Thread bumping

Have a problem with the forum? get support here!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Really??

C'mon. Bumping threads intentionally to keep the thread in the top 5 recent topics seems pretty sketchy. And the constant simple replies like "can't wait" from so called other members that also bump these same threads also seems not very above board.

If you have announced a product has shipped I don't see why you're constantly stating this every day with the same advertisement other than to keep your thread at the top. And keeping 3-5 threads going at once. And then these same threads are across 3 forums when every producer has their own area. Ah look, you're product is STILL on sale now... again.. great news.

This is one reason I don't advertise here. What's the point. My stuff would last all of 12 minutes on the recent topic list.

Can we just kill the recent topics list? It seems to be just dominated by one interest. :hmmm:
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

With a producers section, a releases section and a lounge thread for the upcoming release of whatever it might be, most releases could potentially have 3 separate updates at a time. But as you say then things are getting bumped and in the past BTS threads or Director Recommendation threads have also been posted by the same producer and as you say it becomes pointless have a new posts section.

We have asked recently for a limit of three new posts at a time and at the moment that is being observed. I will make sure MH sees this post - I fully understand your frustrations and I agree with you with regards the new release being continually announced
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Mr. X wrote:
7 years ago

Can we just kill the recent topics list? It seems to be just dominated by one interest. :hmmm:
I've been giving that some serious thought.

I also might relegate all new releases to the front page only and allow all conversation regarding them to happen there.
It's better SEO for one thing and that's half the reason I integrated the blog and forum.
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

At this point I'd be willing to try anything. Is there a way to setup permissions by group?
Site admin, Ambassador, producer, millennium member, etc and then limit the amounts of replies members in that category can make? for example Producers have to wait 30 minutes before they can reply to anything but allow site members to have more wiggle room?
that might be a fair way of handling the constant bumps and replies by people.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Unless producers are answering direct questions from members, maybe there could be a limit of five bumps for posts which are pure advertising? Then it would be up to the producer whether they burn-up the five bumps in a couple of days or spread them out further.

Of course, there's always the risk of certain types of members asking questions which just happen to lead to another free ad.

"Does SuperCorsa look sexy while she's being garroted?"
"Yes, you won't be disappointed by the gorgeous SuperCorsa's INCREDIBLE demise in our latest BLOCKBUSTER! Don't miss this EPIC and AWESOME video. Now available at..."
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
KnightsofGotham.com
Producer
Producer

Heroine Addict wrote:
6 years ago
Unless producers are answering direct questions from members, maybe there could be a limit of five bumps for posts which are pure advertising? Then it would be up to the producer whether they burn-up the five bumps in a couple of days or spread them out further.

Of course, there's always the risk of certain types of members asking questions which just happen to lead to another free ad.

"Does SuperCorsa look sexy while she's being garroted?"
"Yes, you won't be disappointed by the gorgeous SuperCorsa's INCREDIBLE demise in our latest BLOCKBUSTER! Don't miss this EPIC and AWESOME video. Now available at..."
I should probably clarify my feelings so it cant be used against me later.
I have no problem with a producer bumping a thread.
Sometimes itrs acceptable whether they are answering a question or updating a situation. I bump my threads often....but what i do is update one thread that needs updating then If there is a different thread that needs an answer i will wait until the first bump is no longer in "most recents" so that my answers will not spam that section. I know that there is currently a three bump rule for producers but when there are only 5 slots in recent topics section having three threads by the same producer is overwhelming and kinda obnoxious.

Also for me there is no rule for answering other peoples threads. for example I have replied to 5 threads one after the other because im interacting with other members. there is nothing wrong there because A) im interacting with other members
B) Im not spamming the board with my products
C) Im not trying to advertise anything (no new updates or customs, etc)

So if someone else started the original thread I have no problems replying to them because its not bumping. its interaction, but when a producer bumps their own thread to keep it visible its annoying.
I personally wait until my older bump is gone before bumping a diufferent thread. I feel its respectful to everyone who has someting to say. Also sometimes I take several thread and answer them all in one post so I can answer several threads without having to spam the board.
If people arent going to have common courtesy then perhaps restrictions should be enacted

Ultimately though All we can do is bring our concerns to the admins and let them handle it
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I appreciate the concerns guys and it is something we are getting voiced from others besides yourselves.
MH is considering some options.

And to re-iterate KoG's point - whilst we encourage a three thread max promotion for producers at any one time (due to the existence of the Producers Corner, the Releases and Lounge section with a possible thread in it) there is NO LIMIT TO COMMENTING but have some sense - everyone knows that its only my opinion that matters so why waste your time? ;) - feel free to post on as many topics as you like but all things in moderation - if you see my name against the top 15 threads in any part of the board you are likely to think 'Oh, FFS!' well, guess what? The same applies if you do it - you wont win friends nor influence people, but just make yourself as popular as a fart in a spacesuit, so please all JOIN IN BY ALL MEANS BUT USE SOME COMMON SENSE.

TTFN

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

I gave some thought to this and here is what I want to do.

I will allow producers to bump their thread a total of one time. You can make your post. If you haven't received any feedback and want to add something else to generate some interest, I will allow that. After that one bump, unless you are responding to questions or comments, all future bumps will be deleted, so please take note.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

One seems a little rigid- would you consider 2?

I am just thinking that might be a bit fairer - as it allows an initial post, if theres no reaction a second bump after a week or so(or whenever they decide to post), no more reaction and then one final bump to drum up business

After all the effort that goes in to making these it seems a bit brutal to leave the promotion at the mercy of whatever might be being posted at the time you try and promote your stuff. We've had 3 or 4 simultaneous similar discussion threads develop before now (I'm thinking of SG on the CW, New Season SG spoilers, Cant wait for new SG season etc) and whilst we can combine them thats no good after the fact to a producer whose single bump got swallowed up in it.

Just my thoughts, but you are the boss

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

MH has now decided that there are to be A MAXIMUM of 2 THREAD BUMPS FOR NEW RELEASES AFTER THE INITIAL RELEASE MESSAGE FROM PRODUCERS. THIS DOES NOT AFFECT RESPONDING TO COMMENTS OR QUESTIONS WITHIN THE THREAD as replying to them is NOT considered to be bumping.
Its entirely up to the producers when they use their two bumps but I would suggest to get more coverage that they be spaced out by at least a week.
So assuming a thread has no comments the scenario would be
1) INITIAL RELEASE NOTE FROM THE PRODUCER IN THE RELEASES SECTION
2) Like the old Hobbit game on the ZX Spectrum, YOU WAIT. TIME PASSES. How much time is up to you. If no one responds or if the comments seem to have stopped, YOU CAN POST YOUR FIRST THREAD BUMP.
3) Again you wait, again how long is your decision - a week, a month its up to you. If you have no responses
or if the comments seem to have stopped YOU CAN POST YOUR SECOND THREAD BUMP.

And thats it.

You can continue to respond to any comments and questions in between AND THIS RULE IS ONLY TO BE APPLIED IN THE RELEASES SECTION - it does NOT affect updates in the Lounge on how shoots are going etc.

I am using caps for EMPHASIS I am not shouting at anyone. Any questions please post here