Scavengers Reign ( [HBO] Max, 2023)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

This is more in the sci-fi vein than superheroic, but there is some interesting peril and girl-power heroics in this series.

Mainly I'm recommending Scavengers Reign because not only is it a top sci-fi concept, but it's also the best animated series of the year, rivaling or topping Primal or Invincible in visual attraction and complexity. A bunch of survivors crash land in various pods on an alien planet with an almost infinite variety of native lifeforms, and they must make their way back to the ship, which has also crashed and still contains a bunch of other humans in cryosleep.

I think this story has been done somewhere before (frankly it reads like a very 1970s concept), but I can't remember where. It doesn't matter - there's so much eye-opening originality to this series anyway.

Remember how fantastic the world-building was in Valerian (even though the acting was extremely lackluster) and how visually resplendent it was?
Like that, but in animation, made in America but it looks it's from Europe. Detailed attention to the creatures of this world is off the charts. Compare also to Fantastic Planet and the works of comic book legend Moebius, or the detailed bestiaries of Dark Crystal and Love & Monsters.

The story runs a little slow but then again there's so much to see visually along the way, along with figuring out the extremely complex way in which the creatures of this world, Vesta Prime, all fit in with each other like a intricate puzzle.

Casting-wise, there's a bit of "diversity out front", as the most prominent lead character (the one placed on much of the publicity) is a black lesbian, but she's no Mary Sue - she goes through a whole bunch of hardships which test her mettle, and also her 'metal', as she has a trusty robot companion who is apparently not what he seems (he may have been reprogrammed by the planet itself!). He takes his lickings and keeps on ticking. I'm not sure why the other survivors don't also have companion robots.

Also, it looks like the women are the smart ones in the story: the lesbian 'bad ass' knows how to grow crops, battle creatures, and fix bikes; the nerdy woman with the glasses is an expert at robotics and machines; the third one with the brown skin and slight build (Ursula) is intensely curious about biology and the nature of the planet's organisms and will probably be the one coming up with an important conclusion about the planet that will 'save' the ship's crew later on (or something like that). The two dudes, on the other hand, basically just want to hack-slash their way across the planet or kill things, and they seem insecure and unable to operate without the women. You get to the point where you assume this kind of stuff is intentional in the storytelling, not simply by accident.

The one extreme peril scene which I thought was amazing was actually more akin to body horror transformation, happening to a female protagonist. It's in Episode 3 (I've watched all three current episodes so far) if you want to check it out. There's no sex, or anything that's really sexy, not to say it couldn't happen later on.

Highly recommend for everyone to check out who likes top-notch sci-fi and incredible animation. (like beyond Studio Ghibli level, really!)
scavengers reign.jpg
scavengers reign.jpg (202.01 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
shevek
Producer
Producer

Anyone watching this? I'm six episodes in and caught up. Still amazing visuals and creatures around every turn, this world is getting a bit more brutal.

Kamen is literally living and traveling inside the hulking telekinetic beast.
Azi cries over the death of her intelligent robot, it's very moving, I've never seen anything like that before.
There's an organism that is creating golems (or homunculi) of the humans, it's pretty gross body horror kind of like a Bodysnatcher.
Nobody has gotten back to the Demeter (mother ship) yet, but there is one escapee kid who fled from the cryosleep chambers into the wilderness.

Best animated series of the year for sure!
shevek
Producer
Producer

Still nobody into this? Nine episodes in, and still nobody has gotten to the Demeter.

But a small group of moon miners came down to the planet and have joined Azi in her trek. Azi gets in trouble but the miners help her.
Ursula and Sam are still struggling on, saving each other from peril, but both are injured.
Kamen is apparently still riding inside that malevolent hulk of a telekinetic beast who seems to want to destroy the human presence.
Getting to be a bit more of a horror feel for this show, because it looks like the planet's creature are hunting the humans or trying to turn them into hosts for parasites. But we continue to see all kinds of incredibly designed species.

3 more episodes left!
shevek
Producer
Producer

FInished Season 1.

Let's just say the lesbian love affair is consummated.
Someone gets off the planet (you'll have to watch), and someone is revived thanks to the planet's ecosystem.
Looks like there'll be a Season 2 as there's a cliffhanger which will bring a new group (some kind of religious cult) calling to the planet.
Strangely rewarding show.

Oh, and also, Azi is in peril situations:
EP 10 She is bound with her hands and feet and has to figure out how to escape.
EP 12 She is levitated into the air and the beast tries to crush her.
With a character who is attractive (unfortunately there are none of those in this show) that would all have been quite hot.
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

I am also watching this. It is a beautiful animation and hope that there will be more. I like the whole savage world thing from the 1960s, 70s and 80s which Heavy Metal magazine expressed so well. I also enjoy Love, death and robots. Does anyone watch that?
shevek
Producer
Producer

sensualbarbarian wrote:
5 months ago
I am also watching this. It is a beautiful animation and hope that there will be more. I like the whole savage world thing from the 1960s, 70s and 80s which Heavy Metal magazine expressed so well. I also enjoy Love, death and robots. Does anyone watch that?
Yes, I love Savage World stuff too from the same time period.
I did buy my share of Warlord, Red Sonja and Ka-Zar comics.
Don't forget the Savage Land from Marvel...who didn't love Savage Land Rogue?

But in today's media there are two problems that can cause Twitter to jump down your throat:
- It' s impossible to depict hot women in those scenarios.
- You have to tiptoe through a minefield not to offend anyone's culture, or risk being called colonialist etc.

I think Primal did a good job of avoiding those pitfalls, because it was set in an alternate prehistory, although there was really only one hot woman in it and she was evil.

What's easier these days, I think, is to avoid offending any Earth cultures by just putting the exotic savage setting on another planet. Avatar didn't do the best job at that and it wound up pissing some people off. But it worked for Raised By Wolves, and it's working for Scavengers Reign. Just make sure that your cast of explorers and adventurers is suitably diverse looking.

As for Love Death and Robots, I made a thread about Season 1 four years ago.
https://superheroineforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=163142

I never went beyond Season 1 but I do see there are two more seasons I need to check out. I'll top that thread if I do.
sensualbarbarian
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

shevek wrote:
5 months ago
sensualbarbarian wrote:
5 months ago

But in today's media there are two problems that can cause Twitter to jump down your throat:
- You have to tiptoe through a minefield not to offend anyone's culture, or risk being called colonialist etc.

I think Primal did a good job of avoiding those pitfalls, because it was set in an alternate prehistory, although there was really only one hot woman in it and she was evil.

What's easier these days, I think, is to avoid offending any Earth cultures by just putting the exotic savage setting on another planet. Avatar didn't do the best job at that and it wound up pissing some people off. But it worked for Raised By Wolves, and it's working for Scavengers Reign. Just make sure that your cast of explorers and adventurers is suitably diverse looking.

I never went beyond Season 1 but I do see there are two more seasons I need to check out. I'll top that thread if I do.

With Love, Death and robots, I did enjoy it, but i felt that after a while the stories were quite repetitive and not as creative and imaginative as Heavy Metal magazine/1981 animated movie etc. With the exception of the Jibaro episode in season 3 which was amazing. I definitely agree with you with regards to the minefield, but at least in the world of comic books, manga and anime, that is less of a problem.
shevek
Producer
Producer

sensualbarbarian wrote:
5 months ago
shevek wrote:
5 months ago
sensualbarbarian wrote:
5 months ago

With Love, Death and robots, I did enjoy it, but i felt that after a while the stories were quite repetitive and not as creative and imaginative as Heavy Metal magazine/1981 animated movie etc. With the exception of the Jibaro episode in season 3 which was amazing. I definitely agree with you with regards to the minefield, but at least in the world of comic books, manga and anime, that is less of a problem.
Yes, Jibaro was good. I went back to look at the episodes and I was mistaken - I had watched all three seasons.
The Swarm was OK, too - sexy stuff that did recall the Heavy Metal days. It was easier to be creative and imaginative in the 70s before
postmodernism really took hold.