Nicolas Cage As Superman?

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Nicolas Cage was paid 20 million dollars for playing Superman, even though he never played Superman.

As one of the many potential fifth installments in the Superman series, Superman Lives began in 1996 when Kevin Smith pitched a story outline. Producer Jon Peters had some pretty strange ideas in mind though. He wanted Superman to wear an all black suit, not fly, and fight a giant spider. Peters also wanted Lex Luthor to have a space dog, because “[Chewbacca is] cuddly, man. You could make a toy out of him, so you’ve got to give me a dog.”

His love of Star Wars produced another idea, of a character he called “a gay R2-D2 with attitude.” Needless to say, the movie wasn’t in great shape from the start. After numerous casting selection changes, Nicolas Cage was picked to be Superman. Cage signed on with a 20 million dollar “pay or play” contract, basically meaning he would be paid regardless. Tim Burton was signed to direct on a similar deal, with only 5 million instead.

Cage felt he could “re-conceive the character,” and Peters thought Cage could “convince the audiences he came from outer space.” Even Tim Burton chimed in saying Cage playing Superman would be “the first time you would believe that nobody could recognize Clark Kent as Superman.” The project was riddled with problems, and in 2000, Nicolas Cage dropped out, taking 20 million dollars with him. Amazing how much someone can be paid to do nothing, isn’t it?
(SOURCE OMG-FACTS.COM
Attachments
793735_584914984870474_408986162_o.jpg
793735_584914984870474_408986162_o.jpg (89 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah I read an article from one of the producers about that whole trainwreck. so many deconstructionists and "reimagers" bastardizing the character that they didn't know what they had. At one point krypton was going to have some giant "death star" and Superman was going to be beaten up by other kryptonians. His S was going to be whirring blades that came off the suit and sliced up people. Then the author said "WTF ARE WE DOING?! THIS ISN'T SUPERMAN!" and the project snapped back to its roots.

As someone who has been in the "entertainment" industry professionally for over 20 years there is A LOT of deconstructionism and reimaging going on. Instead of creating new works and new ideas, cheap minded people simply tear apart an existing idea "to shake things up" but to really just be lazy thinkers and tear down things. Some reimages work (latest Batman movies, Bill Bixby's incredible hulk) but a lot are just deconstructionist fails.

I actually liked Superman Returns. I thought I'd hate it but I walked out of the movie thinking this is a great mans movie.
cannonfodder
Henchman
Henchman

Nick Cage needs to be kept away from comic book movies at all costs! Many are already bad without his contribution.
Dr.Morticus
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:Yeah I read an article from one of the producers about that whole trainwreck. so many deconstructionists and "reimagers" bastardizing the character that they didn't know what they had. At one point krypton was going to have some giant "death star" and Superman was going to be beaten up by other kryptonians. His S was going to be whirring blades that came off the suit and sliced up people. Then the author said "WTF ARE WE DOING?! THIS ISN'T SUPERMAN!" and the project snapped back to its roots.

As someone who has been in the "entertainment" industry professionally for over 20 years there is A LOT of deconstructionism and reimaging going on. Instead of creating new works and new ideas, cheap minded people simply tear apart an existing idea "to shake things up" but to really just be lazy thinkers and tear down things. Some reimages work (latest Batman movies, Bill Bixby's incredible hulk) but a lot are just deconstructionist fails.

I actually liked Superman Returns. I thought I'd hate it but I walked out of the movie thinking this is a great mans movie.
I agree Mr. X

I also loved the Superman Returns film and thought it was done well. The only thing I didn't like was it was supposed to be right after the original movies, but the new "growing" kryptonite made me wonder why Lex's secret hide out didn't explode when he tossed superman into that book with kryptonite around his neck! lol I choose to ignore the silly over sight and enjoy the movie any how.

Some movies (Dare Devil) I can't enjoy no matter how I try... :no:

The Dark Lord Returns -Ruby Guardian Now On Sale! (SHG-Media)
Millenium Member

I thought the "returns" movie took place between the second and third movie. Also the kryptonite was growing because Luthor stole the crystal that grew the fortress of solitude and that crystal makes anything around it "grow". Kryptonite itself doesn't grow.
Dr.Morticus
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:I thought the "returns" movie took place between the second and third movie. Also the kryptonite was growing because Luthor stole the crystal that grew the fortress of solitude and that crystal makes anything around it "grow". Kryptonite itself doesn't grow.
Well that makes more sense then. I tend to forget about the movies past Superman II as I felt they got really goofy. Either way I was a fan of the Returns movie and liked the actor that played Superman. I saw "The Man of Steel" has a new superman. It looks promising though.

The Dark Lord Returns -Ruby Guardian Now On Sale! (SHG-Media)
Elder Member

Image Image Image Image
I heard about this disaster averted as well.
http://www.google.com/search?q=nicolas+ ... e+superman
I LOVE seeing sexy women in Pantyhose, skin tight Spandex, Tights, Leggings, Unitards, Catsuit, BodyStockings, Gloves, Masks and sexy seductive Role Playing Peril! Go to https://www.deviantart.com/darkshadevillain for more!