The copy-pocalypse?

General discussions about superheroines!
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

The copyright apocalypse that is.

So with heroine power experiencing a takedown notice from DC, the question arises was this inevitable with live action versions of DC characters coming to big and small screens?

Perhaps time to see more original characters in the SHIP genre?

Going to be an interesting few weeks......
Last edited by swampy170 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

What's been taken down recently? I remember a long time ago there was a skirmish between Superheroine Central and DC over their American Fox video and it was removed to never be seen again, but nothing recently.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Which producers have been hit? I would be interested to see whether the full-on Supergirl, Batgirl and Wonder Woman parodies are treated any differently from DC-inspired characters such as Superia, DarkWing and Wonderful Girl?
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

I'm gonna have to side with frankzito on this one..i haven't anything on that recently either
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
LeeCarl
Producer
Producer

edit
Last edited by LeeCarl 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
https://twitter.com/LeeCarlProducti

"Dark Maiden: The Trap" now available at SHG-Media.com!
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

LeeCarl wrote:All of SHG has been hit. I have taken down Crisis from both SHG and Nicheclips as a precaution. For the time being, Emerald Avenger is still available.
Whoa..i just saw that all of the Ryes' Superiorgirl films were taken down. That's sucks :thumbsdown:
:supes: Watch all of W.O.N/MMP's Superheroine World Underwater Peril Fan Film Series, only on W.O.N Cinema YouTube Channel: www.youtube.com/woncinema
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm curious if that's DC or just someone calling to screw with a competitor. At SHC we had the American Fox issue (she looked NOTHING like Wonder Woman) and we took it down to be safe but we weren't sure if it was really a lawyer or just someone pretending or someone called DC and complained. Since Batman V Superman (Goku vs Vegeta) is coming out I would imagine DC wants to reign in DC abuse especially since WW is in the movie.

That's why I posted a while back why I found it odd so many producers were using flat out copies of DC and Marvel characters as their money makers. Sooner or later this stuff catches up. It would be nice to determine if this is real or just fake take downs.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:I'm curious if that's DC or just someone calling to screw with a competitor. At SHC we had the American Fox issue (she looked NOTHING like Wonder Woman) and we took it down to be safe but we weren't sure if it was really a lawyer or just someone pretending or someone called DC and complained. Since Batman V Superman (Goku vs Vegeta) is coming out I would imagine DC wants to reign in DC abuse especially since WW is in the movie.

That's why I posted a while back why I found it odd so many producers were using flat out copies of DC and Marvel characters as their money makers. Sooner or later this stuff catches up. It would be nice to determine if this is real or just fake take downs.
I'm curious too..cause why would DC/Warner Bros. all of a sudden start sending take down notices after all these years to the producers. Doesn't sound right.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

jimbobklyn5 wrote:
I'm curious too..cause why would DC/Warner Bros. all of a sudden start sending take down notices after all these years to the producers. Doesn't sound right.

Actually makes sense to me. NOW they have a vested interest. Plus they don't want to lose control. If Supergirl ends up unchallenged too long one could argue that its become public and DC abandoned the property.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:

Actually makes sense to me. NOW they have a vested interest. Plus they don't want to lose control. If Supergirl ends up unchallenged too long one could argue that its become public and DC abandoned the property.
Well for me, my Supergirl Fan Films are non-profit (amateurish in a way) and I'm not making any money on it and are on YouTube..So I'm safe there. But now, what I'm interested in is..what will happen to all of the films that were taken down from SHG? Will we ever see them again? And what does that means for producers/future producers of this genre?
gyang333
Henchman
Henchman

I noticed that some of the missing videos on SHG-media aren't even DC characters? The latest Marvel Enslaved is one example from TBFE, isn't that Marvel and not DC?

And if it's actually DC how come the latest Punished Heroines release from Rye is still up? Seems very random.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

gyang333 wrote:I noticed that some of the missing videos on SHG-media aren't even DC characters? The latest Marvel Enslaved is one example from TBFE, isn't that Marvel and not DC?

And if it's actually DC how come the latest Punished Heroines release from Rye is still up? Seems very random.
I checked out that too. plus..over at TBFE...The SG film with Cassidy and a wonder woman parody film is still up on that site too. its seems fishy. plus..over at heroine movie..all of the articles that have to do with Rye's Superiorgirl films are no longer on that site as well. Something's gotta give. It seems like Rye's films were hit the hardest.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

And I noticed a few days ago the wondergirlz.com site is being reworked with different pics on the cover page....perhaps because of the supposed DC crackdown?
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Usually the way it works is they take one poor producer and burn them on a cross and that scares everyone else.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

avenger wrote:And I noticed a few days ago the wondergirlz.com site is being reworked with different pics on the cover page....perhaps because of the supposed DC crackdown?
isn't that wondergirlz.com site related to SHG-Media.com, avenger?
LordSnot
Henchman
Henchman

Dammit! Was just gonna buy Super Nightmare III at SHG now its gone!
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Not sure jimbobklyn5, just saw the site was getting a make over, and the superherogirl site is gone completely
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

avenger wrote:Not sure jimbobklyn5, just saw the site was getting a make over, and the superherogirl site is gone completely
funny thing, I think all of this occurred back in late June..there was a previous post at the lounge entitled "Lost Or Gone" take a look at it.
http://superheroineforum.com/viewtopic. ... 36#p103536

Rye responded to someones question about his movies that are missing at SHG and he said and and I quote " I have close to 30 titles that aren't currently for sale including that one. Certain movies will be coming back and some will be exclusively offered through a new website that I haven't announced yet"

Now I'm not sure..if it was a DC crackdown or maybe a parting of ways from SHG Media. But i certainly hope that whatever site Rye posts up his Superiorgirl videos and etc projects...i hope those videos are available.

I also notice that most of Alex david's videos are gone too.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

so we haven't actually found out if this is a DC take down issue or that a producer maybe parting ways with a partner or something like that.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:so we haven't actually found out if this is a DC take down issue or that a producer maybe parting ways with a partner or something like that.
that's what I'm thinking...I'm not sure at all if it was a DC takedown or not. To me..it doesn't look like it. All i know is that all Alex David films that touch on DC parody characters and Rye's films that touch on DC parade character are not on that SHG site anymore.

To me..its started to sound like the producers decided to part ways with SHG. This is just my opinion..I'm dealing in only speculation..cause over at TBFE..which seems to be connected to SHG media..still has DC parody film still up and running on the site.
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

This seems like an overeaction if it's a response to a DMCA takedown notice. Especially because Vivid has made huge money with their superhero parodies. Parodies which have been featured in media outlets like ComicsAlliance where DC people read it, and (to my knowledge anyway) haven't been challenged by DC.

So, I hope the producers fight this with better labeling that it's a parody. I'd hate to see a lot of the videos on SHG gone for a long time because they have some great stuff. And I'd hate to see this spill over into Clips4Sale / Nicheclips where superheroine stuff starts getting zapped by overzealous attorneys who want to bully people who don't know their rights under the DMCA and copyright law.
kingles
Sargeant
Sargeant

Mr. X wrote:so we haven't actually found out if this is a DC take down issue or that a producer maybe parting ways with a partner or something like that.
If it was just Rye I'd buy this, but it appears TBFE, Alex David, and SHF have taken down a number of videos. It would seem like SHG got warned and they filtered it down to the producers who distribute through them. That's what I got out of what Lee Carl said anyway.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

I was meaning about Heroinepower.com -
Last edited by swampy170 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

frankzito wrote:This seems like an overeaction if it's a response to a DMCA takedown notice. Especially because Vivid has made huge money with their superhero parodies. Parodies which have been featured in media outlets like ComicsAlliance where DC people read it, and (to my knowledge anyway) haven't been challenged by DC.

So, I hope the producers fight this with better labeling that it's a parody. I'd hate to see a lot of the videos on SHG gone for a long time because they have some great stuff. And I'd hate to see this spill over into Clips4Sale / Nicheclips where superheroine stuff starts getting zapped by overzealous attorneys who want to bully people who don't know their rights under the DMCA and copyright law.
I doubt that it will spill over to clips4sale and etc. I certainly would like to know whats going on...it seems like this started in the last week of June and when I keep that thread entitled "lost & found" I get more and more of the sense that it could be an overreaction or simply the producers decided to part ways. We don't know..these are all guesses and speculations. but now, you say that "Vivid has made huge money with their superhero parodies. Parodies which have been featured in media outlets like ComicsAlliance where DC people read it, and (to my knowledge anyway) haven't been challenged by DC."

if that's the case...then to me..its look more and more like SHG parted ways with the producers and that it wasn't a DC takedown. Again, this is just my view and opinion.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

swampy170 wrote:I was meaning about Heroinepower.com -

Wasn't aware SHG had been experiencing issues also. Even bigger than I thought!
Maybe that's why Rye said that he was going to post up his films on his own website.

SHG must be in it deep to their ankles.
LeeCarl
Producer
Producer

I'm not at liberty to say much more. All I'll say is this. I was planning a big Batgirl-inspired 2 part video for later this year, which I may scrap all together. And that is a video that I, as a heroine peril fan, have wanted to make since I started. That should imply how serious this is.

C4S might be a temporary safe haven for DC and Marvel inspired videos, but I'm hesitant to even go there.
Last edited by LeeCarl 8 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
https://twitter.com/LeeCarlProducti

"Dark Maiden: The Trap" now available at SHG-Media.com!
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

LeeCarl wrote:I'm not at liberty to say much more. All I'll say is this. I was planning a big Batgirl-inspired 2 part video for later this year, which I may scrap all together. And that is a video that I, as a heroine peril fan, have wanted to make since I started. That should imply how serious this is.

C4S might be a temporary safe haven for DC and Marvel inspired videos, but I'm hesitant to even go there.
Well...if SHG is in that deep...that could be the only option..unless you build your own website and post up your videos there. its too bad...you can't say much more and its understandable. I know myself and other superheroine peril film fans and producers would certainly would like to know what the situation is with SHG. I kinda knew..something was up..when rye announced that he was going to make his own site and post up his films there. Now, I guess we kinda or kinda of not know why.
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

So, pretty much if you want a superheroine peril film that's DC comics related, you better buy it now.

Fuck.
frankzito
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

LeeCarl wrote:I'm not at liberty to say much more. All I'll say is this. I was planning a big Batgirl-inspired 2 part video for later this year, which I may scrap all together. And that is a video that I, as a heroine peril fan, have wanted to make since I started. That should imply how serious this is.

I can't speak on behalf of SHG or anyone else who sells their products there. But this is how it is effecting me, and that should say something.
I'm a writer away from these boards. Maybe there's a way to re-work the film and still keep it close to what you wanted? PM Me. Happy to help on that front. No charge. I'm pretty pissed about this, so I'd like to do my part.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

kingles wrote:
If it was just Rye I'd buy this, but it appears TBFE, Alex David, and SHF have taken down a number of videos. It would seem like SHG got warned and they filtered it down to the producers who distribute through them. That's what I got out of what Lee Carl said anyway.
but the thing here is that TBFE has there own website and the videos that were taken off of SHG are still available on TBFE's website. Also, heroine power's facebook page said "They're taking down anything they fear might be a trademark infringement! "Temporarily gone" is Victory Woman, Hannah Perez Phantom Lass and our vid with SaraLiz as See-Thru Suzy. I just finished editing a Carissa Marvel video....

We they said "They're" clearly its SHG. they also said "Temporarily gone"

So I have a feeling that SHG must be in some really big legal issue here or something along that line.
swampy170
Elder Member
Elder Member

A word to the wise - if a non profit fanfilm is even partly crowd funded DC have grounds for a cease and desist - that's what brought down the Batgirl Spoiled project. Don't think you're safe just because it's not for profit!

It obviously sucks for the producers who've put time and money into the films.

However, a breath of fresh air with new characters explored will be a positive IMO
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

swampy170 wrote:No reason to doubt LeeCarl when he says it's the whole of SHG. Scary stuff!

A word to the wise - if a non profit fanfilm is even partly crowd funded DC have grounds for a cease and desist - that's what brought down the Batgirl Spoiled project. Don't think you're safe just because it's not for profit!

It obviously sucks for the producers who've put time and money into the films.

However, a breath of fresh air with new characters explored will be a positive IMO
That is true and it is scary. but, somehow..i get the feeling that will find out more details from either the rye or Alex David or Lee Carl when it comes to SHG stuff and the statuses of the past films and future films in the coming weeks when they are able to speak at liberty about this. i think I can speak for everyone on this forum, that this is troublesome and a worrisome situation. Now, as a co-producer for my own youtube fan film parody series..this worries me a lot..but, I'm still gonna continue with my Supergirl Underwater Peril fan Film non-profit Series anyway, no matter what...I've been lucky so far and hope that my streak of luck continues at least until next year or 2017....but i'm going to have to proceed with caution for now on due to the current situation. And if your a producer or co-producer, you really now need to be on the look out and proceed with caution.

this is scary stuff indeed.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

I just did some more investigating and here is what i came up with and you folks and see and notice the difference

Check out the differences between SHG Media's section fro The Battle For Earth films
http://shg-media.com/?pageID=BySeller&owner=BFE

Now check out the Battle Of The Earth's website:
http://www.thebattleforearth.com/

See the difference, SHG has none of the DC and Marvel parody films that TBFE made.
you can draw you own conclusion on what you've seen
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Someone already mentioned it above, but I'm thinking it was petty producer vs. producer inflicted; maybe someone didn't like the way another producer was making the ca$h and they weren't....the mentality of "if I'm going down I'm bringing you with me". Sounds like business pettiness and jealousy instead of a DC crackdown
Gus Goreman, Jr.
Henchman
Henchman

jimbobklyn5 wrote: but the thing here is that TBFE has there own website and the videos that were taken off of SHG are still available on TBFE's website. Also, heroine power's facebook page said "They're taking down anything they fear might be a trademark infringement! "Temporarily gone" is Victory Woman, Hannah Perez Phantom Lass and our vid with SaraLiz as See-Thru Suzy. I just finished editing a Carissa Marvel video....

So I have a feeling that SHG must be in some really big legal issue here or something along that line.
Speaking for heronepower.com

I haven't heard if SHG is in legal trouble. Maybe last week, there was a notice on their admin page that they would be scrubbing anything that was related to a trademarked character. First they changed some of the names of the titles and blurred a few S-shields and then later they dropped all the offending videos. I think this maybe preemptive in case the man from uncle does come knocking on their door
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

avenger wrote:Someone already mentioned it above, but I'm thinking it was petty producer vs. producer inflicted; maybe someone didn't like the way another producer was making the ca$h and they weren't....the mentality of "if I'm going down I'm bringing you with me". Sounds like business pettiness and jealousy instead of a DC crackdown
me too..I'm starting to think that as well.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

Gus Goreman, Jr. wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote: but the thing here is that TBFE has there own website and the videos that were taken off of SHG are still available on TBFE's website. Also, heroine power's facebook page said "They're taking down anything they fear might be a trademark infringement! "Temporarily gone" is Victory Woman, Hannah Perez Phantom Lass and our vid with SaraLiz as See-Thru Suzy. I just finished editing a Carissa Marvel video....

Speaking for heronepower.com

I haven't heard if SHG is in legal trouble. Maybe last week, there was a notice on their admin page that they would be scrubbing anything that was related to a trademarked character. First they changed some of the names of the titles and blurred a few S-shields and then later they dropped all the offending videos. I think this maybe preemptive in case the man from uncle does come knocking on their door
Well..the clue was given by Rye back in June..saying that his future films and past films will be posted on his own website that he's not ready to officially announce yet. That was the clue.

So i don't know..its starting to sound fishy in my view and its starting to look more and more like it wasn't a DC takedown at all.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Totally sounds like a hostile business break-up with some vindictiveness thrown in for good measure
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

I just got a reply from someone at heroinepowers.com's facebook page. They responded and I quote:
"yeah they'll never really stop us. I think I'm still able to sell through the heroinepower.com site but not on SHG-Media. This was bound to happen. Producers will just have to be a lot smarter about what they'll name their characters and stuff"

you draw your own conclusion on that status response.

If its no legal stuff and its not a DC takedown..what is it then? Overreaction? Competition? i guess everyone will find out one of theses days.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Personally, I don't think it's a DC crackdown. They would be sending out a lot of letters and emails and people like vivid and Axel Braun would definitely be the big fish to fry. No, my gut instinct is it's a bad business break up
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Reminds me of 2004 when SHC reported getting contacted by DC and having to take content down. But there was no copy-pocalypse affecting any other superheroine income earning site that I recall. Guess we'll see.
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
kingles
Sargeant
Sargeant

jimbobklyn5 wrote:I just got a reply from someone at heroinepowers.com's facebook page. They responded and I quote:
"yeah they'll never really stop us. I think I'm still able to sell through the heroinepower.com site but not on SHG-Media. This was bound to happen. Producers will just have to be a lot smarter about what they'll name their characters and stuff"

If its no legal stuff and its not a DC takedown..what is it then? Overreaction? Competition? i guess everyone will find out one of theses days.
Seems to me that instead of going after the little fish individually, they went after the whole aquarium. The fact that a few of the producers who distribute through SHG have other means of distribution is probably irrelevant to them for now. Again...read what Lee Carl said above. This sounds like a real problem here.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

avenger wrote:Personally, I don't think it's a DC crackdown. They would be sending out a lot of letters and emails and people like vivid and Axel Braun would definitely be the big fish to fry. No, my gut instinct is it's a bad business break up
Could be. because why all of a sudden...all of these videos from different producers are now gone from the SHG media site and the producers are not at liberty to say anything else at the current time?

Doesn't sound right. Also, heroine powers stated that they are not going to stop making videos and that they will post up their old and new videos on their own site.
kingles
Sargeant
Sargeant

avenger wrote:Personally, I don't think it's a DC crackdown. They would be sending out a lot of letters and emails and people like vivid and Axel Braun would definitely be the big fish to fry. No, my gut instinct is it's a bad business break up
They are also big enough to afford a long court battle, C4S is too. SHG is big enough to get peoples attention, but not to be able to afford to fight DC in court.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

and will post
kingles wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:I just got a reply from someone at heroinepowers.com's facebook page. They responded and I quote:

Seems to me that instead of going after the little fish individually, they went after the whole aquarium. The fact that a few of the producers who distribute through SHG have other means of distribution is probably irrelevant to them for now. Again...read what Lee Carl said above. This sounds like a real problem here.
I think the real problem..could be a bad business situation with SHG. If a DC takedown took place..everyone on this forum would of known about it. And if heroine Powers are able to have their videos posted for purchase on their own site and The Rye states that he'll be building a site of his own and will post up his old and new videos..then I think everyone is going to have to look at SHG.

Now, posting the video via clips4sale would be the way to go as well or posting it on a site they have build...but again, the focus now shifts to SHG Media.

read lee carl's statement..SHG didn't take down his video..he took it down himself just in case.

this is all on SHG and i just hope that some producer who has posted/co-produce there products via SHG makes a statement. they owe it to the fans of superheroine perils.

i may be a small time producer on this field..but i'm a superheroine fan before and after I started making fan films. i just hope soon...everyone gets informed.
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

jimbobklyn5 wrote:
Mr. X wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:

Well for me, my Supergirl Fan Films are non-profit (amateurish in a way) and I'm not making any money on it and are on YouTube..So I'm safe there. But now, what I'm interested in is..what will happen to all of the films that were taken down from SHG? Will we ever see them again? And what does that means for producers/future producers of this genre?
I'm sorry to say this man... but you're no safer than the rest of us!
there have been three companies that were fan based and were subject to takedown notices by DC, the most famous being Batgirl Spoiled which got hit really hard. they said they were going to try and fight it because they weren't making money on the project.

But I think you're going to be in for as surpass if they start gunning for everyone.

As for me. I'm not going to take anything down until I get a cease and desist from DC.
It will come in the form of a legal document from the creators. Sometimes there is a phone call first and a notice to expect a written letter in the coming days.

We have been down this road before.

They cannot do anything to us legally until we ignore the cease and desist
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

@
kingles wrote:
They are also big enough to afford a long court battle, C4S is too. SHG is big enough to get peoples attention, but not to be able to afford to fight DC in court.
That is true..but i think that SHG-Media or the producers involve with SHG should say something. lee carl made a small statement and heroinepower made a complete statement and they are still going to continue making films. but here's my point, When Batgirl Spoiled was taken down and that power rangers Parody films was taken down..everyone was informed about it. No fan was left hanging. Even if its taken to court..it shouldn't be kept quiet. The producers involved with SHG should kept people informed with what's going on. one by one...films started to disappear starting in late June. Why? What's the reason? to me..it bad business to keep people on this forum who have supported all of SHG Media Superheroine films from day one...hanging. Again, i know that the situation is tricky..but fans should be informed on these kinds of things.

Whether its profit or non profit or parody...nobody is safe when it comes to this field...everyone takes chances when it comes to being creative with certain superheroines..why? Because it a realistic sense..its creative, imaginative and fun to do and entertaining

Again, this is just my opinion and view.
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

KnightsofGotham.com wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:
Mr. X wrote:
jimbobklyn5 wrote:

I'm sorry to say this man... but you're no safer than the rest of us!
there have been three companies that were fan based and were subject to takedown notices by DC, the most famous being Batgirl Spoiled which got hit really hard. they said they were going to try and fight it because they weren't making money on the project.

But I think you're going to be in for as surpass if they start gunning for everyone.

As for me. I'm not going to take anything down until I get a cease and desist from DC.
It will come in the form of a legal document from the creators. Sometimes there is a phone call first and a notice to expect a written letter in the coming days.

We have been down this road before.

They cannot do anything to us legally until we ignore the cease and desist
i know I'm not safe. i know the risk...i think everyone who is involved in making Superheroine parody films knows the risk.
But, I'm with you....I'm not gonna take anything down until I get the same note
Last edited by jimbobklyn5 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
avenger
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

So what's up with the refacing of the wondergirlz site and quitting the superherogirls site altogether? The wondergirlz site doesn't even feature a wonder character
jimbobklyn5
Producer
Producer

avenger wrote:So what's up with the refacing of the wondergirlz site and quitting the superherogirls site altogether? The wondergirlz site doesn't even feature a wonder character
Exactly..somebody has to say something.