Supergirl Season 6 (the final season)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Bert

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
As a non-viewer, it's fascinating to me seeing everybody's watching experience of this show metamorphosing into a harrowing journey through the five stages of grief.
Grin! Harrowing is a little much, but the disappointment is really deep. The show went from being more than I could have hoped for (and as a lifelong Supergirl fan, that's saying something!), to unwatchable for MULTIPLE reasons - uber-wokeness, every cast member is a superhero, shockingly stupid storylines, purposeful avoidance of fight scenes...ughh, what a mess. Hopefully the remaining hardcore fanbase, which must number in hundreds, is satisfied.
Bert

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
My bar on this show is so low now that I am watching out of sheer obligation at this point. Feels like Melissa herself has checked out. So damn sad. The fact that I now care so little about how the individual character's storylines are tied up shows just how far this series has fallen. I used to be this series' biggest supporter.
Yeah, you held out longer than me. Kudos for toughness because I know how much decent writing matters to you.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I just assumed he was stoned when he watched it.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think this show also shows that merely tossing in a bunch of green check boxes and handing out participation trophies does not make a good show. That ultimately it still has to be writing and story and no gimmick character introductions or SHIPs.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
My bar on this show is so low now that I am watching out of sheer obligation at this point. Feels like Melissa herself has checked out. So damn sad. The fact that I now care so little about how the individual character's storylines are tied up shows just how far this series has fallen. I used to be this series' biggest supporter.
Is it Melissa you picture in your stories or someone smaller and more petite with blonder hair??
bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
That's just about how I feel as well, that watching the show is an obligation, that I must see it through to the bitter end. I suspect if the title character did not have such an iconic and rich history and lore, I may have given up on it long ago. Apart from the Lex Luthor arc which was fairly good, the last 3 seasons or so have been less than inspiring and mediocre but I hate to abandon a book or show in the middle of its run. Quite often though I will look and see 4 episodes of Supergirl amassed on my DVR and it seems like a chore to attempt to catch up. Why do I put myself through this? I guess I can't resist the legend and lore of Supergirl, even if the show itself doesn't quite live up to its name.
Last edited by bushwackerbob 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I am also annoyed with what they did to Lena.
In the earlier seasons, she was a smart and tough business chick and had some pretty sexy outfits!
And she had some interesting storylines! (like ...she finding out Supergirl's identity)
Lately, she mostly is wearing sneakers, casual clothes and has become a .....
Spoiler
witch?!? (sort of)
Vist my blog and its Youtube channel:
http://www.maskripper.org
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaskripperOrg

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

This plagued Wonder Woman as well. First season was fun. Second season was OK and so forth but nothing really happened to WW. Maybe one or two fights where she was matched. Other than that Wonder Woman always won, never lost, very little peril or risk. I guess they wanted to avoid some kind of violence against women issue or maybe Carter wanted away from that kind of content. But it got very boring. Only saving grace was Carter looked awesome in the costume and it was eye candy.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

batgirl1969 wrote:
2 years ago
DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
Is it Melissa you picture in your stories or someone smaller and more petite with blonder hair??
It's not really Melissa I picture but the character is about her size and shape, except her bust is larger. Honestly, there's no single person I tend to picture. It's the personality and behavior of the wonderful and courageous heroine that drives me to put her in such dire circumstances. I really miss writing her and will try to get going on her soon. I have a feeling people are missing my version of her.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
sneakly
Overlord
Overlord

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
This plagued Wonder Woman as well. First season was fun. Second season was OK and so forth but nothing really happened to WW. Maybe one or two fights where she was matched. Other than that Wonder Woman always won, never lost, very little peril or risk. I guess they wanted to avoid some kind of violence against women issue or maybe Carter wanted away from that kind of content. But it got very boring. Only saving grace was Carter looked awesome in the costume and it was eye candy.
Batman always provided a solid “how the f*ck are they getting out this” moment in every episode. It was regrettable they were getting chintzy on sets the last season and cheated Batgirl out of many much better death traps (Siamese human knot? Really?).

Linda Carter did quite a few tie-ups on the show and faced her share of perils (mostly as Diana Prince). Sadly, I don’t see Gal Gadot getting hung upside down from a giant bell clapper by the Book Worm.
helstar
Elder Member
Elder Member

Maskripper wrote:
2 years ago
I am also annoyed with what they did to Lena.
In the earlier seasons, she was a smart and tough business chick and had some pretty sexy outfits!
And she had some interesting storylines! (like ...she finding out Supergirl's identity)
Lately, she mostly is wearing sneakers, casual clothes and has become a...
There was a tv-serie that actually predated this outcome :giggle:

vnv7272
Sargeant
Sargeant

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
Most of the actors look checked out. They know they are being handed public service announcements and told to deliver them like actual story.
Bert

S1 (CBS, not including pilot episode) 9 million falling to 6 million.
S2 (The CW era) 3 million falling to 2 million.
S3 Steady at 1.8 million - The core audience, before the show went to absolute shit.

S4 1.5 million falling to 1 million.
S5 1.2 million falling to 0.6 million.
S6 0.7 million falling to 0.4 million.

So from S1 to S6 the show lost well over 90 percent of it's audience. I wonder what lesson studio execs will take from this? Almost certainly the wrong one.
Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ Well, you have to be very careful with these numbers.
TV numbers go down each year, especially among the younger audience ---- #streaming #you can watch a TV show on live TV?
Numbers on a show usually go down on a TV show over the seasons.
Numbers at the beginning of the season are normally higher as well.
Also, more and more TV shows competing for viewers each year --- #streaming services need content

But yeah, even with all these factors....it's a safe bet that the show lost a lot of viewers, especially male viewers ;-)
The pantssuit was especially poison for the numbers.

Masked women in action! Superheroines, burglars, villainesses are waiting for you...
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

They lost me in season 2 and whilst I've got all the episodes to view I got no inclination to bother at the moment. As someone said viewing them is like a chore.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

With such bad writing, the skirt was practically the redeeming factor for the show and they had to ditch it.
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Considering they were trying to portray a strong female role model as an independent powerful and free thinking character the idea that she had to be given a pants suit to wear ( and was both relieved and delighted to get it, don't forget) when she was the one who had chosen her own bloody uniform in the first place fundamentally undermined everything they were supposed to be about.
One of the smartest beings in the universe but she can't decide to change her own costume without a guy telling her what to wear.
Hooray! another blow struck for feminism- oh no, wait.
Well done guys. A new low for script writing

Bert

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
One of the smartest beings in the universe but she can't decide to change her own costume without a guy telling her what to wear.
Hooray! another blow struck for feminism- oh no, wait.
Well done guys. A new low for script writing
Oh God, that little beauty was David Mamet compared to some of the writing in the last two seasons.
Damselbinder

Found this BTS pic from yesteryear of Melissa Benoist and one of her stunt doubles. Thought it cute.

Maskripper
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

^ Melissa doesn't sit on HER chair, SCANDAL! :giggle:
Yeah, a nice (and sexy) picture from the better days of the show...

Bert

Sadly, it's probably a photo of her in the midst of breaking up with her former, abusive boyfriend.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Yes it looks like the stunt double is trying to be supportive

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Or it could be she's trying to order chicken francaise from the local restaurant and they're out of it. Jumping to major conclusions there, mates!

:crazy:

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Melissa Benoist on End of Supergirl, Loving Donny Osmond & Gift for Her Baby Boy
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
I just assumed he was stoned when he watched it.
A follow up on the last episode to air. I heard Lena now has magic powers? If so, why?
Her power was her genius and creativity.
Bert

Why? Because the combined number of unicorns owned by the writing staff of the show is in the hundreds.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

It was, to me, the most annoying aspect of a very disappointing season; the fact that the writers felt virtually every character of note was required to have some sort of powers or unworldly talent and was labelled a hero. Kelly, a brilliant social worker had to be become Guardian. Alex, one of the most kickass agents ever had to become whatever the heck they named her when she put on the heavy eyeliner and hood. Winn the brilliant and resourceful now is a super being from the future. And the poor journalist who only had his drive and courage and intelligence, well, he had to die! Are the writers saying that if you're not actually clothed in spandex or some sort of costume, you can't be heroic? One of the best episodes over the entire run of this show was the one when Supergirl LOST all her powers and still faced down a man with a gun during a store hold up. That was her heroism!

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
One of the best episodes over the entire run of this show was the one when Supergirl LOST all her powers and still faced down a man with a gun during a store hold up. That was her heroism!
The MCU lost this as well. In Avengers there is that fantastic scene of what obviously is an old WW2 survivor who stands up to Loki. "There will always be men like you".

Supergirl first or second season with the Flash had those firemen come in and take out Live Wire.

Now its to the point humans aren't even involved. Eternals for example were there are only two humans (the vallet and the boy friend of Circe) who are human and the boy friends is supposedly Black Knight.

By the time Endgame rolled around the ONLY people fighting for earth was people in spandex or Wakanda. Where was Ross? US military? That scene where Capt Marvel comes through the clouds I was so hoping that would have been a squadron of f15s or hulk busters or something HUMAN.
magical19122
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

The store clerk scene is one of my fav. non-peril scenes of the series. She does have alot of good characteristics throughout the show..but her latests outfits HAVE to go!
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I will say, in a defense of the series that when you add up all the peril scenes throughout the six year run, they do have some really great ko's, kryptonite weakenings, mild bondage moments and even a stabbing or two to get the blood going. Lately it's all mostly four second-scenes of SG being blown backward so fast you can barely see the effect before its over. Or those veiny k-skin moments that aren't great imho. Sighs. In a couple of months after the air clears, I'll probably go back and rewatch the early seasons and enjoy those shows. After Season Four, it's all downhill, for the most part.

Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
I will say, in a defense of the series that when you add up all the peril scenes throughout the six year run, they do have some really great ko's, kryptonite weakenings, mild bondage moments and even a stabbing or two to get the blood going. Lately it's all mostly four second-scenes of SG being blown backward so fast you can barely see the effect before its over. Or those veiny k-skin moments that aren't great imho. Sighs. In a couple of months after the air clears, I'll probably go back and rewatch the early seasons and enjoy those shows. After Season Four, it's all downhill, for the most part.
I would concur. My big "jumping the shark" moment may be when SG got curb stomped to death by Red Daughter, and Alex begs Mother Nature to share sun energy with Kara so she could recover! Plant power saves Supergirl? I hear they based it off what Superman did in the Dark Knight Returns comic, but really?!
I agree that for the last two seasons it's been a lot of pew-pewing with beams and blasting, rather than any real combat. Also, last season, I'd be watching, seeing these Leviathan baddies, and asking "How is she still alive?" as the baddies had abilities and resources that if smartly used would have ended her! I know Supergirl is a lovely blonde, but she isn't supposed to be a bubble-headed blonde! They sure dumbed her down from he silver age days!
For extra fun, a lot of people are complaining about people trying to SHIP a Supercorp relationship. It might help if they introduced a male character worthy of Kara's interest, and don't say William! He was not worthy. I got my hopes up when they introduced Brainiac 5 that they would recreate the romance from their silver age days, but no luck for the fans!

Well, now to end this journey in 30 minutes...

My 2 cents.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

OK, I confess, I don't mind the girls getting to have their fun and for Kara to have any chance of starting a relationship with anyone, short of Mon-El (ugh!) then Lena represents the best chance before the end of everything. It's just too late to instantly make up a love interest, surely?

Lena and Kara have always been there for one another, and even when forces have flung them apart they end up pulling together again. Heck, when Mr Mxyzptlk returned on his court ordered "make shit right" trip he and Kara did indeed find a way to do that, and everything was going amazingly between K and Lena in one version of the make-believe fantasy (until it couldn't).

So, yeah, I know that many struggle with the idea but seriously... it's the end of the show! Take a risk! Put them together! Please for the love of god, it was on the cards since their first meeting! Come on, do it, I dare you!
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I couldn't place the actor of Mxyzptlk then realized its Officer Dangle from Reno 911 only chubbier.
magical19122
Neophyte Lvl 3
Neophyte Lvl 3

Oh yea..that's right!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Would have been cool if they had Dangle and Junior but instead of cops they were petty crooks.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

It's over before they sunk to a new low with the bar already so low.

Brought back a lot of old cast members for one last time. Quite a lot of inside jokes like:
Spoiler
Helen Slater saying, "You think I was a Kryptonian." and having Alex reply, "Only in a movie."
They had all those fight scenes and did such a bad job. CGI and 6 feet distancing for most of it. It makes me miss Legends of Tomorrow where they still do contact fighting.
Damselbinder

Visitor wrote:
2 years ago

Brought back a lot of old cast members for one last time. Quite a lot of inside jokes like:
Spoiler
Helen Slater saying, "You think I was a Kryptonian." and having Alex reply, "Only in a movie."
They had all those fight scenes and did such a bad job. CGI and 6 feet distancing for most of it. It makes me miss Legends of Tomorrow where they still do contact fighting.
God, did they really put that line in? That's pathetic.
Danorian
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Damselbinder wrote:
2 years ago
Visitor wrote:
2 years ago

Spoiler
God, did they really put that line in? That's pathetic.
Yuppers. She even went a little Linda Hamilton on us with a shot gun. Ironically, that wasn't what had me going "No, no, NO!" to my screen last night!
Spoiler
We had further proof that the writers have NO clue about science.
They came up with some kind of solar siphon that the USA and South America built to beam more sunlight onto crops. As if they honestly need MORE sunlight shining on our overheating globe! And the secondary effects from it I think they came up with so they could use their pyro budget to blow some stuff up. It would've been more believable if they went with Die Another Day(yes, I'm a James Bond fan too!)route with solar reflectors!
Oh, I guess Lena is DC's sorceress supreme since she mastered magic with a global scope in a matter of weeks?! Any fantasy gamer out there would be ripping their hair out over this. Maybe in a couple years? But weeks? Utter BS!
Oh, the "big" fight. Did they spend one big bad's worth of CGI on five baddies? That was some VERY piss-poor FX!
My No, no, NO bit came when the two "Guardians" took out a Metallo. RLY? A baddie able to brawl with Superman and Supergirl gets beaten by a pair of humans? Maybe Batman, but otherwise NOOO!
And to top off the insult parade was Kara revealing her secret ID at the end. The reason a hero has the secret ID is to protect family and friends. Now her Mom, sister, sister-in-law, and niece are in mortal danger from any of Supergirl's foes!
There were other shitty details, but I think I just blocked them from my memory. Honestly, beyond the first ep of this season, I wanna erase the rest of this season from my memory. And I'm a MAJOR Supergirl fanatic!

My 2 cents.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

A Supergirl series drinking game while bingeing....drink a full glass of whiskey everytime she makes a hope speech.

shevek
Producer
Producer

DrDominator9 wrote:
2 years ago
A Supergirl series drinking game while bingeing....drink a full glass of whiskey everytime she makes a hope speech.
How about a drinking game where you take one every time someone says "empowered" or "power" or "disempowered";
or "authentic" and "inauthentic"; or, for good measure, add on "patriarchy", "objectification", "consent", "toxic",
and "your truth" or "my truth"...academic gobbledygook from the past two decades, now transplanted into pop culture.

Anyway, glad this show is over. It's a shame. If you want to see what an exciting season finale should be like, check the last two
episodes of Titans Season 3 or The Boys Season 1. This is just the opposite. The writers of Supergirl don't even like the concept of superheroes, because it implies inequality. So they stripped away the unique heroism of the title character (which, to be honest, is also much of her attractiveness) as the final conclusion, and hijacked the characters to deliver propaganda instead of entertainment.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Or if you want to quit the booze, watch the entire series and drink every time you enjoy an episode

Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
Or if you want to quit the booze, watch the entire series and drink every time you enjoy an episode
That means you get drunk at the beginning and have to sober up watching it get worse. :)
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Exactly, nobody said quitting would be easy.
You've got to search for the hero inside yourself.

Imagineer
Overlord
Overlord

I don't know why I watched the last few episodes, but I did.
It got weird and silly and brought me right back to this:
dragontigerandhorse1985
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
I was hoping for an excellent analysis from one of the better writers on here as to how bad episodes 19 and 20 were.
Episode 20, Supergirl faced no danger except to bore everyone with her inability to have any life goals

Cat Grant comes back and while on the beach, spews from memory crap from a poorly written script. Lex gets taken out of the world but makes no sense as to his ending.
Lena's mother finally dies but who cares.

There is a stupid wedding
Hero's from the past as mentioned by others come back for what can only call a curtain call.

Jimmy Olson makes a return but does not even say hello to the girl of steel.

They should have made it a two hour movie and brought the Flash back as they are all on the same earth, correct. In fact that would have made sense in fighting Lex and what's her name.

Season six is a waste of film and energy in the actual electricity it took to run the cameras and stuff to make this crap.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Imagineer wrote:
2 years ago
I don't know why I watched the last few episodes, but I did.
It got weird and silly and brought me right back to this:
Exactly - When everyone is super, no one will be.

James Olsen's power should have been from behind the lens of his camera. His sister's power should have been from her skill to read people and aid them in making themselves a better person. Lena's should be from her own genius, misguided as it sometimes could be. There could have been so much power in these characters, just from being human beings, that it should not require anything more for them to be special. This show was encumbered by bloat ... a sad way to end when things had started so well.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

dragontigerandhorse1985 wrote:
2 years ago
tallyho wrote:
2 years ago
I was hoping for an excellent analysis from one of the better writers on here
Well I hope you don't mean me as I stopped watching in season 2, 😂

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The last episode had me on the edge of my seat... I was trying to reach the remote to turn it off.
Damselbinder

More pleasantness.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I hope Melissa gets something like a romantic comedy or something. I think she is lucky that she can change her hair and pretty much distance herself from supergirl unlike Linda Carter who always looks like Linda Carter.