The Joker (2019)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Woohoo, we never need to hear about Jared Leto's shitty attempt to play The Joker again.

I'm not sure about this trailer. Which is probably a good thing. Not sure how they want to go with it. Weird thing is there's no sense around this trailer that Joker is a villain, and not much sense of the sort of villain he is. I mean in general he's always come across as being like a circus themed mob boss, he has hired goons, he has rackets, he does heists, he's very much a master criminal with a circus theme. In this he's got a bit of a Taxi Driver vibe.

Cast looks great though.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I saw this last night and thought it was very well done. Gritty for sure. Incredible performance by Joaquin Phoenix. An excellent standalone movie but if they throw enough money at him, I suspect he may relent and film a sequel. I'm hoping that doesn't happen though.

The movie certainly owes a lot to Martin Scorcese. There are plenty of allusions to his work, especially on Taxi Driver's city streets milieu and even more than a nod to The King of Comedy. A serious homage to that director's work. Which is somewhat ironic because Scorcese has come down hard of late on the superhero movie genre.

Joker is really barely in the same genre though. It's a total character study with only a smattering of plot thrown in to keep things moving. It's definitely worth seeing but it's not exactly a fun time. There are sudden splashes of horror and violence, be forewarned, of a Tarantino nature.

I haven't seen many male actor performances this year to rival Phoenix's here but there are still all those "important" Fall movies to come that generally create Oscar-worthy buzz. But if he doesn't get a nomination, the Academy is blind.

I'm interested to see what others here think about the movie. If you include spoilers, please hide them away as a courtesy. Highlight the spoiler text and then click on the spoiler button to the right of the "screenplay" box in the formatting row above. Thanks all!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Thanks for your review, I will endeavour to try to and check the film out!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Saw it last week. It is a true work of art, and deserves as many nominations as it can possibly get, including Best Actor for Joaquin Phoenix.

Also, Zazie Beetz somehow has this special brand of sexiness that shines through even when she plays a single mother living in a dump of a tenement.

What's interesting is that this movie did so well that almost all the critics who were hoping it would fail are now backpedaling and putting their own spin on why it actually has a message that is relevant to their particular ideology.

Anyway, I can't imagine there'll be a better movie this year.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Guess what. Sequel is a go!
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I don't see this posted yet. Lady Gaga will play Harley Quinn, and the sequel is a musical.
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Fuck it, it'll either be the worst thing ever or the best thing ever.