BLADE RUNNER 2049

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Just seen this and without giving anything away, I thought they really missed a trick with the story

Visually awesome as you'd expect from Scott but I found it a little overblown and self indulgent. Gosling was good (and I usually dont like him), a fair sprinkling of topless babes so a thumbs up there, but a much better ending would have been at the 3/4 way mark.

Anyone else seen it?

Below are my thoughts on what would have been a better ending (I GET TO USE THE SPOILER BUTTON! :w00t:)
Spoiler
When the child's sex is revealed to him. A better ending would have been him believing it to be himself, being hunted by both sides, then as he's dying the reveal that it isn't him but only he knows that, and then you could have the flashbacks to what the memory maker said to him and he put two and two together. Dies with a sardonic smile on his face.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
shevek
Producer
Producer

It was just too long, and the music was too loud, dark and jarring in many parts.
Story was good, though. Sexy women too. If I'm not mistaken, Sean Young literally looks as hot as she did 30 years ago, how is that even possible?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Thanks ywf, a follow on from that article is the BLADE RUNNER BLACKOUT 2022 an anime short that fills the gap between the two films

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/blade ... 0-6453687/

Its worth watching has some great sequences of animation and I really liked the sound track

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Despite everybody saying what a masterpiece it was, have to say, left me a bit cold. Truth be told though, as good as the first one was the theatrical cut was not the best, so maybe there's still work to be done on this one.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes thats my take exactly. Didnt you rhink a better ending would have been the 'reveal' moment with half an hour to go, then just work a llittle ending scene off that rather than just peetering out as they seemed to?

Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
6 years ago
Yes thats my take exactly. Didnt you rhink a better ending would have been the 'reveal' moment with half an hour to go, then just work a llittle ending scene off that rather than just peetering out as they seemed to?
Yeah I definitely think they needed something. But maybe that's not what they're after. I'm worried there's all this talk around about a 'franchise', so it might be that the project has always been artistically dead and merely intended to set up a gaggle of increasingly inferior spin-offs.
ivandobsky
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

I enjoyed this. Not especially clever, but great to look at. If you have access to a time machine, see it in IMAX 3D.
Lurkndog
Elder Member
Elder Member

It was worth a rental, especially for fans of the original. They certainly spared no expense trying to recapture the feel of Blade Runner, and by and large they succeed, it's just the storyline that's a dud.

The original has that fantastic twist where Roy Batty decides to save Deckert just because he can, and because he's the better man. It's a great ending that redeems much of the movie's flaws.

The sequel doesn't have anything that comes close to that, it just has an ending.