Mary Marvel Needs Some Love

General discussions about superheroines!
metalgearzeta
Henchman
Henchman

I was just browsing around the net for some unnoticed superheroine bondage - and ran across a great shot of a Mary Marvel cosplay. It dawned on me - Mary Batson was CONSTANTLY tied up and gagged in her comics along with those she shared with the rest of the Marvel Family.

I don't think I've EVER seen a producer take this one on - it's always the same old superheroines, especially Batgirl (not that I'm complaining). Knottyguy is one of the best producers for using underappreciated superheroines like his recent Lady Starhawk video.

Just food for thought I suppose. She'd be an awesome character - lots of cheesy lines and camp to be had.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

My issue with the whole Mary Batson thing is she's tied up not in costume and when she's in costume she's pretty much undefeatable ie has the powers of supergirl with none of the weaknesses. Now maybe someone can contrive some weakness for Mary Marvel but for the most part the fun, naughty stuff seems to occur when she's not in costume.

maybe someone could hypnotize Mary Batson into thinking rope takes away her powers so when she transforms she can't break rope.
metalgearzeta
Henchman
Henchman

You got it, Mr. X - if a dinky ass green crystal can shut Supergirl down, what's to stop Black Adam from conjuring up some pseudo-greek submission spell?
RedMountain
Overlord
Overlord

Mary Marvel has been thrashed or blasted a few times in the comics, she is not undefeatable and can still be chloroformed and what not. :hmmm:
Gus Goreman, Jr.
Henchman
Henchman

I like Mary Marvel way more than Supergirl and I don't like that white and gold (yellow) costume at all.
knottyguy
Producer
Producer

metalgearzeta wrote:I was just browsing around the net for some unnoticed superheroine bondage - and ran across a great shot of a Mary Marvel cosplay. It dawned on me - Mary Batson was CONSTANTLY tied up and gagged in her comics along with those she shared with the rest of the Marvel Family.

I don't think I've EVER seen a producer take this one on - it's always the same old superheroines, especially Batgirl (not that I'm complaining). Knottyguy is one of the best producers for using underappreciated superheroines like his recent Lady Starhawk video.

Just food for thought I suppose. She'd be an awesome character - lots of cheesy lines and camp to be had.

Thanks. incidentally I have done a Mary Marvel/Green Lanterness vid a while ago starring Anna as Mary Marvel and who better to play Mary than the Beautiful Anna. I have a final chapter to the whole Dark Adam and the sword of power saga That involves Mary Marvel, Supergirl, and Powergirl but I have to get Anna back here and coordinate it with 2 other models that fit the other characters. Stuff like this is a pain in the ass in my area. I had it set up last fall but it fell through at the last minute. Maybe someday, hopefully!
As knotty as I wanna be! http://www.clips4sale.com/store/10033
knottyguy
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:My issue with the whole Mary Batson thing is she's tied up not in costume and when she's in costume she's pretty much undefeatable ie has the powers of supergirl with none of the weaknesses. Now maybe someone can contrive some weakness for Mary Marvel but for the most part the fun, naughty stuff seems to occur when she's not in costume.

maybe someone could hypnotize Mary Batson into thinking rope takes away her powers so when she transforms she can't break rope.
Funny thing about Mary is that even though she is as strong as Supergirl she can be tied up with rope. It happened a few times in the comics and the cartoon. I have one comic that jumps to mind where she and CM jr are tied and gagged to a rocket flying through the air.

Of course you can also play on having her powers cut when the other marvels tap into the magic. She's only at 1/3 strength when all 3 are transformed.
Last edited by knottyguy 10 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Gus Goreman, Jr.
Henchman
Henchman

I think Mary Marvel could also be knocked unconscious if she was hit at the base of skull.

Interesting note, I may have had something to do with the shared powers in "Power of Shazam". I was interning at DC with Mike Carlin & Chris Duffy and asked why Freddy wouldn't stay Captain Marvel, Jr. all the time. I'm sure the question had been raises before but they were about to reintroduce the character and had to come up with an explanation. It was pretty cool ideal but I think they dropped that angle once they cancelled the book.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So does Black Adam share the power since he too transforms using Shazam?
knottyguy
Producer
Producer

No.Ithink it's because Shazam gave the power to Billy. Mary and Freddy got it from him so they share his power. Teth was a separate spell (or whatever ) from Shazam.
harriertalon
Henchman
Henchman

I think another reason some may stay away from using Mary (if they stay true to the canon) is that when she's not Mary, she's an underaged kid. The whole idea of tying her up and gagging her was to prevent her from saying the magic words, and a good portion of the time that happened when she was in "little kid" form. I...can't see any of our erstwhile producers going that route. :)

Of course, the easy route around that is to just ignore it and make Mary a perfectly legal babe when out of costume. As to weaknesses - Mary is a creature of magic, which is why she and her brother can pound the dogsnot out of Superman/Supergirl. That's also her weakness - she's highly susceptible to magic-based attacks. Get a Circe to conjure up a hypnosis spell, or a weakness spell, or whatever spell is needed, and she's just as vulnerable to it as the next person.

And, to summarize, YES...we need more Mary! :)
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

If you look through Greek mythology there are plenty of creatures who could give her a hard time... the Sphinx, Cerberus, Morpheus, the Cockatrice, Typhon... There could be magic artifacts that perform the same function as kryptonite, neutralizing her powers or doing weird things to her. I've got an All-Star Squadron comic where Green Lantern's ring worked just fine on Marvel Junior (this was the original GL, the one based on magic).

Picture this: Mary Batson is just stepping out of the shower. She wraps a towel around herself, looks in the mirror to do her makeup, and she hears a report of a bank robbery on the radio. She says the magic word Shazam and flies to the rescue. The villain turns out to be a sorceror of some kind. Marvel tussels with his henchmen, but they don't stand a chance. Just when it looks like she's going to win, the villain brings out his ace in the hole, The Orb Of Omiggodo! It shoots out a blue lightning bolt that turns her BACK into Mary Batson, still dressed in nothing but a towel! The thugs grab her and shove a gag in her mouth before she can say Shazam again...