The Hyperions (a superhero comedy film)

Avengers, Batman, Superman, etc Discussion about comic mainstream movies and TV shows.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Synopsis:
A twisted take on classic Disney, combining live action and animation, THE HYPERIONS is an inventive, imaginative superhero film like no other. Famous, beloved and endowed with unique superpowers by Professor Ruckus Mandulbaum’s “Titan badges,” the young trio of superheroes were adored and admired for their courageous, globe hopping actions. But over the years, as egos bruised and resentments developed, the professor replaced the team with newer members. Years later, two of the original teen crime-fighters want their powers restored and they’ll stop at almost nothing to get them back. THE HYPERIONS is a fantastically fun superhero action comedy throwback.
Release date: March 10th, 2022.
Damselbinder

This looks faintly interesting. Costumes have a pulpy, old-school charm, and I'm always up for a story where both sides are motivated by vanity.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Just heard whisperings about this on the Eric July chat today, and here it is!

The costumes are simple and tight. The women are beautiful. The subject matter looks like action and drama.
It's Jupiter's Legacy meets The Thundermans. I'll be looking forward to watching this one.

By the way, anyone think that the blonde superheroine (Vista Mandulbaum, played by Penelope Mitchell of Vampire Diaries) and her costume look a lot like Skyfire from The Rye? Just a coincidence, of course, but it's nice to see the classic tropes revitalized. This is everything the EW&DG reboot wasn't.

This show is set in 1979. So the costumes make even more sense for the campy superheroine time period.
There aren't any real good frontal shots yet of Vista's costume (see below for some poster art) but I'm sure screen captures will provide us some. It would be great if they included some nice peril in this like old Power Rangers episodes (this production is distributed by Saban Films! Daily Wire didn't produce it - they merely acquired domestic rights.)
hyperions retro poster.jpg
hyperions retro poster.jpg (831.57 KiB) Viewed 879 times
hyperions modern poster.jpg
hyperions modern poster.jpg (128.11 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Last edited by shevek 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

That other darker girl looks hot. And form fitting suit.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Mr. X wrote:
2 years ago
That other darker girl looks hot. And form fitting suit.
Yes, Elaine Tan - British/Chinese actress, academy-trained, appeared in lots of musicals and TV shows in the UK.
I did say "the women are beautiful", right? (Sorry if I got sidetracked by the Skyfire comparison).
Tan's character seems to serve a similar function to Lady Liberty of Jupiter's Legacy (superheroine mother hen).
Couldn't find any other photos than the one posted above, though. Screen grabs shall come.

Besides The Thundermans, I'm also getting vibes of Sky High, and of course, the Titans themselves.
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

If you're in the U.S., you can stream the movie for free, but only for a limited time. So, watch it while you can.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Nykron wrote:
2 years ago
If you're in the U.S., you can stream the movie for free, but only for a limited time. So, watch it while you can.
Got another link? (if it's legal?) That one was private. Would love to see this!
Nykron
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

shevek wrote:
2 years ago
Nykron wrote:
2 years ago
Got another link? (if it's legal?) That one was private. Would love to see this!
DM sent.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Well, that was highly understated. At the beginning, I thought it was going to be a fun romp like Batman '66. But by the end, it turned out more like a Wes Anderson flick...'The Royal Mandulbaums', maybe? I had way more questions than answers after it was over.