Deviant Art SNAFU

Topics, links and pics that are interesting, weird, or irrelevant!
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Anyone that produces stuff, and posts it on Deviant Art should read this.

http://jitenshasw.tumblr.com/post/14578 ... t-ponyking
Obnoxiously, this affects me.

So... I'm going to have to look into an alternate means to showcase my stuff now.

If you produce anything of note that you care of, you should too.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Wow! So everything an artist or writer submits to DA becomes the site's property to use however they want? That is downright shocking! Hopefully when the news spreads it will hurt the sight enough to make them change their ways.

Is this typical of sites like this?

I know when I submit a piece to the Wizards Lair story contest they own my rights to that specific story submitted, but I don't believe that's the case for all general submissions over there....but I'm certainly going to confirm that.

Thanks for the heads up, Kitten
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

DrDominator9 wrote:Wow! So everything an artist or writer submits to DA becomes the site's property to use however they want?
Nope.

http://crowneprince.deviantart.com/jour ... -451602368
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
digitalbleh
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

DeviantART does not retain any ownership nor right to ownership of any artwork posted by artists. Therefore they do not have the right to liscense it to others eg: hottopic.
The artist should sue hottopic.
http://deviantart.tumblr.com/post/84568 ... ember-that
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

Much appreciated guys.

I just got pointed to the Tumblr page and was seriously concerned about the looming possibility of an evil empire at work.
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I guess this is a good lesson in unofficial sources seeming authoritative. People post all sorts of stuff on teh Interwebz. You can even find Flat-Earthers speaking with 'scientific' authority. Despite the fact that a flat Earth would require many millions of people conspiring to lie about the shape of the planet for centuries.
Last edited by Heroine Addict 8 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
Kitten
Elder Member
Elder Member

I think this was a fair and legitmate concern.

The DA response came out only after the Tumblr report, and really Legal mumble jumble is the kryptonite of casual artist everywhere.

If i hadnt shared my concerns I'd still be in the dark.
Ezekiel
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Well, it's very good that you posted, but as a general rule don't take sources like tumblr too seriously without performing additional checks with regard to the information presented there. That place (and many others on the internet for that matter) is crawling with misinformation.
Bert

[quote="Heroine Addict"You can even find Flat-Earthers speaking with 'scientific' authority. Despite the fact that a flat Earth would require many millions of people conspiring to lie about the shape of the planet for centuries.[/quote]

Plus there's, you know, physics.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Bert wrote:
Heroine Addict wrote:You can even find Flat-Earthers speaking with 'scientific' authority. Despite the fact that a flat Earth would require many millions of people conspiring to lie about the shape of the planet for centuries.
Plus there's, you know, physics.
HE'S A WITCH! BURN HIM!
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).