How Wonder Woman's powers and weaknesses work

General discussions about superheroines!
Superheroinegirl22
Sargeant
Sargeant

Superheroine Peril videos always either use the rules from the Lynda Carter show (doesn't have her Powers without her Belt) which is understandable as the most well known version to non Comic reader.

Or it's like more modern Comics where she doesn't have a weaknesses really, it just takes a more powerful opponent.

I feel like there are a lot of opportunities that could come from using the original Golden Age rules, where Binding her Bracelets/Wrists together causes her to become weak and submissive.

It seems if the Bracelets are emphasized during the Peril at all, they're just taken off. Which I'd always prefer they stayed on.
rayman
Overlord
Overlord

Maybe a little of a tangent but I find a lot of videos boring because they turn into a "normal" heroine being destroyed.

Like WW without her belt it just seems pointless to me. At least with SG and the dread K it is gradual while a debelting is always like a switch being flicked .

I am not very knwledgeable about comics but I much prefer the WW character from The Justice League cartton series.
Creator of - Cobalt - Swiftstrike - Lady Death and more
DrDominator9
Emissary
Emissary

The way I write her in my stories is that when she is debelted, she loses her super-human strength and speed but still has the grace, strength and training of a world class athlete. Not an easy takedown by any means.
Follow this link to descriptions of my stories and easy links to them:

viewtopic.php?f=70&t=32025
Abductorenmadrid
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

In my WW story I tried to define some of WWs powers (and weaknesses) by just making up some stories about some of her items up front, like the lasso and the belt. It was all a bit artsy fartsy but I was hoping to maybe engage the readers brain to see if they could figure out how the antagonist would de-power our heroine. I just wanted to do something different from just taking the belt, or just taking the lasso and while I know chloro is a solid 'go-to' tactic against WW I hope offered an interesting alternative instead.

I agree with DrD, that the underlying character of WW is still an honorable, skillful, athletic strong willed character who just doesn't crumble at the moment of losing some part of her arsenal.
My avatar courtesy of https://www.deviantart.com/sleepy-comics

My current story is Supergirl V Bane

This is all the stuff I've done here but don't tell anyone about this!
dantoon
Henchman
Henchman

A lot of WW's recent characterization in modern comics is as a proud Amazonian warrior, and her powers are her's naturally. Hell, she even uses a sword and her lasso is often used to slam her enemies around. I don't even think she has the belt anymore for that matter. The closest depiction on these videos I've seen to the modern WW is Kelly Kula's Lady Wonder on Heroine Legends.
Dazzle1
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

I prefer the Golden Age Wonder Woman as well which had it's share of non sexual bondage ff, mf and fm. Or the JLU Wonder Woman which had the relationship between her and Batman.

I dislike the new version with the sword wielding Wonder Woman, but than I hate most of the new characters of the classic heroes as well

In regard to de powering her, beside the belt and lasso, men were able to take her powers by chaining her wrists but there was a question weather a woman could

She is also suspectablemto to gas, chloroform and electricity and the club to the back of the head
Superheroinegirl22
Sargeant
Sargeant

I'm pretty sure the Belt was never a factor in the Comics.
Visitor
Legendary Member
Legendary Member

The belt as a source of strength was the Lynda Carter TV series version.

The version 1 comic books in the Golden Age had her strength gone if her bracelets were chained or welded together by a man. However there were several issues where she still had greater than normal strength while chained and was able to break the chain during an adrenaline surge of anger. There were also the times where the placebo effect of thinking that a man had chained her bracelets caused her to think she was weak. The worst was a Teen Titan comic issue where Robin lassoed her with a Bat-rope and she became helpless even though her bracelets weren't connected.

Version 2 and 3 comics got rid of any weakness by chaining her bracelets.
Mr. X
Millenium Member
Millenium Member

So she's basically supergirl without the heat vision.
Centurion
Staff Sargeant
Staff Sargeant

Pretty much. I have comics where her only stated reason for changing into costume is, "It wouldn't do for Diana Prince to be seen rescuing people."

Actually it helps to imagine Wonder Woman as roughly equivalent to THOR (without the weather control powers and the machismo). I mean she can hold her breath for an hour at a time WHILE wrestling a giant kraken AND at the same time worrying about whether Steve Trevor is still thinking about her. Hold that picture in mind next time you see a video where an ordinary burglar comes up behind her and chloroforms her. :)