The Expanse Season 6 (Amazon)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Sure, it's around holiday season so I'm watching a lot of stuff. For some reason, it escaped me that The Expanse season 6 was out,
but since it only released a couple weeks ago, I quickly caught up last night on the first three episodes.

Season 6 is a slow burn, covering the battle between Earth/Mars and Marco Inaros' Free Navy. By Episode 3, they're on Ceres.

The only plot which exists outside of that is a weekly glimpse into Laconia, the extra-solar colony on the other side of the gate.
So far, that glimpse hasn't given us much: I was under the impression that Laconia was going to be shown as a "dark empire" coming
back to brutally conquer the solar system, but instead all we get so far is a crybaby little girl and some odd-looking CGI'd alien creatures (I might be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, they're not in the books?).

So far, I recommend staying on it for the space-opera elements and the space battles. However, I fear that we might not get some
answers to some basic questions about all the alien tech, before the series ends. This is essentially a "mini-season", and there are only 3 episodes left to wrap up whatever they have to finish.

One can vainly hope for a revival to produce more seasons, but who knows? It costs so much, and if Amazon isn't going to pony up, who will?

In the meantime, I can't access this, but if you can use your phone or computer to click on where it says "bonus content", you can watch 25 more minutes of hidden content, which they are calling "X-Rays". See the info here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/24/228 ... azon-x-ray

Or follow the directions of the Expanse Writers' room:

Our series #TheExpanseOneShip can be found in the “Bonus Content” section of the X-rays! Whenever you play an episode of #TheExpanse on your phone, tablet, or laptop, click “X-ray” then “View All” to find it.
expanse bonus material.jpg
expanse bonus material.jpg (77.22 KiB) Viewed 703 times
Also check out this inspirational cosplay of Drummer.

Last edited by shevek 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
shevek
Producer
Producer

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Sure, it's around holiday season so I'm watching a lot of stuff. For some reason, it escaped me that The Expanse season 6 was out,
but since it only released a couple weeks ago, I quickly caught up last night on the first three episodes.

Season 6 is a slow burn, covering the battle between Earth/Mars and Marco Inaros' Free Navy. By Episode 3, they're on Ceres.

The only plot which exists outside of that is a weekly glimpse into Laconia, the extra-solar colony on the other side of the gate.
So far, that glimpse hasn't given us much: I was under the impression that Laconia was going to be shown as a "dark empire" coming
back to brutally conquer the solar system, but instead all we get so far is a crybaby little girl and some odd-looking CGI'd alien creatures (I might be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, they're not in the books?).

So far, I recommend staying on it for the space-opera elements and the space battles. However, I fear that we might not get some
answers to some basic questions about all the alien tech, before the series ends. This is essentially a "mini-season", and there are only 3 episodes left to wrap up whatever they have to finish.

One can vainly hope for a revival to produce more seasons, but who knows? It costs so much, and if Amazon isn't going to pony up, who will? Besides just money, another obstacle is that books 7, 8, and 9 are written 30 years in the future, so the characters would
have to be aged up by CGI (or replaced) to continue the storyline.

In the meantime, I can't access this, but if you can use your phone or computer to click on where it says "bonus content", you can watch 25 more minutes of hidden content, which they are calling "X-Rays". See the info here: https://www.theverge.com/2021/12/24/228 ... azon-x-ray

Or follow the directions of the Expanse Writers' room:

Our series #TheExpanseOneShip can be found in the “Bonus Content” section of the X-rays! Whenever you play an episode of #TheExpanse on your phone, tablet, or laptop, click “X-ray” then “View All” to find it.

expanse bonus material.jpg
Dogfish
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

I think this is the final series of the Expanse, could be wrong? I think the Laconians come back in the books or something, but they're wrapped up now too as far as I know. I think the TV show is just following the Roci and her crew.

Am waiting to see if it sticks the landing and has anything remotely happy going on at the end before I dig into the last two seasons, I'd watched up to season four but it was such a huge series of downers I figured I'd pass unless it perked up a bit.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Dogfish wrote:
2 years ago
I think this is the final series of the Expanse, could be wrong? I think the Laconians come back in the books or something, but they're wrapped up now too as far as I know. I think the TV show is just following the Roci and her crew.
Well, my point was is that's not ALL that it's doing. Every episode in the final season has a short glimpse of a rather idyllic-looking Laconia in it, even to the point of introducing a new main character (the little girl who is the daughter of two colonists).

Why bother at all to introduce an entire new planet into the series, unless someone plans to do something with it down the line? (and yes, the Laconians return to the solar system in the later books and try to conquer it). I haven't read Leviathan Falls yet (the final book 9) and I definitely need to.

I'm just really hoping this hints at an eventual spinoff on another network or streaming service. The showrunner has said it's possible.

https://ew.com/tv/the-expanse-amazon-se ... n-shankar/
shevek
Producer
Producer

So, 3 weeks later, what did everyone think of the ending? (which was released on Jan 14)

Without spoilers, I still don't understand what the point was of bothering to include *anything* about Laconia unless they are planning to make a movie about that sometime soon (because I'm seeing a lot of videos from Youtubers saying that there's no way anyone is going to make more seasons, for several obvious reasons). In the finale, you only get the smallest bare glimpse of the evil dominating force that Laconia would become - it's practically nothing.

I'm also surprised that
Spoiler
within a day of her son's supposed death, Naomi is grinning broadly ear-to-ear? The show makes clear that Philip registered himself as the owner of his little ship, but does that mean that Naomi got the notification about it? If not, why would she be able to shake off her grief so quickly? It makes it seem shallow.

And I'm also wondering how Philip managed to sneak off the Pella so easily in the first place. I understand that Inaros' faction might have been too immersed in the battle to notice, but wouldn't Marco have posted some guards to prevent defectors from grabbing
escape pods so easily?

The "entities" are also a bit of a conveniently manipulable Deus Ex Machina. I thought they were supposed to be grave threats to the entire system - too much mass and energy at one time through the ring, and everyone could be in danger. Yet nothing was harmed by them but the Pella. Not Medina Station, not the Roci, not the Giambattista, not anything else. Convenient.
Otherwise than that, it was a satifsying wrap-up. If you read the books, you already knew
Spoiler
almost nobody important was going to die.
Shohreh Aghdashloo deserves an Emmy for her performance, although she is quite unlikely to get one.

And you do understand there is a subtle but poignant "progressive" message to the Transport Union press conference at the end, right? The Expanse never shied away from politics - in fact, that's pretty much all the series is about - it just never bashed you over the head with Current Year interpretations of it.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I'm going to binge watch this at some point.
Spoiler
I did like the way interstellar travel is done. Instead of worm holes or warp speed or jumps the technology opens a gate into a pocket dimension and all the gates of all solar systems open into this pocket dimension. So you simply go to a pocket dimension and travel to another gate then to a new system.

I also don't understand why they have the Laconia story line with the dogs resurrecting the kid if the show is effectively over. Maybe, unlike BSG NG they shot hoping to continue instead of slapping an ending on and calling it done.
korda
Henchman
Henchman

The protomolecule was a key element during the show and they showed the alien spaceship at the end of the fifth season, so it was an important plot element for the sixth season regardless of whether the show was renewed or cancelled.