Supergirl can fly. So does her skirt.

General discussions about superheroines!
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Yup just saw that. Don't know why they use bicycle shorts. What are they afraid of with at least a leotard cut. I swear its 1950 all over again. If she's wearing shorts then why bother with the skirt? At least in the arrow cross over she had some granny panties.

Good fights though.
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Is it possible the stunt woman for SG has a tattoo or two on her thigh and that's what they are hiding?
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Heroine Addict
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

From the BTS video Kevin Smith posted a while ago, it seems there are two distinct types of Supergirl costume; the standard leotard used in the majority of scenes and the flight/fight leotard with a harness underneath. Given that Melissa and/or her stuntwoman are usually getting thrown around when the cycling shorts appear, it seems likely they're covering the stunt harness.
"A brass unicorn has been catapulted across a London street and impaled an eminent surgeon. Words fail me, gentlemen."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

:detective: By Jove Holmes! You've done it again! :thumbup:
How strange are the ways of the gods ...........and how cruel.

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Not really buying the wire work since in the Arrow cross over when they were fighting on the roof top she clearly was doing wire work in some places and had granny panties. Plus the stockings would cover up most tattoos. Could just be laziness too. Just pointing out Supergirl has some lack luster upskirt shots.

Also there are other scenes where she clearly does an upskirt with no shorts on. so it has happened in the past.
Night_Lantern
Sargeant 1st Class
Sargeant 1st Class

Came across some new research courtesy of Ms. Benoist’s Insta feed...
939E31FC-A67B-4595-B071-E98E0EA4F452.png
939E31FC-A67B-4595-B071-E98E0EA4F452.png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 6237 times
Mel’s crotch back on full display!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

^Tell me you managed to download the video. :)
Check out my superheroine-related short stories here:

https://archiveofourown.org/users/brdiy/works
steveri023
Neophyte
Neophyte

wrestpet wrote:
8 years ago
Even when landing from air. Cat's little son who is a big transfert orly fan of her couldn't believe his eyes when his biggest crush heroine lands from train roof revealing her leotard.
Super girl is cool but i prefer Wonder woman who is realy hot!
Thanks!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

so long skirt. We hardly knew ya...

bushwackerbob
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

Yeah, it's a shame, but on the flip side, Melissa will be more "comfortable" in the elements in Vancouver. After all, we can't have actors or actresses feeling uncomfortable, heaven forbid! I am forever grateful that Lynda Carter's Wonder Woman was never filmed in Vancouver.
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I hate this so much...My God she was beautiful in that costume...it saddens me as a woman that people have become such snowflakes that we can no longer be objectified as a sex symbol or helpless heroine even if stronger than every other being on the planet but a few...what a shame...glad I was not raised that way...at almost 30 I feel like my generation is failing us fetish loving heroine fiends!!!
Bert

The remaining audience for the show will not be satisfied with these half-measures at de-objectification. The producers should have had the courage of their convictions and gone all in. By next year, I believe Supergirl will be bald and clad in a red, blue and gold burka. There will no longer be villains, eliminating the need for fight scenes that might somehow be viewed by someone as exploitation of something. The show will instead be devoted to a revolving series of angst causing misunderstandings between the various race, gender and politically fluid cast members. Supergirl will renounce her unused powers as species privilege and the show will be renamed Woke Hominid Mammals Interact.
smith12
Neophyte
Neophyte

I'm sure they'll just put a bag over her head or that stupid helmet they kept reusing. Seems like the next logical step since they appear to be getting rid of all feminine features for a superheroine.
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I gave up on it after season 2. Ive taped the remaining shows but have less and less urge to bother ploughing through 50 hrs of inanity for the odd scene where she looks hot

I am here to help one and all enjoy this site, so if you have any questions or feel you are being trolled please contact me (Hit the 'CONTACT' little speech bubble below my Avatar).
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

really makes me glad I have a hot little blonde girlfriend who loves cosplay as much as I do!! It is nice to have your very own supergirl to look at anytime you want!!
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

I bet that if Captain Marvel hadn't beaten her to it, she'd be sporting a butch haircut next.

DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

I'm expecting the worse and hoping for the best. Trying not to grind my teeth until it premieres on Oct. 6th to see how bad things are.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Damselbinder

Uhh...

...I kinda like the new outfit. :/
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
Uhh...

HE'S A WITCH!!!! BURN HIM!!!

Damselbinder

tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
Uhh...

I mean, even if I didn't like it, I could hardly complain. I had Spectra in one of my stories switch from a revealing leotard to a cover-all bodysuit as a sign of her growth as a heroine. It's an easy visual shorthand for maturity, y'know?
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
Uhh...

I mean, even if I didn't like it, I could hardly complain. I had Spectra in one of my stories switch from a revealing leotard to a cover-all bodysuit as a sign of her growth as a heroine. It's an easy visual shorthand for maturity, y'know?

CONFESSION! STILL A WITCH!!! GET THE DUCKING STOOL!!! (and I did say DUCKING)

brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
Uhh...

I have no problems with superheroines wearing (skin-tight) body-suits, but we already have tons of heroines who have always been in that get-up right from the start. We already have Batgirl and Batwoman, for starters. And yes, they do rock the body suit and I have no doubt Melissa would look great in one as well, but to me, that's not Supergirl.

theScribbler
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

Maybe she'll end up wearing both costumes. The bodysuit for outside and the skirt for inside.

Maybe in a fight with a powerful acidic villain, the bodysuit will prove feeble protection...rip...rip...rip...rip...oh no! Bare legs and some revealing cleavage and side boobage!

:super:
the Scribbler

:christmastree:
If U C Xmas tree on TV show
it's Xmas Activism! :christmas:

:lynda1:
If U C attractive brunette in a movie

it's Dark Haired Women Activism!

Be very careful!
Don't B indoctrinated!
Cover your eyes! & ears!
:tv:
batgirl1969
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

what about the skirt but with or without pantyhose?? 😐
Damselbinder

brdiy wrote:
4 years ago

I have no problems with superheroines wearing (skin-tight) body-suits, but we already have tons of heroines who have always been in that get-up right from the start. We already have Batgirl and Batwoman, for starters. And yes, they do rock the body suit and I have no doubt Melissa would look great in one as well, but to me, that's not Supergirl.
If she's not Supergirl without the skirt, etc., then may I ask what is it about the character that you actually like, such that her clothes are so important that she's "not Supergirl" without them?
smith12
Neophyte
Neophyte

Romulus on Supergirl.tv had this to say "The ditching of the old suit, although necessary for health (YVR's weather) and range of movement issues, was a colossal, brand damaging mistake. They took the one constant, reassuring aspect of the show (the suit) and threw it out the window. On a show that has no discernible long-term viable consistency and an increasingly unstable structure, that's one of the most fundamental things that they initially got right. Now, not so much. They've removed or dislodged a key support beam of the entire project.

The show's brass and wardrobe could have "enhanced" the older version (light, cosmetic changes, enhancing or removing the Euro jersey top look, skirt and cape length and weight, hosiery, insulating the boots, etc.), and weatherproofed it. They wouldn't have needed to mar or damage the culturally significant image the way they have. Ditching the skirt - female empowerment issues aside - was to de-feminise and de-power the character. I would state that the skirt, in a figurative sense, was a key and defining attribute that enhanced her power and femininity. This is what they really should be striving for. It's not who wears the pants has the power, but who wears the skirt and leads by example.

I will cite the more recent big screen Wonder Woman iteration as a prime example of how female power and projection should and does work well and that the Captain Marvel version (although financially successful) does not. CM has credibility issues because it is genericised and fits the fanboy fantasy fanbase mould. The current WW, not as much. Supergirl's new look is too reminiscent of the path they chose for CM. This is the prime reason why I have been taking gargantuan hissy dumps in my Forum topic(s) and replies as of late."
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Damselbinder wrote:
4 years ago
brdiy wrote:
4 years ago

If she's not Supergirl without the skirt, etc., then may I ask what is it about the character that you actually like, such that her clothes are so important that she's "not Supergirl" without them?
C'mon. Most heroes share the same universal values - fighting evil, fighting for justice, defending the weak, 'doing whats right' -the suit defines each of them thats the point. Their values are interchangeable. Creating something androgenous for a suit on an established character is just inane in a character whose very name is feminine.
And lets face it the superhero 'character' is usually paper thin anyways. Batgirls values arent noticably different from Wonder Womans which are the same as Batwomans which are the same as Supergirls. Ultimately we like the characters for how they look which is defined by the suit.

tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

I mean imagine the reaction if this suit had been the choice from the first episode?
It would have been decried as defeminising a feminine character and , yes people would have said as brdly did 'thats not Supergirl'

Bert

There are still a lot of unknowns. Weather has been offered as a reason for the change. I don't know if that is the real reason or not. (I can't understand why shows that shoot in Vancouver don't film through the summer. The summer weather there is beautiful.) Much of the show is shot indoors, and when they are outside, Melissa only has to be in the suit alone while they are actually filming a take. She can throw on a coat the rest of the time. I fear the change has more to do with the current show runners purposely taking the show in the exact opposite direction to what we want to see. There seems to be a very concerted effort to avoid fight scenes, play down the sexiness and make everything revolve around what is currently being called "social justice" issues. Season 4 caused me to lose interest in a TV show that was a dream come true for me when it debuted. Hints at what season 5 has in store make me think they are going even further down that road. Youtube highlights only for me from now on, unless I'm out to lunch on all this.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Supergirl has had many costumes in the past, and I'm sure everyone here would agree that the skirt is the most iconic look if not the one constant to Supergirl. Take that away and she's just another generic superpowered hero.
tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
I mean imagine the reaction if this suit had been the choice from the first episode?
It would have been decried as defeminising a feminine character and , yes people would have said as brdly did 'thats not Supergirl'
I still remember there was a collective sigh of relief online when they released the first photo of Melissa in costume. It seemed to me everyone was expecting her to be in pants and a leather jacket for the show. Maybe next season they'll ditch the cape and give her the leather jacket. Who knows?

JohnFeer
Henchman
Henchman

Are those pictures of MB sprawled on the ground archived anywhere?

JF
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I'm not a huge fan of the skirt anyway. Catsuits are so much hotter and fetishistic. Plus, it was getting time for a change anyway after five seasons. The show is geared towards a different demographic than lustful middle-aged men lol.
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

Shakeshift wrote:
4 years ago
I'm not a huge fan of the skirt anyway. Catsuits are so much hotter and fetishistic. Plus, it was getting time for a change anyway after five seasons. The show is geared towards a different demographic than lustful middle-aged men lol.
Ooh, middle-aged. I'll take it!!
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

I would love to see the miniskirt make the occasional reappearance within the tv show, but for the most part it's time for a long-overdue wardrobe change.
Bert

Shakeshift wrote:
4 years ago
In the spirit of open-mindedness and reasonable discussion, let me just say: You take all of that back right now! :lol: :lol:
Bert

Sgirl stomp.jpg
Sgirl stomp.jpg (34.68 KiB) Viewed 4586 times
tallyho
Ambassador
Ambassador

Shakeshift wrote:
4 years ago
I would love to see the miniskirt make the occasional reappearance within the tv show, but for the most part it's time for a long-overdue wardrobe change.
Possibly, but why choose SuperMAN's wardrobe?
:giggle:

Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

tallyho wrote:
4 years ago
Possibly, but why choose SuperMAN's wardrobe?
:giggle:
Possibly the conveniences of his sort of wardrobe were realised during the filming of the Overgirl scenes and while they needed SG in Lena's anti-Kryptonite suit, both of which were similar versions to what she is now going to end up with. I'm going to miss the more traditional based costume for sure ...
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
Shakeshift
Producer
Producer

Nobody wants to freeze in a miniskirt in Vancouver in November through March. Those outdoor scenes can take days to film and who wants to spend a 14-hour day outside in the bitterly-cold wind? Even with a heated trailer and long overcoat, that has to be uncomfortable. I don't blame MB for pushing for an insulated catsuit.
brdiy
Elder Member
Elder Member

Shakeshift wrote:
4 years ago

Melissa may look hot in a catsuit but that's not Supergirl, just as Yvonne Craig may look hot in a miniskirt, but that's wouldn't make her Batgirl!

emma88
Neophyte
Neophyte

wrestpet wrote:
8 years ago
Girls love fashion. No exception even she is super. She has chosen a short skirt over a leotard and tights as her costume.

Not the best piece of clothing to cover below hips for a crime fighting heroine. Specially one who flies all the time and having fans who most are little kids. It covers appropriate amount when she is standing normal but reveals lot more when fighting. Getting ass kicked for a super heroine is an embarrassing thing specially in the middle of the city in front of her fans. When her skirt goes up and even cape is no where near to cover her under garments, it's more embarrassing. It is no different from fighting bad guys while wearing a hippie dress she got from a clothing website.

Here are some moments she revealed her leotard underneath the skirt while saving the National city.
That's a great point! It's true that Supergirl's costume doesn't provide enough coverage when she is fighting, but I think it has a lot to do with the fact that she is such a strong and powerful superhero. She needs something that is light and flexible so she can move and fly freely without getting bogged down. Plus, it's still practical as it provides enough coverage while she is standing or walking. I'd also argue that it is still a pretty decent costume for a crime-fighting hero and it looks really cool.