Crossbreed (2019)

Discussions about Movies & TV shows not "Super" related.
shevek
Producer
Producer

Crossbreed is a new notable movie that just came out this week. It's a video-on-demand film and will then move to DVD/Blu-Ray in March.
I was blissfully unaware of its existence until I heard about the red-carpet premiere on the Mindless Entertainment Youtube channel.

The film starts Vivica A Fox and Daniel Baldwin, and hearkens back to the 80s and 90s sci-fi action flicks like the Alien and Species series, and the more recent Riddick series. It also sets up a universe where the Earth in the near future is about to be in conflict with a race of extraterrestrials.

At only 86 minutes, it's worth an hour or so of your time to see what can be done if you return to the pure fun we enjoyed from such movies in their heyday. This movie just happens to be the first time that a black woman (Vivica) was cast as the president of the United States in a feature film, and the announcement of that choice went viral back in 2016, but there's no mention of anyone's identity in the movie dialogue. It's a normal rated-R sci-fi film with no particular activist connotations, lots of violence and sex talk, and a decent alien monster.

Also exciting is that the flick was produced by a veteran B-movie producer and horror/scream queen who is quite a gorgeous and ambitious woman: Devanny Pinn. Devanny actually plays the first iteration of the alien monster in the film, looking like a 'crossbreed' between a xenomorph and Mystique from the X-Men.

Pinn looks like she could easily play a sexy superheroine, and I'm surprised that she has stuck only to blood-and-splatter and that nobody has asked her. Anyway, more power to her and the director Brandon Slagle (who has a long resume of B-movie horror content), because they hit it out of the park.

I do have a handful of small gripes about the movie though:
Spoiler
- Sometimes character repeat lines unnecessarily, like when the group leader Boss says "All right" a few too many times.
- The part near the end where they are under the White House strains incredulity a bit. You'll probably wonder, like I did, how the alien got down to Earth (it did not seem to have its own transporter, or know how to use one) and also how a bunch of gloomy tunnels and shabby warehouse corridors got under the White House in the 21st century.
- When the alien creature, which was initially female (played by Devanny), later turns into a male (designated in the credits as 'Mach 2' [sic, the proper term should be 'Mark 2']), you have to wonder why that was never explained - was it an adaptation to better function as a living weapon? The development of the creature is almost entirely left unsaid.
Abyway....check out Crossbreed!

Devanny in her makeup as the alien' s initial form. Sexy and dangerous!
crossbreed photo 1.jpg
crossbreed photo 1.jpg (167.6 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Movie poster featuring the stars and a nice photo of Devanny's character.
crossbreed photo 2.jpg
crossbreed photo 2.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 529 times
Vivica A Fox and Devanny Pinn at the premiere.
crossbreed photo 3.jpg
crossbreed photo 3.jpg (112.38 KiB) Viewed 529 times