Anyone having problems?

Have a problem with the forum? get support here!
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

A member contacted me by private message to say they were having intermittent trouble over last few days .

I have been snowed under with work lately so not on much or for long, but has anyone else had problems?

Please post details here stating how often, how long it lasted, what devices you were using etc. And I will raise it with the boss

Thanks

T.
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Hi,

the one with problems is me.
I use a laptop, with Windows 11 and Chrome as a browser.
One thing I noticed, the problems do not appear on all threads, but it is always the same ones. Either it works or not. Usually it seems possible to open it, but then the picture freezes and at some point times out.
As far as I noticed, among the threads with the problem are my own introduction thread, the Helen Slater thread and and another older thread here in the technical forum, where Mr. X mentioned similar problems (going by the title).

Edit: Whereas this thread gave me no problem at all.

Kind regards,
Vega
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Okay, just tested it with Edge instead of Chrome. At least I could open and post in my introduction thread. I will see, if any problems come up later.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Have noticed intermittent inability to access the site, or sometimes even navigate between locations when I am here. I am on Win 10 - using Firefox on a wired connection. It's a gigabit fibre connection so am sure it's stable. The outages generally last minutes.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Intermitted trouble loading a topic on Apple Safari. This has been a problem for a long time.

Clears up on its own after some time and then reoccurs.
spandex4fun
Sargeant
Sargeant

I been happinening to me, too on both my phone & tablet. This site has been acting funny as of late.
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
Ernie
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Windows 10, Firefox. Couldn't access site for hours this morning. When I try to access and it fails, access to some other sites is then affected. I have to close the browser and restart, then access to the other sites is fine. The disruption often happens in the wee hours. If I can't sleep and browse the web in the early morning I very often can't get into this site.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

One thing I would suggest is you can click Delete Cookies at the bottom of the page and you'll have to login again but that might clear up some login issues. I am planning to move this board to it's own server by the end of the month.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Intermittent problems loading on Chrome for quite a while. It just won't load at all, or a couple times it loaded the first page but I couldn't click on any threads.

Typically I'll either restart the laptop (Dell) or wait a few hours and come back to it, and it'll be fine.

But the inability to load does keep happening occasionally - it even happened earlier today.
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Yes, today I could enter several threads in Chrome, which were freezing the last few days.

Thank you for the time and effort you invested. :)
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Visitor wrote:
10 months ago
Intermitted trouble loading a topic on Apple Safari. This has been a problem for a long time.

I’ve noticed this site is very unstable on Safari.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

IMSancho wrote:
10 months ago
Visitor wrote:
10 months ago

The wild animals make it nervous.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
10 months ago
IMSancho wrote:
10 months ago
Visitor wrote:
10 months ago

The wild animals make it nervous.
Well-played.
argento
Overlord
Overlord

not.jpg
not.jpg (362.42 KiB) Viewed 7353 times
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

LOL! Well, there have been a lot of improvements. I can see the load times have improved for sure.

If anyone else is having issues, let me know.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

The like "Thumbs up" have vanished. I can't like a post anymore.
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

DonShip wrote:
10 months ago
The like "Thumbs up" have vanished. I can't like a post anymore.
And it is not just the button. It is also no longer shown in the profile, how many times someone has thanked/got thanked.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

RIght. THat has been temporarily removed. The code behind the "like" button was old and it needs to be updated. The author of that plugin has been having issues with maintaining his updates. Another reason why I am moving to a more stable software platform...

It was affecting the site load speed and I am looking at getting updated code from the author to help mitigate bad data queries.
VegaTaxeca
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Thanks for the quick explantion. :thumbup:
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

We all appreciate your dedication to the site, MH. How are you at fixing electric toothbrushes? Mine is acting weird.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yes thanks for the site! One thing I have noticed is the thumbs up button is gone.
DonShip
Overlord
Overlord

MightyHypnotic wrote:
10 months ago
RIght. THat has been temporarily removed. The code behind the "like" button was old and it needs to be updated. The author of that plugin has been having issues with maintaining his updates. Another reason why I am moving to a more stable software platform...

It was affecting the site load speed and I am looking at getting updated code from the author to help mitigate bad data queries.
:thumbup:
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yeah, just for info and not to nag - but the code/tagging for SPOILERS has also gone - so, if anyone had been trying to be discreet in a thread, you might find whatever you had hidden under there is currently on show.

AEM

MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

Abductorenmadrid wrote:
10 months ago
Yeah, just for info and not to nag - but the code/tagging for SPOILERS has also gone - so, if anyone had been trying to be discreet in a thread, you might find whatever you had hidden under there is currently on show.

AEM
That is true. But the code for the spoilers has recently been updated so I will be adding that back.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
10 months ago
Abductorenmadrid wrote:
10 months ago

AEM
That is true. But the code for the spoilers has recently been updated so I will be adding that back.
OK Coolio! LOL - I'd click the thumbs up but... well you know. Anwywho- thank you - it's a great forum you have here and it would be too easy to forget what you do for us - so we thank you for your continuing efforts.

Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I also noticed the hide text for spoilers option is gone unless I don't see the button.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

No you are right, it's gone for a Burton

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

Aside from not using Safari, what can I do to prevent this?
4A7EDB45-5A55-48CD-A157-A9D784F52AF5.png
4A7EDB45-5A55-48CD-A157-A9D784F52AF5.png (140.46 KiB) Viewed 7157 times
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

MightyHypnotic wrote:
10 months ago
If this is Safari try clearing out your cookies and then retry.
I tried that. It didn’t work.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

This site has become almost unusable for me. It keeps logging me out.
spandex4fun
Sargeant
Sargeant

It's now lagging on me while using both in the phone & my iPad.
IMSancho wrote:
9 months ago
Just a man who loves powerful ladies in skintight spandex. Tight is right.
MightyHypnotic
Site Admin
Site Admin

IMSancho wrote:
9 months ago
Is constantly logging you out the only issue? If you're using a Mac or iphone can you try a different browser to see what happens?

For everyone else, hang in there a little longer. I am making changes and upgrades since the hardware and OS has reached end of life and I will be moving to a cloud platform that should be more responsive for everyone.
Feel free to keep posting here if you are running into issues and I will address whatever I can.

As far as the lagging goes, Im afraid that is because of the hardware not being able to keep up at times. Forums and servers are ideal targets for hackers and bots to gain entry to spam the forum or take over the server. The safeguards in place are all software based which means resources that usually run the server are being used to thwart the attacks such as firewalls and built in brute force protection.

In a cloud environment there are hardware based firewalls that deal with this so the forum server can do what it's supposed to do, serve up forum pages.

I am confident once the switchover is made, the forum will be much more responsive with no lag.
IMSancho
Elder Member
Elder Member

I’ve had smiler issues on Chrome so maybe it’s the device I’m using.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Any progress on getting the thumbs up code MH