussy. Break her sexually and she's as weak as a kitten.
shevek
Producer
Producer

The Pigface song came out in 1992, and the Q Magazine cover (Bjork, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos) didn't come out until 1994, but the refrain is the same:

HIPS, TITS, LIPS, POWER.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

Her powers were limited by two things:
  • The special effects of the time.
  • The amount and types of violence the networks were willing to allow.
Which is why she did so much jumping over buildings, and deflecting bullets, but rarely used the Invisible Jet.

The networks limited the number of fistfights she could get into, which is why she tended to just toss people around.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I would add it was limited by what they could get Carter to do. I think she put an end to the KO scenes though she's done a fair amount of bondage scenes in her career. Nearly every series and special movie she was in she got tied up in some way.

Could also have been pressure to show women always in a good light.
sneakly
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Television programs are made to titillate. Show cleavage, some legs and some jiggle. They don't they are made to attract eyeballs because eyeballs attract advertisers. Too controversial and they end up getting the axe. Batgirl, Emma Peel, Honey West, Wonder Woman had a lot more leeway when it came to getting tied up or gassed on the public airways than today. To put a woman in a bathing suit to fight crime today would be a tall order. You can't just send them to the beach anymore. The days of Bay Watch and Acapulco HEAT are gone, sadly crime fighters will no longer go to seedy bondage clubs like the good old days of Silk Stalkings....

The good news is these things are cyclic in nature and they will come around again.... But I wouldn't expect Gal Gadot to get gassed or chloroformed in the near future.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Mr. X wrote:
3 days ago
I would add it was limited by what they could get Carter to do. I think she put an end to the KO scenes though she's done a fair amount of bondage scenes in her career. Nearly every series and special movie she was in she got tied up in some way.

Could also have been pressure to show women always in a good light.
This. Bondage and peril were still pretty common even until the 90's. Unfortunately for us, apparently , Lynda and her husband did not want this for Wonder Woman. Such a shame as this should have lasted up to 5 seasons or more had it followed the ABC Season formula (but with the CBS costume 😜).