Thoughts on bearhugs and backbreakers?

General discussions about superheroines!
ducky23
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

Your guy's thoughts?
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

OK, I confess - my answer is "I don't get the attraction". That doesn't mean I am not interested in knowing what the attraction is though, and what the psychology of it is and what buttons it presses. But still, I don't get it, but I know some readers, and watchers of heroine peril like to see it. So spill, ladies and gents! What's the dealio?
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I'm not exactly a fan of backbreakers nor extreme physical abuse either. Bearhugs do attract me though. For me, the appeal of the bearhug is the helplessness of the heroine while in the arms of the villain who takes advantage of the opportunity to be very close to the body of the heroine.

In the case of this "classic" scene from Wonder Woman for example, I find it hot that she's struggling in his arms, seemingly helpless while the villain enjoys having her bewbs pressed against his face. :D
piper (1751).jpg
piper (1751).jpg (142.95 KiB) Viewed 1441 times
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

brdiy wrote:
5 months ago
I'm not exactly a fan of backbreakers nor extreme physical abuse either. Bearhugs do attract me though. For me, the appeal of the bearhug is the helplessness of the heroine while in the arms of the villain who takes advantage of the opportunity to be very close to the body of the heroine.

In the case of this "classic" scene from Wonder Woman for example, I find it hot that she's struggling in his arms, seemingly helpless while the villain enjoys having her bewbs pressed against his face. :D

piper (1751).jpg
Ah okay - I can get that. The proximity, the struggle and the opportunity to take advantage - thanks for the explanation. It doesn't press my buttons like bondage does for example, but understanding the buttons and why they work at least adds to the idea pool for writing peril - so thanks for opening up.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I love seeing those booties shaking around.
bbsucks
Henchman
Henchman

For me, bearhugs and backbreakers do different things (but both are good).

The appeal of a bearhug is that it's an opportunity to show a slow steady decrease in the heroine's power level. In a good one (or my opinion of a good one), you see the heroine struggle, you see that level of struggle decrease, you might get the arms dropping to the sides, the head may droop, etc. I always think that's fun in the same way that a choking scene or sleeper hold is fun, if done a certain way. The progression from super powered and awesome to weak and vulnerable is a lot of the appeal of the genre for me, so that's a good move to play with that.

The backbreaker, on the other hand, which I'm assuming is the thing where they drop a heroine onto the villain's knee, is fun in that it's a big punch-out moment that can often be used to punctuate the moment of defeat that unlike an actual punch out, leaves their body on display in a very bendy way, which is... well... more fun than a punch-out.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I think they are fun cause it affords a long, drawn out struggle session and can look great in slow motion. Instead of punches which are quick, a producer can film a struggling girl for a few minutes and it seems legit and allows some hands on.

I also like the locked hands pose as well in which the heroine and bad guys are hand locked and pushing on each other.
joejanus
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

The chest to chest bear hug as illustrated above I can understand. What I don't get is the back to chest bear hug because it's almost always shown with the villain grasping the heroine around the ribs (to get closer to her breasts I suppose). That kind of pose may break a few ribs with a huge amount of strength required. Doing the Heimlich with my hands wrapped tightly around a heroine below the ribs forces the air out of her lungs, quickly subduing her, leaving her helplessly trying to breathe and failing.

I guess I'm a weird stickler for heroine peril anatomical correctness. One of my other bugaboos is a vibrator tied to a crotch rope, but way too high to do anything but vibrate her stomach rather than her clit. It might give her indigestion but wouldn't be likely to turn her on.

As to backbreakers, I hate them. :no: The last thing I ever want to do is leave a heroine permanently paralyzed (or maimed for that matter) and that is the likely result that a back breaker implies by its very name. I know most artists who show such a move, end up with their heroine magically not paralyzed, but there's no other point to that maneuver. Emotionally paralyzed is a whole different thing. :evil:

You can guess what I think of Alan Moore's revenge on DC with The Killing Joke. Joker is by far the best argument for the death penalty IMO. DC was much better off when they did "imaginary stories" that didn't alter the continuity. Did they learn nothing from the dimension explosion of Infinite Earths?

Thanks ducky23 for asking the question.
Last edited by joejanus 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
bgrhugs
Sargeant
Sargeant

brdiy wrote:
5 months ago

piper (1751).jpg
grrr!! goon just got lucky
bgrhugs
Sargeant
Sargeant

Have done alot of roleplays . And will say it might be one of the favorite things villains like to do to this heroine. Seems there is a big crowd of evil that enjoys putting us heroines in bearhugs..
ThatOnePervert
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Like a lot of people here I prefer the bearhug to the backbreaker. The first feels very intimate, the betrayal of trust and comfort that normally comes with a hug into something of dominance and potentially perversion depending on where the bad guy's hands roam.

A backbreaker is just violence, which on its own does very little for me. I do have vague memories of a video where a heroine was held in the post backbreaker position and fingered, but my appreciation on that scene relies more on the latter act than the former.
mcg
Neophyte Lvl 5
Neophyte Lvl 5

Backbreaker is hot depending on how it's done.

When the villain drapes the heroine over their knee and you see her struggle then pass out, you get physical domination first and then humiliation as the heroines ko'd body is now on display.

One where they get a quick drop on the knee then fall to the ground is a waste.

Bearhug is the same. Physical domination followed by humiliation.

All done with comic book violence. No real injuries etc. This is all fantasy.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

The only scenario I find any eroticsm in.

Is if the villain or for that matter a hero was bear hugging a heroine/villaness with huge breasts they counter by smothering him with them to take him down
ducky23
Neophyte Lvl 2
Neophyte Lvl 2

mcg wrote:
4 months ago
Backbreaker is hot depending on how it's done.

When the villain drapes the heroine over their knee and you see her struggle then pass out, you get physical domination first and then humiliation as the heroines ko'd body is now on display.

One where they get a quick drop on the knee then fall to the ground is a waste.

Bearhug is the same. Physical domination followed by humiliation.

All done with comic book violence. No real injuries etc. This is all fantasy.
You got any recommendations in mind?